Encouraging Forward?

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Previously when I have posted about contact, some people have said they would get 'forward' before worrying about contact.

We have slopped along on the buckle for over two years, and wrongly or rightly have been working on getting his back end under him which has been helpful for us so he isn't pulling himself along on the forehand.

However, I noticed when I had a lesson last night and friend joined us, he was much more forward when following her horse - obviously because it is more fun and interesting.

How would you get a horse more 'forward' if not worrying about contact or back end working.

As you have spotted yourself, lots of interesting work! Some horses will need a jump or two, some lots of transitions. Above all avoid constantly repeating the same exercise..that is a good tactic however for the opposite problem!!

Every horse has its own 'keys'..most of my RS horses will work better in open order with lots of transitions and rein changes, ponies more in ride order, (I think that is more to do with rider skill though!)

Problem is finding what's interesting ... If Hebe thinks work's over, she does the most wonderful relaxed, soft, purposeful walk towards the gate. But nothing else seems to produce it. She likes being out with other horses, but I haven't really got anyone to ride with. Jumps and trot poles make her rush, which isn't the same at all!

I think the key is finding what motivates them to up the pace a bit. In Dolly's case if I immediately ask for a fair distance of trot as we head out the lane it seems to wake her up and get her mentally thinking forward and makes the rest of the ride easier on my legs as she responds better.

With some others I have rarely found forward unless they are out with other horses! But there again with other ones, forward was more available when they were hacked or worked alone.

I think it is trial and error TBH.:unsure:

Hacking is quite sparky for mine :hot:, as is anything EXCEPT schooling!!!!

And schooling is where I need for him to be forward so that we can get him off the forehand. I do a bit of schooling out hacking, but it isn't quite the same, can't get circles out schooling which is helpful for getting that leg under him.

Hey ho!!

For my boy placing a few trot poles in the arena wakes him up no end! it's amazing what a couple of poles on the ground do to his whole attitude!!! Lots of transitions at the start of the session also get him going more forward but it's less successful and more hard work than the poles!

I don't have an answer for you, I just wish my boy had your problem sometimes! In fact I'm about to post about it...

Maybe we could arrange some kind of transfusion - your boy can have some of Ziggy's energy in school, and Ziggy could have a chill pill??:unsure:

newrider.com