Does the horse smell go or do we become immune?!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Question in title! Today I could smell the horses for the first time in a long time. I just caught a smell of their niceness:)
Now I have a very keen sense of smell, OH laughs at me - nose like a blood hound and all that so not like I have poor senses. So, do we just get used to their smell? I only have two here, not like a yard full but even so, when I visited an acquaintance with a similar set up to me, I could smell her horses! Hmm.
Also isn't it typical - they've both been hanging about the yard all day so thought I'd ride in a minute. Looked up from my desk and saw a pair of back legs disappearing up the hill...:rolleyes:

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I dont think you get immune but used to it, I ofter bury my nose in their mane after a rough day, it makes it all better. I always think the best thing about holidays is when you get back to that smell [emoji1] I dont think most tack shops smell as good as they used to, but you get the odd one.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
I never notice it at all, or the dogs. Until I am away for a couple of days then I can smell all of them when I get home - bliss!:D

Oh that lovely old tack shop smell - Sandon saddlery does it still smell the same anyone know?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Oh is the Norfolk one still going too! I had forgotten all about that one, I liked it far more when it was in Holt - it lost some of its charm when she moved out to the warehouse type place I felt? I would still give a lot to be still using it as my local tack shop though!:(

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I have lived here almost 10 years and only just discovered it, its almost an hours drive but im pleased to have found it. It is the warehouse type place but still fab.

Reactions: Cortrasna

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Ah, so maybe not just me and that we just get accustomed to them. It was nice to smell them today - lol, what a day I've had sorting box after box of my gear out. I just can't do minimalist! I have birthday cards from my 18th onwards....eeek. And I seem to have kept so much from my childhood. Oh dear. Our new bit at the back of the house is finally finished (does a dance!) so now we have to move all our gear in. I thought I could be ruthless but it appears not.....:rolleyes:

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
Well I do believe you become immune to it ! Ive been out of horse ownership for approx 2 yrs now. Today I mucked out 3 stables and did some duties for a friend, then I washed my hands etc got changed and went out for lunch to a cafe. I sat there and all I could smell was horse pee and shite !!

Reactions: Trewsers

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well I do believe you become immune to it ! Ive been out of horse ownership for approx 2 yrs now. Today I mucked out 3 stables and did some duties for a friend, then I washed my hands etc got changed and went out for lunch to a cafe. I sat there and all I could smell was horse pee and shite !!

Hehhee, nowt wrong with that!lol

Reactions: Gimp

ponylover88

Jul 12, 2004
I love Gems smell, if you can't find me, it's prob cos I'm sniffing her neck! Dulcie is a little bit more sour/bitter smelling, so I don't sniff her as much.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Hehee, I always said Storm's smell was one of the reasons I bought her! She smelled totally different to Joe. Though I can still remember his smell.

candyflosspot

bossy boots
Sep 7, 2010
Sheffield

i really hate the smell of horse widdle..the poop doesnt smell half as bad :oops:

Trews to answer your question i can always smell horse. I love it. I immediately feel comforted and relaxed when i approach the riding school. :)

Reactions: Trewsers