Do you turn your horse loose?

Spoof

In the trailer/horse box?

Question was brought up from the picture, I see a lot of this here. The horse behind was tied.

If you do, why do you do it?

I tie in strait or slant loads. I don't tie in stock trailers, but I would never trailer a tacked horse.

Attachments

• Trailered.jpg
    Trailered.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 73
I don't tie in a stock trailer. It's a little stock trailer - 2 horse, and they both go in loose, but no tack. It's a lot more enclosed than that one though - they always look so exposed in those 'cage' type trailers, don't they ?

blimey not sure if the trailer was hitched up or not but that's a heck of a slant on the trailer, can't be comfortable for the horses.

i like those types of trailers for the simple reason it does let in lots of air to the horses BUT i also don't like them because they are so open things can scare the horses too easily.
i know if i ever put Finn in one of those he would go crazy when travelling.

In my goosneck slant load they are tied. In my partion stock trailer loose. :) I prefer loose so they can balance and also helps for a horse that tned to get panicky tied. It does go both ways though. Nanna loose in a stock makes her sweat up and she constantly spins, yet tied shes fine.

we were talking about this the other day, iv been trailor training an arab that had a nasty experiance two months ago, and have been getting advice from everyone i know and dont know.
i was talking to my farrior this week and he suggested travelling him with no partition and loose, he said he does it with any of his that are not good travellers, he said not to worry if he turns as there is always enough room for them.
still not sure about it myself, with my 11 h filly id be happy as she has no issues about bumping herself in there and will spend hours in and out of it turning around inside but a 15 2 arab, id be terrified hed get himself jammed.
also as said those trailors are just soo open.

That trailer was hitched, just cut that out because it showed the truck plates.

Nobody else thinks it is odd that they have a bridled and saddled horse loose in there? I'm guessing it never amounts to anything as everyone seems to do it. Just makes me worry a bit I guess.

i've seen lots of horses travelled tacked up but they mostly have a rug over them so that the stirrups don't get caught up on the sides etc.

there are times i'd love to leave Finn tacked up as it makes it easier when i unload him at his destination but i know he would get badly caught up regardless of how i cover the tack. so i guess personally i wouldn't travel a horse tacked up.

I'm surprised so many of you trailer loose! It's fairly common then? We just got a slant load with a partition. It's supposed to be 2-horse, but while both horses go in willingly when it's open, neither one will go in all the way when the partition is swung over. Just stand there with 2 feet in, look over to me: "Not enough room!" There's room, but it's close. So you think we should try letting them both in, no partition? I'm not sure about not tying at all. How do you get them out? Do you use wraps??? Hope I'm still on the topic, Spoof!

I'm having trouble picturing that, Bling ! In a slant load with partition, surely you load the first horse on, and then put up the partition ?

If you leave it open, do you just have a big empty space like I do ? I travel mine in there, 2 up, not tied, no wraps or tack or anything, and they do just fine.

I'm going to take out the divider and try it! The problem I think is, the horses load "straight", not at an angle, and it's about impossible to send either one to go deep into the corner angle made by the partition. No room to lead them in. I'll try them loose --- but maybe just go down the driveway, see if they're okay with that.

Tack: I often see saddles on trailered horses, mostly ropers. Not bridles though. Sometimes there's a steer riding along too!

newrider.com