Driving lorries in the wind

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I have entered into a dressage competiton on Sunday at a venue that is about 40 minutes drive away along the motorway. However, it is forecast to have winds of 25mph with gusts up to 45mph. This sounds very windy to me, and I won't take my lorry out if I feel the weather is too bad (which I suspect it will be).

I just wondered how windy is 'too windy' to drive a lorry. I understand that going on open roads and speed (i.e motorways) has more risk for high sided vehicles, but is there a wind level which is generally considered acceptable to drive in?

I have never driven my lorry in the wind (only had it 3 months) so I have no idea how it handles. I won't be braving 45mph gusts to find out either!

If stopped driving lorries and vans in high winds noting would get done. Though I am not sure I'd take horses in a lorry gusting 45.

My lorry is only 3.5 tonnes and pretty high sided. Are the heavier lorries more stable than lighter ones?

I really don't want to be blown off the road, but I am so dissapointed that I can't go to the show - and I am annoyed I will lose my entry fee!

i have had to do some towing in windier weather over the last 6 months.

basically i usually weigh up the following:

1. wind speed - i generally have a max wind speed of 22-25mph on ave
2. the journey route - small lanes tend to be less exposed v motorways which tend to be more open
3. the distance - if just going a few miles down the road i would generally go
4. the importance of going (is it REALLY worth the risk) - my answer to this is generally 'No' your horses life, your life, your vehicle, other drivers lives etc are all not worth the risk of going as there will always be other competitions/fun rides!

I would assume the heavier the vehicle the better it is to withstand wind. I think smaller lorries of 3.5t or trailers are more at risk of toppling?

you may find the competition venue cancels and refunds, thats what happens around here when extreme weather is forecast

If you cancel now you might get your money back?

I wouldn't risk it if you are worried. It is rotten when you've been looking forward to things but there will be plenty of other competitions.

If you cancel now you might get your money back?

I wouldn't risk it if you are worried. It is rotten when you've been looking forward to things but there will be plenty of other competitions.

Entries shut last week so I would have to have a medical for vets certificate to cancel. It's not really the money, I was just really looking forward to going.

In high winds (above 20mph) or very heavy rain I wont drive my lorry, its just not worth the risk.

Mine is also quite a high sided 3.5t, I have been caught out in bad wind/rain conditions and it has been fine.

Last year I was meant to go to some hunter trials, last one of the year and I was really looking forward to it. But the weather was absolutely dire, the motorways were lakes (same weekend as HOYS) I was so glad i didn't go as on the same bit of motorway i would of gone on a horse lorry was involved in an accident and the horse killed. :frown:

If its just up the road i may be tempted, but again depends how bad it is tomorrow

Ours is a very heavy low set 7.5t and even then is not easy on a motorway in highwinds.

If you have to go get in behind a big lorry at 56mph and watch for it being buffeted so you know what is coming up as motorway cross winds are hard to predict. Do not go if you will want to drive really slowly as you will also then have to cope with being buffeted by overtaking lorries as well. Is there a more sheltered route you could take?

Unfortunately there is no sheltered way. I did try and find one the other day but it's all dual carriageway or motorway. The backroutes would take me about 3 hours! There is a severe weather warning for high winds and heavy rain at 6am tomorrow morning, and I need to leave by 8am.

I have very reluctantly decided not to go. I am so dissapointed, but they run shows there every month and it's not worth risking my horse (or myself for). I have never driven my lorry on a motorway before and I think that my first time out needs to be on a nice clear wind free day.

There will be other shows.....

good decision as you will be tense so you will do a crap test anything as you will be worrying about getting home.

I had to take Aimee to hospital in gale force winds, we waited till it was supposed to die down, and drove very gingerly but I can't say I enjoyed it much....

Definately try out a motorway on a fine day as you need to learn what your lorry feels like when passed by big trucks. Best way to practice is to load in bales of shavings or similar to the weight of your horse for practicing as this will give you a low stable load you won't be worrying about!

CK went with a friend to collect a horse in stormy weather one day, they were both experienced drivers ( the other girl does regular Artic driving) but they were so alarmed on the M6 that they came back by a much longer route

newrider.com