Does anyone have a specific 'Prosthetic Riding Leg'?

FeeStuart

Jun 24, 2008
I am hoping to be fitted for a prosthetic riding leg soon, (lower leg). Just wondered if anyone on here had one? I'm just looking for some advice and tips before I go for a fitting, as its not something my Prosthetist has done before.

:) :)

I have a customer with one. i will ask her about it.

I know she has her 'dancing leg' (highheeled), her everyday one which she also occassionally rides in and her riding/jumping one. She has been known to change mid lesson:D

LOL!! I can just imagine! If you could maybe ask her about her riding leg, that would be great. I'm just looking for information on how they designed it, and the differences between that and her 'normal' one. Anything appreciated!!!

Thank you!

I had a leg made for riding - left below knee amp.
The main diff was it was slightly shorter, and cut lower at the back and the foot was angled with the heel slightly down. It did help initially, butwasn't very good for walking on and getting my mare ready.

I now ride in my normal leg but have an adjustable heel, I release the lock when I ride which allows for some flexibility and absorbs some of the movement. Though I don't think i'm supposed to as it then leaks hydraulic fluid - oops but needs must.

I do dressage so focus on the length of my legs being balanced around my knees, so do tend to ride with my left stirrup a hole longer.

If you do alot of jumping I would try to get your leg lower cut at the back to allow you to ride with shorter stirrups. But don't go too low as when it gets hot the suction legs can slip and you use stability.

Good luck if i can let you know anything else just shout.:)

I had a leg made for riding - left below knee amp.
The main diff was it was slightly shorter, and cut lower at the back and the foot was angled with the heel slightly down. It did help initially, butwasn't very good for walking on and getting my mare ready.

I now ride in my normal leg but have an adjustable heel, I release the lock when I ride which allows for some flexibility and absorbs some of the movement. Though I don't think i'm supposed to as it then leaks hydraulic fluid - oops but needs must.

I do dressage so focus on the length of my legs being balanced around my knees, so do tend to ride with my left stirrup a hole longer.

If you do alot of jumping I would try to get your leg lower cut at the back to allow you to ride with shorter stirrups. But don't go too low as when it gets hot the suction legs can slip and you use stability.

Good luck if i can let you know anything else just shout.:)

Thanks very much for that, I'm starting to get an idea about how most of them have been designed. Does your ankle on your normal leg flex both ways? I had hoped to get an ankle like that, but unfortunately I was told that you need to have a leg of a certain length to put this ankle in, and I'm just a little person, so it couldn't be fitted. :( They have given me an adjustable ankle, but it only goes 'up' to allow me to wear heels! I also find on my normal prosthetic leg that the actual prosthesis sticks up higher than my knee, so when I'm in the saddle, that knee is a good bit longer than the other (if I'm making sense LOl!) Do you find this? Is this what you mean when you say your riding leg is shorter?

Much appreciated, thank you!!

:) :)

My ankle is only supposed to go up for heels, but once released and walked on for a while it has a little give the other way. It's not alot of movement but enough to give a better position. Do you just have to release a button to adjust you heel height?

The riding leg was shorter in length so if I stood on it the actual length was shorter and i was lobsided, I think this was because of the increased angle i.e leaning forwards over the foot.

I know what you mean about the knee sticking over the top, I did have mine made really low around the knee but then I had nothing to stop it spinning so often would find my toe was pointing into the horse not my heel or calf.

Just remembered had the foot angled in )pigeon toed) so foot pointed forwards once mounted.

I used to have a flex foot, like the runners have but you need a lot of force to get feedback from those.

re leg

hi gaby i have a below right leg amputation but my left leg has been got a fused 90 degee ankle due to arthritis did you just request your leg or do you have to pay for the flexable ankle one as it would be great to no that i could walk and ride thanks for a really good letter

Hi Moonbeam,

glad you are back on the forum.

I guess you are going through all sorts of emotions at the moment, i know i did finally nearly screamed the house down with frustration when i couldn't get a hot drink from kitchen to sofa on my own - seems silly now but it was the little things that really got to me.

Anyway back to legs- my first leg was standard nothing fancy, looked alot bigger than my other leg but real relief when i got it - didn't care what it looked like. I did start to ride again with this one and it was fine but like everything the more you do the better the equipment you need.

I think it can vary from limb centre to limb centre what you can get, i didn't have to pay for my foot but you do need to hastle them a bit. The more you can tell them of different things you want to do i found the more helpful they became.

My legs are made by rsl steeper, this is there website don't be put off when they look mechanical they come with covers on and everything but just gives you an idea www.rslsteeper.co.uk

if you want to talk off forum drop me a line - i know u don't know me but sometimes it's easier that way - i am never offended by any questions you may have not matter how strange they may sound. I can tell you some funny stories riding and otherwise about artifical limbs - its not so bad, i promise.

good luck
:)

A very good friend of mine, the late Daphne Pagnamenta, had a special leg made for riding because she found that if she lost her stirrup out hunting she just couldn't get it back without reaching down (not easy when hounds are in full cry!) She had it made with a peg instead of a foot - and used a bucket-type stirrup on that side. Only got awkward if she got dumped a long way from home and horse didn't wait - it wasn't good to walk on!

Artificial limbs have come a long way since then, I think (hope!) There may well be a FAR better solution.

Yes I can totally understand her asking for a peg instead of a foot, I also find it very difficult to find my stirrup once I've lost it.

The riding leg I will probably get will be shaped to fit around my horse's side and will be in the heel's down position, so will also be for riding only. I can just picture myself trying to walk home in it if we part company......!!!!

Thank you for getting in touch :)

adjustable ankle

Hello, i have an endolite brio which has an adjustable ankle (push a button) which i have angled to make it easier to use a manual clutch in a car, im getting another one soon angled the other way so the heel is down . both can be adjusted for easy walking and are also similar to the flex foot with the springy carbon fibre bit.
I have always had the top of the socket cut low (right down to the kneecap) as i ride motorbikes and it caught on my leathers, i have the back bit cut down and widened to allow a better angle of bend. I cut the the inside top part of the socket (paint stripping gun and stanley knife!) to stop the rim cutting in to the side of my knee where the tendons connect to stop the pain but this does cause a slight problem with socket rotation, this is incidentaly made worse by turning the foot in to get the toes pointing forward as your leg is pointing out due to the horses girth.
to be honest the biggest problem i have had is not having a clue as to wether my foot is in the stirrup properly or about to fall out and i tend to put my weight into my right side which makes it worse.
hope this helps .

I could be done with my prosthesis not being cut so high, but they're not keen to make it any lower. Like you, I'm also prone to making little alterations myself.......!!! Hee hee, needs must!

Thanks for the info, it all really helps.

Merry Christmas!

Yeah! i wonder how many times you can get away with 'sorry i did'nt realise i promise i wont do it again!' ? they told me officialy i should nt have modified my diving leg but off the record said it was really good!:D
try my new one out on the 2nd jan , such a bore when they dont fit.:(

Hi I am a riding instructor who after smashing my hip is turning to feature writing as a second income. I am very interested in researching riding with prosthetic limbs for an article as I think there are many people who would get hope from learning about the possibilities of continuing riding after injury. Would anyone be interested in contributing to my feature by having a chat? Many thanks and Happy New Year!!

Sure, be glad to help if i can, there is an interesting articale in New Scientist 3rd jan issue about prosthetics; if i could get one like those it would be whoopee time!

newrider.com