Dressage to music report...

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Hello everyone - it feels like ages since I have posted on here. My life has been crazy over the last few weeks with illness everywhere that I go, but tonight I had a break and competed in my riding clubs yearly dressage to music competiton.

I love dressage to music - I love getting the music together, planning the routine and then performing when no-one knows what you are going to do. I rode my regular RS horse and we were the only cob among an array of posh dressage horses - most of which were the riders own horses. I hadn't been able to practice my routine or even test that the music suited my horse, but luckily it all came together. The music fitted and my horse really felt that he was dancing. After the competiton we sat in the restroom and watched all the tests back on video. For the first time ever, I didn't feel that I looked like a complete novice, I actually looked OK.

The icing on the cake was that I won my class, and got the second highest score overall. I am really pleased and I know that this post sounds very big headed and boastful, but I haven't had much to be positive about recently and this has made my day.

It also made me realise that I agree with what many of you have been telling me - when I eventually get my own horse (which now looks like next summer), I do want something that I can compete and get out and about with. I'm thinking that maybe this enforced break in my horse hunting may be a blessing. My confidence is really starting to grow and I while I will always be a cautious rider, I'm starting to think that perhaps I'm not as rubbish as I previously thought that I was.

For those reading, have some of my wine and nachos (but be quick - they are almost gone!)

Well done MP! Sounds like a fab evening - and what a result! You must be so pleased.:angel:

I am glad that this break in horse hunting is giving you the time to really understand what you will be looking for, whilst your confidence is growing. I wish I had your confidence to compete - its a good thing my lad is happy plodding about with me!

Well done... That's brilliant. I think you plan to build confidence and find out more about what you want from a hors sounds excellent - and who knows what might just come along....

That's brilliant! Any chance of seeing the vid of your test? I am so admiring!

And I'm glad that you are coming to see how you need a horse who's up to your capabilities. I don't see why you shouldn't find one who's a safe hack, but also up for the jumping and competing that you like to do :wink:

I so glad it all went well. You sound so cheered up by having a lovely horsey day after all your worries! It sound fabulous - very jealous :dance:

Good news that being halted in the horse search has given you time to reflect. I'm sure you're right, you do need a good all rounder, not a simple happy hacker. Not that there's anything wrong with a steady neddy, that what's many of us (self included) need and want, but you do seem to enjoy your jumping and other activities. You need a horsey that you can grow with to try a variety of activities. Remember this high when you get to springtime!

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Very well done! Can I ask what music you used?

I used Up All Night by Take That for my trot, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor for my canter (this was particularly good canter music) and Kissing a Fool by George Michael for my walk. I know most people go for classical, but I wanted to ride to music which I enjoy listening to. My horse is a big heavy cob and I wanted something with a heavy beat to match his footfalls. I'm not sure these choices would work so well for a lighter build.

Oh well done, that's brilliant! I love dressage to music :happy:

You sound just like me - you are a capable rider who sometimes has confidence problems, but you do really want something that will compete and improve your riding. Even when I was going through a very nervous stage I knew I shouldn't underhorse myself or I would soon gain my confidence back and find it too boring. I accept I will have nervous times, but it's up to me to kick myself up the backside and get on with things, as I'm more than capable and have a great horse who just has the odd silly moment!

Hope all your illness worries get sorted soon and you can look forward to buying yourself a fab horse next year! :dance:

I'd love to see the video as well. Please post - I don't think anyone would be critical. Jeez, if I had a video of my lesson this morning, you'd all be in hysterics - no one could be worse than me :redface:

O please post it - this is very good.
And I am sure you are right about the horse you need to buy.

I didn't manage to get a copy this weekend but hopefully will during the week. If and when I get a copy and if I can work out how to put it on here (I'm useless with that kind of thing!), then I will put it up. Thanks for all your support. I hope that you don't have very high expectations though - I'm not exactly going to be selected for the 2012 olympics!

Oh that sounds fabulous, Congratulations, I would LOVE to do that, maybe not actually compete and maybe when there is nobody else around, but something to aim towards:wink:

Sounds great fun and you must have been good.........

YOU CAME FIRST:dance::dance::dance:

That sounds fab!! I'd love to give dressage to music a go! You're v.brave to get out there and do it :)

Would love to see the vid

newrider.com