E-bay scam on a horse trailer- beware.

FB link doesn't work... what happened, Wally... that's a LOT of money??!!!! :furious:

She bid on the trailer in the pic above, he sent a false e-bay invoice, she sent the money via bank draught, never to be seen again.

Grampian police are dealing with it.

what for 7K ????????????? surely she wasn't going to pay that much for this
trailer.............sorry if I am being a bit 'blonde' but I don't quite understand
how that happened.

For that amount of money i would pay on collection of the trailer, or send a very small deposit.

You would also have viewed the trailer, has she been back to check etc, i know scams happen, but on something that big i still deal with paypal as you are covered.

I have no idea how she lost the amount she did, I thought it was £700 at first but went back and counted the 0s

I would NEVER buy anything on e-bay unless it was cheap enough not to hurt when it goes wrong

Scams

Ebay are usually quite good at sorting that type of thing, I once ended up selling a £5k BMW that I had never seen (shame) and other Ebayers emailed and rang me as the ebay network looks out for this type of thing - I was able to delete it from my seller area once they had authorized it! I hope you friend gets help from them too.

I recently sold a trailer on ebay (£595 tho) and took a £100 deposit and rest on satisfactory collection eg when I knew they were happy.

I hope the Police can track this person, but good of you to send the warning Wally! Thanks.

My friend got had as well - lost £2200. Most unlikely your friend will ever get that money back, the police are pretty sure that she won't.

These people are pretty clever, and are generally part of a much bigger gang. On the day my friend lost her money, there was about £100k lost on ebay that day due to scams.

agree with FL - why would you pay £7k for an Ifor?! bizarre.....

anyhow, i have sold numerous stuff and bought on ebay, never a problem, but then i am not daft, anything costing more than a few hundred pounds is def a cash on collection situation....

I'm the opposite, I don't do cash on collection as it offers the least protection. I'm a paypal funded by credit card fan as it gives you the most avenues to get your money back should something go wrong. I can do it from my phone while I'm collecting.

I sold my Freelander on eBay recently; signed, sealed & delivered within 24 hours!

Took a deposit via PayPal that was about 20% of the agreed price, delivered it to the buyer who paid the rest in cash upfront. I think that's only fair on both parties then. I was a little weary she or her husband may have tried to haggle once I was there but I would have driven the car away if so. Luckily they didn't & they were honest people.

Last edited:
However I nearly got similarly scammed.

Hersome ltd of edinburgh was selling a 2006 Ifor 505 for 2.5 k. I asked if they would keep it till September if I was the winning bidder. He sAid yes but I did not bid as I don't really want a trailer till next spring.

Then he offered me it for 2 k. A 2006 Ifor! Naturally I sAid yes and offered to pay small deposit (I was thinking £150) by paypal and the remainder COD.

However he sent me an(extremely plausible) invoice for the whole amount - £2000! Claimed the invoice came from eBay and said I had to pay CASH into his bank account....... alarm bells!

But I probs would not have questioned it for a small holding deposit.

On reflection it seemed a bit odd so I contacted eBay safety centre, who told me is was extremely unsafe and not to proceed. Corroborating my own concerns. I reported him and he has had his user account withdrawn but could be using any othr name and email address. His bank account is in Edinburgh.
Take care out there xxx

newrider.com