Dog attacks police horses.

LauraGeeGee

Oct 5, 2008
Collier Row, Essex
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8332033.stm

They really need to do something about these types of dogs! My Mother in law has people next door to her breeding them. They don't give a jot where the pups end up either and are making £500 quid a time. I doubt the social know about it.:rolleyes:

They are a lovely breed but there are too many being bred by people who just want the money and for people to have status on the streets.

That is terrible the poor horses, unfortunatly it is the owners that are to blame here, I have grown up with doberman's and all have been lovely family dogs, at the moment I have an alsatian cross staffie and a jack russell cross dalmation (yes it is true Mum as the dalmation), think dad was a jumper ;)

I really do think that they should bring back licences for dogs, might help weed out all the people that are just breeding and breeding for the money.

The staffies I've known have all been lovely; well behaved and gentle natured. It comes back -again - to the owner not having control of their dogs. There's a LOT that happens with loose, off lead and out-of-control dogs that never reaches the public domain (ask any ambulance driver or A&E doctor), but has serious and far-reaching consequences for the victim - animal and human alike. Hope Rosie will be ok - sounds like a nasty injury.

Can't help but wonder how this will affect those horses in the future, will they tolerate police dogs near them?

Not sure I should post as I am still very upset about what happened to my sheep. Some of you may remember me posting about my sheep that got attacked by a dog back in July. Well a little update for those that do remember. I lost three sheep, two were stitched and one recovered well and has since been sold, but Linda well I am still stuggling to get her right. Pics at the bottom. And I have three ram lambs that still also have infections which will not clear up. What ever the dog was carrying is basically not responsive to any of the antibiotics that we have given. The incident happened at the end of July and we are now at the end of October. So that it three months I have been messing around.

First pic is the injury linda had at the time once the vet shaved the area you could see all the teeth marks. You can also see the ankle was knuckling over were sheep either wrenched it, or the dog bit through the nerve.

Second and third pics taken on sunday. A leg that she has now been holding up for the last two months which she wont even put to the floor and a huge lump on the side which is an absess.

Third pic is her absess which has been brewing for weeks and has this week now burst.

I am now at the point of giving up as I cant see any way back from all this for her. Bless So very soon she is going to be going to rainbow bridge. So I can understand very easily how those horses must be right now. Further to that feel free to read on.....

On Tuesday I rode out in the morning and one my way back I witness my neighbours sheep being attacked by a dog. Rang the neighbour when I got home and he went and checked his sheep, four were missing and basically he found them in a hedge caught up. Two were fine, but two have severe injurys, one of the sheep I believe was also upside down in the hedge unable to get to its feet. He has had the vet out to them who has had to stitch them all back up. Similar injurys it sounds as to what linda had.

Fortunately I know whose dog this was who attacked and they have basically said they were prepared to pay the bill. Sadly the dog that attacked mine has not been caught yet.

Attachments

• phone 021.jpg
    phone 021.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 20
Chunkey Monkey, I am so sorry about your sheep. I remember reading the thread at the time but I thought Linda was going to be okay.

Big hugs to you both (((XXX)))

This is terrible! Chunky Monkey I hope that you get to the bottom of your horrible dog problem and you've done all you can for Linda (lovely name for a sheep btw).

A popular dog walking place near my mums house has fields of sheep that you cross through and the farmer has threatened several of my mums dog walking friends that if he see's any dog running loose and frightening the sheep that he won't hesitate to shoot them. I can now understand why!

Yes Chunky Monkey, I also remember that incident. :(

Your poor sheep and you too, must have been horrific at the time and it's awful that their injuries still haven't healed and are still infected etc.
I can't believe that one out of control dog could cause so much damage. They can be leathal in the wrong hands. I do think we should go back to licences or at least breeders should have to be licenced. Not that it'll probably make much difference as would be difficult to enforce.

Hugs to you.
x

A popular dog walking place near my mums house has fields of sheep that you cross through and the farmer has threatened several of my mums dog walking friends that if he see's any dog running loose and frightening the sheep that he won't hesitate to shoot them. I can now understand why!

My HUGE GSD is well trained and has a lovely nature, comes when called etc and I know he wouldn't hurt a fly but I still don't have him off the lead around livestock. He's used to horses and is no problem to them though I will still put him on the lead when we come across them incase the horses arn't keen on dogs.

Dogs are animals with instincts after all. I'm the same with him around young children. I trust him with them but not them wth him unfortunately (bad experience with a small child who scratched and BIT him when she thought I wasn't looking! :eek:).

I have two staffies, they are the 'friendliest dogs' in the world and I trust them implicitly as far as you could ever trust ANY dog.

However I would be devastated if they ever 'escaped' because I know
my Female Staffie is nervous and tbh I am not sure how trustworthy she would be then.

The Male would probably just 'sit' somewhere as he is soooo LAZY;)

Any dog could attack livestock at any time if it was loose.

However I do sort of agree with you that people breed Staffies indiscriminantly just to make money, its such a shame because they
are such lovely 'people' dogs. My HUGE Male, Harvey has been neutered and I would never breed from the Female because she is nervous, not that
I am intending on breeding anyway, there are more than enough Staffies
looking for homes as it is without people breeding more.

i had two staffies when i was younger (they still live with my dad now) and can honestly say they were as soft as anything, However they were brought up knowing the rules and bounderys and were never let off the lead out in public as they tended to get distracted and wonder off.

Living in London i see so many young thugs with them and it makes me sad to know that a lot of them don't have good lives and will end up dumped/pts. Something needs to be done to stop people owing dogs who do not want to care for them properly and allow them to run amuck in public

I totally totally agree, but you are always gonna have the odd dog
'escape' unintentionally from otherwise 'good' owners.

But it does always seem to be the certain 'breeds' who get in the papers
when something goes horribly wrong.

My friends Son had his face ripped open on a Golf Course once, he was
just sat outside the clubhouse when a Golden Retriever just walked up
and attacked him. 142 Stitches in his face:eek:

Golden Retrievers are never thought of as a 'danger' really are they, but it does sort of bring home that it can be any dog at any time.

I don't think the breed is always relevant although obviously some dogs are bred for fighting/aggression. My pet peeve is labradors-keep meeting very aggressive dogs who attack mine andowners who have zero control. :mad:

A dog attack on another animal is a terrible thing and I am so sorry to hear about the poor sheep.

I have recently got a staffie - she was offered to me as needing a good home so I took her on having done some research and they are great family pets and are known for especially loving children etc BUT I am very concious of what a fast powerful dog she is. I do let her run around our field and have taken her on a couple of short rides but even then we have lots of work to do before i do it again! However, she is excitable, can get nervous and has rubbish recall so if there are other people, livestock etc around she goes striaght on the lead. My husband is always saying 'lets let her have a run' 'she'll be OK' and I have to say no - I cant safely say that she will come when i call so we dont take that chance. Apart from not wanting her to injury someone else, I dont want her put down as a result.

I do think Staffies have a terrible and undeserved reputation - there are 100s (unfortunately) of dogs 'attacks' every year but only the staffies and similar breeds make it to the paper - the random unprovoked attack from a golden retreiver never gets mentioned :confused:

Glad to see the responses on here, is a massive pet hate of mine that these dogs get type-cast as evil half the time in the press. The sad thing is that any stocky breed with the lock-jaw mechanism looks intimidating so wallies that want to look hard over breed and mistreat them to make themselves look tough, the result being miserable animals who have nothing left but aggression. I'm sure everyone will agree with me who has met a staffie who has been looked after that they are the daftest, soppiest things going that really only want their tummy tickled!

Never forget being out walking with my Dad and seeing a staffie about 3/4 of a mile away, it spied us and ran straight at us (owner then noticed and started trying to catch up) when it got within about 2 metres of us it skidded onto it's back and landed at our feet upside down and wagging it's tail like mad!!!!! Now needless to say my Dad had got defensive up until the being on it's back thing, when he realised that it's a dog he sees every morning.

My mum and Dad have recently taken on 2 springer types, they would attack other dogs as soon as they saw them but less than a year later and they are now fine because they know they aren't the bosses so have to keep in line.

There are just too many owners out there who have dogs for the wrong reasons and any miserable animal is a time bomb waiting to go off

*sigh* I remember someone boasting to me that this sort of thing (dogs attacking livestock) just doesn't happen in England as dogs aren't allowed out unless they are on a lead... too bad I don't have her email addy or I'd forward that article to her!

a jack russell cross dalmation

Interesting combination!! :D

*sigh* I remember someone boasting to me that this sort of thing (dogs attacking livestock) just doesn't happen in England as dogs aren't allowed out unless they are on a lead... too bad I don't have her email addy or I'd forward that article to her!

Interesting combination!! :D

Your telling me, wouldnt have believed it myself but when we got him we saw both parents, lady wasnt best pleased as both were pedigrees.

He looks like a dalmation with his legs cut off :D totally scatty though and I really think a braincell or two is missing but loveable all the same.

Your telling me, wouldnt have believed it myself but when we got him we saw both parents, lady wasnt best pleased as both were pedigrees.

He looks like a dalmation with his legs cut off :D totally scatty though and I really think a braincell or two is missing but loveable all the same.

oh please post a pic of him! He sounds adorable!! :D

So sorry to hear about your sheep. Dogs no leads and any livestock is not a good combination (trained sheep dogs exampt from that statement)

I have 3 dogs that are rarely on their leads because they get in the car to go to the fields for walks.

When they came to the yard after walk time they stay in the car. My to springer are rubbish with horses are bark constantly if they se a horse move.

My bull mastiff on the other hand is fanstic and used to sit outside my stable and eat the food my last horse dropped. would even have to have a carrot when she did!

The only one of the springer I would trust 99% with a child the other I would never let in the same room with (can be a little snappy if toys/food around). But again the mastiff I completely trust. But as a good dog owner I would never leave any of my dogs with a child even for a second.

As at 9 stone the mastiff could really hurt a child when she come in for cuddles and leans on your with her full weight

Sorry went on a bit love my dogs

newrider.com