Does your horse look likes its parents?

funkyfilly_sos

Brucie :)
Jan 3, 2007
Out there somewhere!
Heya Guys!
I'm very interested in horse and pony breeding and I was wondering whether certain features run in horsey family trees. I dont mean does your horse have any breed characteristics of its parents, but does it have a certain look or character which has been passed down the generations?

I saw a foal/almost yearling galloping with its parents in the field when I went to a yard a few weeks back. It looked like neither of its parents! It was dished in the head and had a slenderish build but well developed hindquarters. Its parents were a heavyweight cob mare and a trotter stallion. None of the characteristics of either were shown in the foal!

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to do a "these are the parents look at the foal" thing. So if any of you fabulous New Rider Memebers have any pictures of your horse's/pony's parents send them in and we'll see if they share anything in looks. Im interested to see what each look like.

xxxKellyxxx

The farther of Mayo my arab looks just like him. The stud farm he came from sent me a photo of his farther ( a excellent dressage horse) and if you put them in a field together you could barely tell them apart except Mayo's middles a bit more barrel shaped ;) :D the spitting image of him otherwise!!

what do you think?

mum with foal, then HRH queen petal!

and dad - http://groups.msn.com/nrphotos/esspictures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=189

she rides like her dad, mum was never backed so not sure on that one, but i've ridden 5 of her full siblings, and they are all quite similar and petal is different, so i'm guessing the others take more after mum. personality-wise petal's more like dad (he stood at stud with us for years, i looked after him, rode him etc) and they ride quite similarly.

i've also ridden both petal's foals, and one of her nieces, and they varied. neither foal rides like mum, but one does ride like another pony i know by the same stallion, so presuming he takes after his dad.

it is fascinating when you know a lot of the fmaily, seeing what is passed on. we had 2 broodmares, now both retired, who;ve had about 10 foals each. i've ridden all the dads, both mums and most of the offspring - that is really interesting.

Attachments

• harrybabybest.jpg
    harrybabybest.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 14
  • prettyface.jpg
    prettyface.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 9
You can be the judge.

I'll compare all my boys to their sires, because that's the closest I think.
Storm's sire (left) and Stormy
Tannenhain.jpg
StormyAfter.JPG

Costa's sire (left) and Costa
Cambridge2.JPG
CostaGorgeous.JPG

Arion's sire (left) and Arion
Arius.jpg
SnapShot.jpg

I wish I had pictures of RI's mare's mother. Sadie and her dam are the spitting image of each other. Remains to be seen whether Sadie's baby will come out looking like Sadie or Paganini.

Coquette is a Daddy's girl. I think she looks a lot her sire. Different colour, but same build. Don't know what her mother looked like though!

Her sire:
NIMBLEKN.jpg

Coquette:
Picture015.jpg

Kazz is like her mummy! (the real one not me!!!, although we both have big hips!!!!) I have known foals like neither of the parents.

Don't have any pics but Mia looks like a little grey version of her mum (bay), looked even more like her mum in the pic I've seen of her before greying out. Her face and her mother's are almost identical apart from colour. She has her mum's ears, flat back at anything that dares annoy her which is quite a lot of things :rolleyes:. She's very similar to her mum in personality though I'm pleased to say she is slightly less of a baggage than her mother :D Like her mum she's good to ride but can be a bit of a baggage to handle when she doesn't want to cooperate. Both are really sweet to people they like, but the 'evils' if they don't like someone can be 'interesting' :)

I should think Falcon looks like his parents. One Fell looks much like another!!!!! They're both black.​

Last edited:
Pickle :rolleyes:
30-7ff.jpg

Pickles' twin sister
Shal18apr.jpg

Pickles' Mum (with him and his twin sister)
twins.jpg

unfortunately i dont have a picture of his Dad but I do have a photo of his Granddad, I am told his Dad looks the same
calero.jpg

Although he doesnt resemble his parents, Pickle and his twin are very similar in attitude and manner :)
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/calero if you look at the photos on here, these are Pickles Granddads ancestors :D I can see Pickle reflected in some of them, just a stance or a look, but mainly as I know him

My filly sure looks like her folks

My rising three year old filly has a Clydesdale Sire and Australian Stock Horse Dam. My girl Cherry is 15.2 hands and growing and has inherited her skewbald colouring and sure footedness from her dam, and has claimed her father's flecks, feathers and super long mane. Both her Sire and Dam have gorgeous natures, and you guessed it Cherry is highly affectionate with an easy going disposition. The photos attached show Cherry's Dam on the left, Cherry in the centre and her Sire on the right.

Attachments

• Cherry's Mum.jpg
    Cherry's Mum.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Cherry on her 1st day @ home Avatar.jpg
    Cherry on her 1st day @ home Avatar.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Cherry's Sire.jpg
    Cherry's Sire.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 5
My rising three year old filly has a Clydesdale Sire and Australian Stock Horse Dam. My girl Cherry is 15.2 hands and growing and has inherited her skewbald colouring and sure footedness from her dam, and has claimed her father's flecks, feathers and super long mane. Both her Sire and Dam have gorgeous natures, and you guessed it Cherry is highly affectionate with an easy going disposition. The photos attached show Cherry's Dam on the left, Cherry in the centre and her Sire on the right.

loads of similarities going on there!!! :)

i think my girl looks like her dad
my girl
blondey.jpg

daddy
Artist202004.jpg

!ive never seen her mum but she does also look like her gradmum on her mothers side!
my girl
DSC00086.jpg

grandmum i did have one of her walking but i cant find it grrr:rolleyes:
buka.jpg

skye looks like her dad n 1 of her sisters but not her mum or the rest of the family!!!
this is skye...
000_0021.jpg
her dad was yellow dun and a pure black mane and tail, her mum was a typical grey highland so skye is a bit of both!

newrider.com