Does anyone else's cat do this?

Sep 14, 2007
My kitten has developed some truly terrible table manners :eek::p! She'll sit at her bowl, reach into it with her front paw, scoop her food out (she has wet food) then holds her paw cupped and eats the food out of it :confused:. She's only started doing it recently but there seems to be no reason for it - she doesn't do it all the time, just sometimes decides she'd rather eat finger food :p. I've not seen another cat do this and wondered if it's just a kitten-ish quirk :confused:? I've had dogs and rabbits all my life - she is my first cat - so naturally i panic and think that every sneeze is cat flu, every scratch will go septic and every fall will result in a broken limb :rolleyes::D!

Sounds like she needs a knife and fork - lol! Not seen any of my friends cats do that - perhaps her food is simply very tasty?!

Yep, my little Poppet does!

We have to give her a pack of wet food a day to help keep her weight up (she has heart problems :() and to make it go further we mix it with dry food... She scoops out the dry bits, leaves them on the side and then scoops out the wet :D

Yes my cats have been known to do that, I think it has something to do with the instint to play with their food (as they would a mouse etc) before they eat it.

Either that or they are just odd. Who knows?

Alison xx

Some cats will do this sometimes....if she is super-cute and always does it she might be suitable for a cat food advert??? lol

Cats are way tougher than you think. Worry if they are moping about, listless etc, but the odd sneeze? No - and one of mine fell off the landing banister and stopped when he hit the wooden floor in the hall...hasnt done him anny harm.

They are tougher than you think...unlike horses!!

Enjoy your kitten/cat

Nice to know she's not too much of a freak :p:D! She falls off things all the time (mostly the towel rail in the bathroom - she hops up onto it and peers into the bathtub when you have a bath - she's fascinated by the bubbles :p) and she gets herself into all sorts of situations (she's managed to get her head stuck in the gap between the DVD player and the wall :eek: - emergency barriers were soon erected!) but she seems pretty resiliant so far :D!

hehe iv seen my daughters cats do it but mine dont

theres a cat food advert where acat eats out of a can with its paw , cant for the life of me remember which one though :eek:

My two do this on occasion, OH gets really annoyed when they pull the food onto the lino and then refuse to eat it!

The worst thing my cats do is eat bugs, we once saw Sam eat a daddy long-legs and he went around all evening with a leg stuck on his face! :eek:

Ella prefers to suck moths and spit them out!

Then they give us kisses! :p

Pip likes spiders :D. She'll bat them about and torment them until they give up, curl up into a ball and give in - then she gobbles them up :eek:.A bit humiliating that my 6month old kitten is squaring up to spiders and winning while i sprint away screaming if i spot one on the other side of the room :eek:.

Pip likes spiders :D. She'll bat them about and torment them until they give up, curl up into a ball and give in - then she gobbles them up :eek:.A bit humiliating that my 6month old kitten is squaring up to spiders and winning while i sprint away screaming if i spot one on the other side of the room :eek:.

Ella gives up once they stop moving, she'll have a leg maybe but usually Sam eats them once they stop moving! (Maybe bugs are high fat - hence Sam's size!)

Forgt to say we had to half demolish out kitchen when they were smaller as they went round the back of the dishwasher under the sink unit and ended up on the other side if the kitchen under the units. Had to take the plinth off - rather wished we hadnt as the house isnt ours and heaven knows what was under there...I'd rather not have known...

Falling in the bath, off things like radiator covers, hitting their heads under the bed (on the wooden bed frame) - not nice at 3 in the morning when they are playing catch chase with each ther - they still do thsi one, actually!

There is never a dull moment with them, certainly

Heehee i love cats :p

Don't worry its perfectly normal (i'm sure others have said this...i'm just feeling lazy and haven't read all the replies!). My old cat scooby used to do that, she also picked the food up (either using her paw or just her mouth) dropped it on the floor and ate it off the floor... her bowl obviously wasn't good enough! we bought her a wee table mat so she didn't make a mess of the floor and it was so much easier to clean. She did the paw thing with yogurt pots and half empty/empty tins of cat food lol. She ran round like a loony, lept up onto the curtains, climbed them and dangled from the curtain rail. Annoyed the birds so much that they ganged up on her and chased her round the garden. Jumped from my bedroom window onto a nearby tree and climbed down it to get out of the house instead of just going to the door or out the open kitchen window.... She liked adventures!!! Cats are slightly crazy - you get used to them lol!

Enjoy it! :D

eating with paws -cute!!

My cat eats with her paws on and off too, she also scratches the drinking bowl when she drinks. This is indicative of her breed though - Maine coon. She does also get in the bath and scratch on the sides for some bizarre reason (empty unlike the birman who would get in with you and sit on your knee whilst you tried to have a bath - she would also drape herself around your neck whenever you tried to hoover too!). She likes to howl at the ceiling too and scratch on the wardrobe doors......... she's just mental really!:D

As for spiders she is utterly rubbish she just sits and watches while I'm sat there having a fit! :eek: My Birman was a great spider eater, if I saw one I'd just pointer her at it and that was the end of the nasty spider! We get huge ones in the house as we have fields everywhere round us!

My cat nearly always gets a cold when I do!!!!! She is 17 now and still tearing around so don't worry about a bit of sneezing, we are both sat here sneezing together as I speak! My mums birman broke its leg falling from a bedroom window as a kitten and had pins in her leg, she was 19 when she died! Cats are pretty resilient and incredibly loving. Enjoy her!!!! :)

Yeah the bath thing - my cat used to sit on the side of the bath and watch you :p she also only liked running water so would jump into the bath and wait for the tap to be turned on for her. she once jumped in while my mum was running a bath got soaked from head to toe and slipped when she tried to get out, its was such a shame but hilarious at the same time.She also got her head stuck in a plastic bag - me and my mum had fish for dinner one night and she'd put the packaging in a plastic bag but it was raining outside so she hung it on the back door so we'd put it out in the morning (both of us forgot) - the cat managed to get the bag off the handle she then put her head in through the handle of the bag to get at the tray they fish was in and got her head stuck, my mum came after work the next day to find the cat sitting in the hall looking sorry for herself with a plastic bag round her neck :( :p (don't worry she was fine and couldn't have been like that for long as i'd been in all day and had only left about 20min before my mum got in). I do love crazy cat stories :D

Crazy cat stories :D;)?

Look what i just found when i walked into the bathroom fifteen minutes ago :p

toiletrolls004.jpg

I do love her but she is a bit of a pickle sometimes!

Glad to see i'm not the only one whose bathroom floor has a hoss magazine on it :)

Tigger's favourite trick - drinking water out of the fish tank. He balances his front paws on the tank edge and his back ones on the table its on, dips his paw in the water, scoops some out then licks it off. Doesn't try and eat the fish at all, even tho the disturbance brings them to the surface, he just scoops the water out!

He also does this with glasses of water if you leave them on the floor, or if I leave one on my bedside table, he will sit on it and drink the water. Knocked the blooming glass over all over my bed the other day, pain.

He also loves sitting in boxes and getting under my duvet, and climbing in the kitchen cupboards.

Nice to know she's not too much of a freak :p:D! She falls off things all the time (mostly the towel rail in the bathroom - she hops up onto it and peers into the bathtub when you have a bath - she's fascinated by the bubbles :p) and she gets herself into all sorts of situations (she's managed to get her head stuck in the gap between the DVD player and the wall :eek: - emergency barriers were soon erected!) but she seems pretty resiliant so far :D!
Funniest thing ever - Our old sofa was flat backed and Poppet used to lie on the top by the TV, slowly she'd fall asleep and her head would... just... start... to... drop, until she had her face flat down on the sofa. Then if she carried on, slowly her back legs would start to twist over to one side... And occasionally she'd plop right off the back. :p :eek:

Snowball has fallen in the bath before, my mum was having a bath with loads of bubbles and she got a bit over enthusiastic with her bubble catching :D

My cat used to jump up onto the tops of the shower doors and howl at the ceiling, she can't be bothered now (she's 17) the window sills are about as high as she bothers to go these days although she likes to sit at the top of the attic stairs and howl at magical invisible entities occasionally! ha ha

newrider.com