Does mud fever make bald patches?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
So sorry, I'm just such a novice with mud fever. So the patches on the back of his cannon bones have been horribly scabby and disgusting, and I have been trying to remove scabs everyday, but when I do it also removes hair? So one leg now has a bald, scabby (looks like a burn almost) patch about the size of a 50 pence piece. Is this normal? And assuming the skin EVER stops being scabby and crusty, will the hair regrow?

Is this normal for mud fever??

Usually the scabs come off leaving a bare patch which heals and the hair grows over again quickly.

I found the best stuff was Barrier H hoof to heel which is very greasy and if you massage it onto the scabs and leave it, they tend to then fall off without hurting, so you don't get into the scenario where the horse is paranoid about having its legs touched.

If you apply it for a few days and leave it on, the scabs come off very gently and it helps the skin to heal.

Yes, it will leave bare patches once the scab has come off.

GET SOME CAMROSA!!! It really is not the devils ointment, it treats a myriad of skin issues, will not hurt and if you put it on, put kitchen towel over, bandage and plastic bag then your horse may go out all day.

Then take it all off, DON'T even think about WASHING THOSE LEGS, and do it all again tomorrow after pony has been in at night.

I promise it will work.

I have had loads of ex racers come to me for a rest, with of course rain scald and mud fever, and Camrosa really does work.

In spite of the fact that everyone is 'really worried' because Camrosa won't tell them whats in it - and actually they probably would have no idea even if they did!!!

Thanks both!

I'm not worried about using Camrosa SJP, in fact if they had it readily available in a local tack shop I would definitely have bought some by now! I am just too impatient to wait for it to be delivered - especially over the Christmas period when people shut until Jan. In desperation when my Flamazine ran out on Xmas Eve, I did the cling film and sudocreme trick overnight and have also bought the muddy buddy magic cure cream. Finger crossed, one leg is looking bald but pink and healthy skin and the other leg is definitely starting to feel much less scabby.

But don't worry SJP I have copied and pasted your advice and WILL be doing that next if this doesn't work! :biggrin:

Bald and pink is good - just make sure it is covered from the mud x

newrider.com