Do I say yes or no?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
I'm not buying Xmas presents for anyone other than family (have told friends on the yard) mainly due to money and also because I think it's pointless if not family! (Sorry if that sounds grumpy!)

Anyhow sharer text to ask if she can buy something practical for the baby for Xmas?

I want to say no, we haven't been getting on well lately, I don't want to feel guilty receiving a present when not giving, also how does she know what I have already and what I need!? But OH says I should say yes as it's free stuff.

Do I say yes or no?

If no how do I phrase a response without sounding ungrateful!

If I say yes, how do I phrase that without sounding greedy if I'm not buying for them!

I also partly want to say no because its obvious she wants to buy to make her feel good, but by doing that she makes me feel bad! Complicated lol

Dear Sharer, thank you for your kind offer to buy for baby this year, not sure if you were aware but due to personal circumstances we have decided to buy for immediate family only this year, however it was really kind of you to think of us.

Leaves it open for her to decide what to do, and sort of dismisses her (I think!) .......

I thought Christmas was about family. I hate being made to feel guilty by someone buying for me and i haven't them. Close friends perhaps, not people on the yard.
But then its personal choice. I am not sending cards this year. I don't feel i should have to explain that to people?

I would explain as dizzy has that you are saving for the baby, and would never expect a present from her but you appreciate the thought she has given it - leaves it up to her - I love buying baby stuff and would buy it for anyone haha

Oh good. Whew. I thought I missed the annoucement.

Then I'd play it off on that and say: "That's so sweet of you to offer but you never know and we'd just like to hold off on any baby gifts until the baby has arrived?"

Right then I replied saying 'That's very kind but we r only buying for family. I would never expect a present from you, i appreciate the thought u have given though.'

So will see what her reply is, thanks everyone!

I just wish she wouldn't buy anything, honestly I feel awful not getting them anything especially if they buy the 'baby' something but I really don't want to waste money!

Damn Karin just missed your reply, that would have been a good reply!

I'd say no definitely, but I'd try and do it face to face or over the phone so you can put a bit of tone into it and make it not possible for her to misread the tone in a text or email.
Just tell her you really appreciate the offer but you've pretty much got it covered or that since everything is so expensive nowadays you'd rather she not go to the trouble as everyone is trying to tighten their belts.

newrider.com