Electric fencing help please!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
We currently have the Equistop B1 9v energiser. My horses have decided to escape recently so we put a car battery on it as it's supposedly compatible with 12v too. Anyway it's still not keeping them in!

Can't put fencing on the mains as YO won't do it. So would buying a more expensive specific 12v energiser work better?

Bearing in mind my horses rarely escape when I'm there but typically escaped 5 times in 2days whilst in am away this weekend grrr!

Sods law - happened to me while I was awa ylast weeekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the earth stake put in well? If no earth then it wont work - also presume batteries are charged? :eek: and checked all the connections?

I suppose the earth stake could be knocked into ground further....will do that when I get home later tonight.

The fencing does have a fair amount of snapped sections and therefore knots tying it back together

Horses and Electric fencing....ARGH!!!! :( Ours are a nightmare. :rolleyes:

Knots don't help, but if the energiser is giving enough of a kick, it should keep Houdini horses in. Definitely check the earth stake, and make sure it's not draining somewhere.

You can buy stronger energisers, they aren't cheap though. Here, from the Veterinary supplies centre in Budapest, you can byt Zoo energisers - they do them including Lion strength and Elephant strength! Guaranteed to keep in lions and elephants....and all other 'large things you don't want running around the countryside'. They are VERY expensive though....around £500! :eek:

Definitely bash the earth stake in well and water it (it sounds silly but it does make a difference). Make sure the battery is well charged and the connectors to the energiser screwed on tight. If you have a fence tester go all the way round the fencing to see if there are any bits where the power drops off. At these points, wrap a metal paperclip around the fencing. If this doesn't work, replace the tape and make sure the fencing isn't shorting out on trees, hedges or undergrowth.

Good luck! :)

As a rule aim for 1 metre of earth rod for every joule of energy on your energiser. If your energiser is 5 joules you will need 5 metres of earthing and ensure earth stake is located in damp ground.

Electric fencing may work well in the winter but in the summer months if the earth is dry it will not work so well.

Thanks for all your advice, il be going up later to sort it. I've often watered the stake....didn't realise I was doing a good thing tho! Lo!

Will def have a play with everything later to c wats going on!

The naughty renegade lonks sneak under the wee gap in the "proper" fence in our top field and help themselves to extra grass, but at the expense of knocking off the green dragon clip or the red one - thus rendering our leccy fencing null and void until the following evening when I come to bring our two in for the night!!!! I think our pair are past zizzing themselves tho, they have tried to escape (successfully) once, but I think it was down to frustration for JOe as they were in separate paddocks due to his poorly leg. You can generally hear our fencing clicking if you listen carefully........

newrider.com