doubles and pelhams?

anna15

anna15
Feb 18, 2007
west yorkshire
i have bought a lovely m&m allrounder. she is currently ridden in a dutch gag and all jumping tack in generel! however i want to show her in m&m as well she is quite headstrong. only used to ride my horse in a snaffle!

what are the different effects of pelhams and doubles? :confused:

M&M is mountain and moorland - it's for te british native breeds. your best bet is to have some lessons with an insturctor who knows a bit about them, and could perhaps lend you some to try. a double takes more trianing or bth you and the horse, so it's no a bit to just go out, buy and use with no training on it. a pelham is easier to use but doesn't give the same refinement. neither should be used to get the horse in an outline, only to refine it.

she does work in a beautifull outline, jus i cant ride in that class in all the jumping gear! i doubt shed be any good in snaffle type bits. i was going to buy a pelham as ive used them alot before, but just saw some doubles and was curious really:)

I'm starting to use a double with Daffy for shows, purely because he will no longer tolerate a pelham.

His level of schooling, all done in a snaffle, is such that he is beginning to work correctly, I never ask him to lower his head, it lowers because the rest of the components are in place. I wouldn't use a double unless I could do it all in a snaffle, and as such, because there is still some work needed, we are continuing to school in the snaffle and the double will be used for shows, with no pressure on the curb at all.

The thing i have seen written about pelhams is that they "combine the effects of the bradoon and weymouth, but in a single mouthpiece"!!!! Dont know how true it is but i would imagine there is slightly less effect of the double styley in a pelham than a double. You cannot however ride in a double without any training etc !!!! :p Have fun those M&Ms are great!!!! :p

xXx

Dont know how true it is but i would imagine there is slightly less effect of the double styley in a pelham than a double.

Based on my experiences with Daffy I wouldn't necessarily put it that way. I think it's more that there is a continual curb action with the pelham, whether you use the curb rein or not, which you don't get with the double, and that's why Daffy will evade the pelham and not the double. So in a way I think there's more effect, it's just not the "double effect". Confusing stuff huh? :p

well either bit il still be having lessons, the pelham/ double would only be used for schooling/dressage, maybe this is something i need to just ask my RI what would be best when she sees the pony.:)

pelhams are not dressage legal. doubles are for the higher levels. I think that's why the hanging cheek snaffle was suggested. Horses that generally like pelhams tend to like the hanging cheek. And that IS dressage legal.

newrider.com