Does anyone have an Ex Racehorse?

gemmat

Apr 8, 2008
Hi all,

New to this forum. Was just wondering how many of you (if any!) have ex racehorses? I am involved in a club which promotes ex racers in Scotland and the North of England.

Would love to hear about your horses, racing form and stories etc!

Gemma xxx:)

Yes I have an ex racer. Gord - he's rising 10 & raced NH until he was 6. He was pretty rubbish & didn't actually complete many races! His brother did exceptionally well though!
He's mostly a happy hacker now but we'll be out doing some local level dressage & jumping this year providing all legs are working!:)
There are quite a few people on here with ex racers so I'm sure there'll be a few stories..

Hello and welcome to NR!!
I have an ex racer. Well, they say that but looking at her passport she only ever raced once!
I think there are quite a few peeps on here with ex racers.

Do you have a horsey?
x

Yup ive got Newtown by Darshaan came out of racing last Dec he was 10 this feb. Did flat in france then hurdled over here. Body couldnt take the constant galloping. Now being turned into a lil event horse. :D (hopefully!)

Hes a member of the ex-racer club down here :) hoping to do some the retrained race horse classes etc...

yep i do.
Shes just turned 4, she did a massive total of about 5 races in her life, 1 of which was hurdle.I have a feeling she was pretty rubbish, been trying to get ahold of her trainer [J M Bradley aka Milton Bradley] to find out more about why she was retired etc. Her racing name is Barneys Dancer.
Her temeperment is lovely and her potential is the different spheres is great :D

x

ETA: her last race was mid/end Sept 07, we got her 26th Nov 07

I have - he's in disguise as a mud plastered donkey at the moment. He raced for 6 years and was absolutely rubbish - no idea why they insisted on keeping him racing for so long when he clearly wasn't any good. Considering this he has great legs and they raced him every season with no "leg issues".

I wouldn't call him a typical ex-racer though - he is completely backwards thinking, and totally dead to the leg!

Hi Gemma
Fancy meeting you on here! ;) :D
It's a great forum - and i bet you find lots of ex-racers to share stories with.
Rosie x
ps - get a pic of your gorgeous boy up!!! Pics are compulsary on this forum! :D

I was just commenting the other day how there seem to be alot of people on here with ex racehorses, I'm at a fairly big yard and I'm the only one.

Another French TB here trained for racing but too slow so he didn't even race. Must have thought for a long time he would come right tho as they seem to have kept him in training till 4 ( he's 5 now).
If you have access to facebook you can look at his profile
http://apps.facebook.com/horse_book/profile.php?id=1119693

I loaned an ex-racer (point to point) a couple years back,
dont know much about her racing history or her breeding as she was brought from Southall market.
She would be about nearly 20 now but when I used to ride her you could obvs tell that she used to race.

i have 1 :D

Arawak Prince
He has done hurdle and flat racing but won the most in hurdles :D

He is an irish tb so is a bit thicker set than some other tbs

He raced till he was 6 or 7 need to find his race record :eek::D

i'm hoping to do dressage and jumping on him if i can manage to find the guts lol

But he is a gentleman and knows when he goes to far and finds away to say sorry etc :D I LOVE HIM TO BITS:D

xxx

I have 2 TB's my mare is 6 and only raced the once, wasnt very good, her name is Sperrin Valley by Rossini out of Astra, she is just starting to go to shows and do a bit of jumping.

she is half sister to Abstract Folly and Brads House.

The gelding is called jazz but never raced and was never registered with a name, he is by Defacto and he grew to big, he stands at 18hh and is on loan doing Natural horsemanship

I also used to look after a horse called Sir Boreas Hawk who is turning into a right little speed demon over hurdles

Last edited:
I have Tom Tom, 5years old, racing name mount ephram, he wasnt very good. Won a few times when he was 2years but then nothing after that. Dont really know too much about him. So if anyone knows anywhere i can find more info please tell?! His grandsire was actually seattle dancer which was the most expensive racehorse ever sold, also a let down when racing though. hehe. I'd love to see pics of all your horses if you can post some.

Me too :)

15.3 raced against TB's on the flat and won 1 out of 51 starts :rolleyes: yu thought they would have taken the hint realy.

He then went on to his previous owner who raced him against arabs for a while but it wasn't realy his thing. Now being reschooled as a possible eventer!

newrider.com