Epona shoes - experiences and opinions please?

Peaches

Jun 29, 2008
Hi guys,

my horse has an injury to a hind fetlock, primarily tendon damage causing the fetlock joint to drop, leading to unsoundness. He has had treatment over the winter and a gradual return to work, and the vet and farrier have liased and had him in eggbar shoes on the back (he's normally shod, but just standard shoes. Normal shoes still on front feet). The purpose being to lift and support the heel and in doing so, the joint allowing the tissue to heal in it's correct position. He initially had heel raisers in too but now they're out and it's just the eggbars.

The problem being, he is now fully sound and competing dressage, schooling and hacking, but the shoes are VERY slippy. He's usually a very sure footed horse but these eggbars make his back feet very insecure on tarmac, wet soil, concrete etc - basically anything other than a school sureface or hard compact soil, when he would normally be fine. This worries me as they aren't beneficial in healing an injury if he's just as likely to get another one in the process because of the shoes!

Anyway, he is back to the vets at end of month to decide about jumping. I hope the shoes can go back to normal but if not I want to go with info on alternatives. One of which I wondered about was the epona shoe, as it looks as it it could offer support, but be less slippy than metal eggbars...?

I will of course talk to my farrier too beforehand but does anybody have any knowledge, experience or opinions on these, particularly for this sort of situation. Primarily - are they slippy?! And if anybody knows a price guide for the UK that would be interesting too.

Website here: http://www.eponashoe.com/

Thanks =]

Klebert, I think her user name is on here, has just come back from a course I think.

PM her.

newrider.com