Do I ask for money in return for riding?

jack123

Nov 30, 2007
I need some advice please...
Due to hetic mother hood/work/husband, I don't have as much time as I'd like to ride my horse. I found someone (through a friend) that was keen to do some riding for me, so she rides anywhere from once a week to three times. I'm keen to take her to shows etc, which I think she's up for. I also have another friend who rides him abit too.
WHAT I'M ASKING IS...
Can I ask these people/friends for some money towards care costs, I'm really skint at the moment & it would really help. The thing is I'm not sure if they think, they are doing me a favour or I'm doing them one, so really worried about asking & putting them off riding him for me.
What do I do???

Depends, I think this is a tricky subject.

On the one hand, it's your horse and you're not getting as much 'use' out of it, if your horse was a car then you'd be charging petrol money, right?

On the other, if you've not said anything about it before (and it's been going on for a while) then I think you might find yourself up the creek without a paddle so to speak if you suddenly spring it on them.

I disagree. If they are doing you a favour and that's how the relationship stated then I would be wary to ask. A whole kettle of fish if things weren't started on the basis of them doing you a favour. :)

You could however always drop into the conversation that you are thinking that you will need to look for a sharer due to funding issues and see if they offer.

From where I'm sat, it seems to me that they're doing you the favour by keeping your horse fit (and possibly sane) enough for you to ride when you do have the time. Do they do any chores?

I'd get them both sat down and explain that although you are reluctant to ask them for money, if they weren't riding your horse then you could save money on x (perhaps shoes?) and therefore would they be willing to put a bit, say £20 each (proportionate to riding time etc) towards each time he's shod?

Thanks, Yeah I was thinking about saying that I need a sharer & see what response I get. Otherwise I was thinking about £5.00 a ride, so not like I was going to ask a for loads. I think they both enjoy having something to ride & my horse would be more than happy not doing much!!
He's in in the day so they muck out & turn out if ridden in afternoon.
Hum... I'll have a think.

I disagree. If they are doing you a favour and that's how the relationship stated then I would be wary to ask. A whole kettle of fish if things weren't started on the basis of them doing you a favour. :)

You could however always drop into the conversation that you are thinking that you will need to look for a sharer due to funding issues and see if they offer.

I agree. :)

i'm mixed - id only charge them like £5 an hr - so they don't go elsewhere to ride - if u keep it cheap enough then they will c it as a privalage (sp)

I would personally ask for them to say cover the cost of an aspect of my horses care, than ask for actual money.
For example, half the amount of shoeing costs and perhaps half the feed cost, as these are both directly related to whether the horse is being ridden or not, so they are in effect covering your extra expense caused by them riding?

Like Joy scarer says, drop it in to conversation and see whether they choose to take the hint?

Don't ask them for money in exchange for riding, you'll stand a chance of falling foul of the riding schools act.

Make it clear you'd like a contribution for shoes and feed ;) ;)

newrider.com