Does anyone else just go out for a plod?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Had a brilliant hack today (in company with my friend riding my other horse) - but all we did was walk for an hr around the lanes! It was a real achievement for us (which is prob why i really enjoyed it even though it was just walking). It was a route we had never been before and we came across loads of potentially scarey things - wheely bins, trucks, fast busy road, builders, skips...etc and i can report that Moet was absolutely fantastic!!! I am so relieved that she behaved!

We had to get past a cement truck in a single track lane and we only had about a 2m gap, on previous occassions we would have had napping and spinning, this time she walked on past (albeit slightly sideways and staring at the truck! lol)

I really feel like my confidence is on the up finally.......for the first time in about 6 months i was actually LOOKING FORWARD to riding!!!! no nerves whatsoever, no negative thoughts of 'what ifs', and it was ****ing it down with rain!!!!

am i really pathetic to just enjoy going out for a walk?! lol! many years ago it was all about the cantering and galloping....how people change! lol!

Yep we are only walking and trotting :)

Its much easier to just go a at a slower pace and chill out - where we are lots of seemingly new things for silver - wheelie bins and buses to name but a few.

I do sometimes get a crazing for amad canter to shake cobwebs out though :eek::p

It's all about the plodding for me, and there's no shame in that at all.

When I was a teenager it was all about the galloping. I'm still up for a good blast now and again, but mostly it's plodding all the way.

I think it's an age thing...:D

My rides are mostly walk and trot with some cantering.

I'm happy with a walking hack though. Joy has the most fabulous free flowing forward walk :cool:

I love it when I have to bring her back into work after time off as we have to stick to walk for 2 weeks. I don't feel under pressure to do more then.

Much as I like to give the impression that I'm comfortable just doing what I want to do, it's hard when you're feeling pressure to do more. I resent that :eek:

Oh I could plod for my country at the Olympics - sure Im an expert at it!!!:D

So pleased you are having a huge confidence surge - and no it is not pathetic to enjoy your hack -its progress!!!:Dthink what you might be doing by the summer - maybe you might even be reporting back here about your exciting gallop or something equally scary?:eek:

I'm a plodder, and proud! perhaps we should start a new group "Plodders United" we could have our own badges and everything:D

I want to be a plodder - I aspire to be a member of Plodders United!
Julie - I only hope I can write a similar post in six months time. Congratulations, you must be dead chuffed with yourselves!

Now there's another one for my Olympics, well done, Olympic plodding, Like it!

It can go with
Olympic Paddling
Olympic throwing like a girl
Olympic catching like a girl
Olympic running in the corridor
Olympic 100m splash
Olympic 20m drowning
Winter Olympic sliding
Winter Olympic falling over in a spectacular manner ( always a favourite)

Virtually all my hacking is plodding and I love it:D I don't mind doing something a bit faster on occasion, but couldn't be doing with it all the time. Plodding is wonderfully relaxing, real switch off and enjoy it stuff that just doesn't work going faster. Feet out of stirrups, long reins and wander in an approximately straightish line = absolute bliss :D

Nought wrong with plodding. Wish my horse would do more than plod though. He's so lazy, so well practised at plodding.

My arab beats the field in the come to bucket gallop but is happy to just amble out hacking. Hubby's cob mare is very forward going in her rocking horse way and loves a good bez but is happiest when asked to plod and admire the view.

Best thing going is a good amble- if the mood takes we can up the pace but hey who cares?:D

As wise owner of previous yard said... if they live out they have all the time in the world to bez about if they want without you to slow them down.

Wally please let me on your team I would be a real asset and would provide the snacks for team building.

Last edited:
We often plod - only problem is, Carlow plods so slowly he then has to trot to catch up if we're in company. He's 17hh with legs like a giraffe and always gets left behind. Went for a plod round the village last weekend with OH and friend - they walked the whole way, I did lots of trotting to catch up! At least when we're on our own he can plod at his own pace :D

I love going out for a plod, in fact we are going out for one tomorrow! It's so nice just to spend time enjoying just taking it easy, I think they like to take things in as well

I love going out for a plod. Take someone younger to do the gates, my phone and my cigarettes and go for a wander, its heaven.

Thank god my oldie is finally starting to appreciate it too, it only took 28 years for him to get the idea :D We stil end up with a gallop home though :D

I too am a plodder, been there down that cantering up grass verges (how dangerous), funny how one realises when you are older and wiser just what can and usually does happen, we have done some amazing hacks in walk and trot and have thoroughly enjoyed them,
PLODDERS UNITED LOL

newrider.com