Do you go by Jan 1st or the horses Birthday?

we go by the date on the passport unless we don;t know then Jan the 1st will do as a guestimate

She's passported as January 1st so I suppose she is officially a year older, however with May as a name I don't ever add it on until the 1st May.. I would go with their birthdays if I knew them..

ETA the same vet that stuck her birthday in her passport before I owned her also always puts Mae on all her notes/labels etc so perhaps i shouldn't presume it was when she was born and just that her old owner was a fan of either an american rock band I have never heard of or the Beatles.. hmmmm I could be way out!

Last edited:
What's on the passport as I know she was born then, she was two weeks late, I know that too.
When I had a tb, I think I said Jan 1.

I age ours by the date on their insurance documentation which is when the date they arrive to live with us. Technically wrong but it makes it easy for us and their "birthdays" are remembered because the renewal docs remind us!

Well I bought Dolly in February and her teeth, my vet, the dentist, the farrier and passport, and last but probably least, so did I , said she was 10. So I just treat February as her birthday? No logic to that but just gives a vague point of reference.:happy:

Neala had no passport,parents unknown,time of year birth unknown,vets passported as jan 1st but i will age her around end june beggining of july,looking at her vet aggrees she doesnt look 2 years old now and 6 months is a big difference for me in terms of backing,wolf teeth, such things i havnt had to think about until now that i have a baby :) so i will go by 1st july for her birthday to keep my head right :)

Rubic is 13 this year. I've no idea when. I got her in April so I generally just add a year on to her age in April. I thought it was just TBs that were "1st Jan" otherwise I might have gone with that instead.

Ginger on his actual birthday even though he is a TB but I have all his original papers and breeding info so I know he was born in Feb. Chanter is in august as per his passport.

Most Northern hemisphere bred TBs are born between February and April, earlier gives more maturity for early races but does imply mares are 'hothoused' into early seasons and foals brought up at best in barns but often stabled.

KC since Oakley is a Welsh his age follows his date of birth, does not really affect showing as most shows are in the summer so yearlings are born the previous year etc.

The French all go by Jan 1st - they age horses by the year here, it's just how the system works, so we don't really have a choice! All the horses competing in the 4-year-old classes in 2014 will be 2010 foals, all the horses in 5-y-o classes will be 2009 foals etc - their month of birth is irrelevant.

Mouse was a 2010 foal, there's no month on his passport but officially he turned 4 this year on Jan 1st and is now eligible to jump in the 4-year-old pony classes. However, I don't believe he was born before March at the earliest so don't consider him to be a 4-year-old yet. His body is still 3 regardless of how the system works!

Cyrus doesn't have date of birth on passport so I guess he is 9 now officially.

Maybe I should let him share my birthday in February since the presents will probably be for him anyway :giggle:

We show and go by age at 1st January for showing purposes

for their Birthday treat its on their Birthdate as all breed registered, other than Tess as that was unknown so she has just had hers on 1st Jan!

June is june the 10th. I know shes a june foal (obv ... and her original name and month of birth on her PP confirms it :wink: ) theres a zillion birthdays in june and the 10th was a free date and we go with that.

Womble has a year of birth so we just go with the date I bought him. So he will be 12 in august.

newrider.com