Don't count yer chickens - and grow a thick skin!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Is the advice I would give to somebody setting up their own business! Okay without going into too much detail on here - yet again I counted my chickens....:redface: OH has taken it on the chin but I am struggling not to take it personally:redface: I guess I just thought this particular project was in the bag but it seems that they went elsewhere. I need to let it go I know!!! Just ranting really - guess it's all part of life! I really must not do this again.......Anybody else get their hopes up in a work sense and then it comes to nothing?

Hell yeah. I set up my own small retail business a few years ago but it was a lot of work and barely breaking even so I gave it up. Bit of a sobering lesson for me!

I stopped hoping a long time ago.. Seen too many people groom themselves for a job and looking as though someone has just thrown them off a cliff when they realize they've been had..

I think its hard not to take it personally when its your own company, as your putting your everything in to make it succeed and trying your best for people. Sometimes people just go elsewhere as they just do, perhaps its cheaper ( alougth not better!) and so on and you just learn in the end to move on and keep what customers you do have happy as you can! Thick skin ! yes defo a must in business. I was lucky with mine it was all online so I never had to get personal with people, its alot easier to just move on when you havent met people in real life!

ETA: I think the time when I had my pub is when my thick skin grew!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this trewser but I think most people have done this in one way or another.

Every year I wait for the promotion board to sit, deep down I want it so bad and work my ass off for it but every year it doesn't come I am still totally gutted.

This happened to me this winter. I was called by a headhunter about a job that sounded wonderful. I had an immediate phone interview with CEO, who then wanted me to come to the site and meet the rest of the team. I thought I had it in the bag and (in my mind) was already planning how I'd spend my (imagined) big new paycheque ..... didn't get an offer.

Thanks people. It's always good to get it off my chest on here!!! I should know better, OH tends to not get excited about work things until they are a dead cert, me on the other hand................I was already thinking about how it would help towards the vet bills etc, I'd "virtually" spent half of it..............

Trewsers, we have a joke between us. "It's a goer" Whenever we are negotiating terms for a job, OH will say "IT's a goer" which basically means it's likely to come to nowt. It was a phrase an old work colleague used to say so many times when all that happened was a damp squib.

Until the money is in the bank we never get excited.

Also, we have the very best, and the very worst correspondence printed out and stuck on the office wall. One is embarrassingly gushy and an OTT letter of grattitude, the other is from a mad American threatening us with physical violence and law suits! Helps keep ones feet on the floor.

Och never mind what's fir ye winna'e go bye ye. Chin up life's not meant to be easy it wouldn't be fun otherwise.

Och never mind what's fir ye winna'e go bye ye. Chin up life's not meant to be easy it wouldn't be fun otherwise.

That is very true indeed. Sometimes things that slip though your fingers come crashing through the back door when you least expect it.

newrider.com