Dizzy and Daisy's diary

You are doing really fab. I have now not ridden for 3 weeks. I could have ridden weekend before last but was away. Last weekend was snow and Tobes had injured himself. This weekend icy on roads (-6 at 8am this morning) and Tobes is a great slipper at the best of times. Plus, I hate freezing so wasn't that sad!

Hope saddler sorts that saddle out. Very annoying, and I bet you are livid.

I have now not ridden for 3 weeks. I could have ridden weekend before last but was away. Last weekend was snow and Tobes had injured himself. This weekend icy on roads (-6 at 8am this morning) and Tobes is a great slipper at the best of times. Plus, I hate freezing so wasn't that sad!
I think I have been quite lucky with the grotty weather, I seem to be working the on the days when its bad so it hasnt really affected me.
I hate the freezing too so its not that bad that that the saddle is u/s this week, perfect timing will be warmer weather and saddler sorting out the problem :angel:
Hope you get a good ride on Tobes soon - before we know it it will be spring :dance:

Bloomin saddler -again

Have been so looking forward to saddler coming today to put Daisys saddle right, I had a glimpse of it last monday when he first started work on it and she went so well until he decided to add more flocking, he was meant to be coming today, I had a hack booked with my friend for friday, a lesson this afternoon and now he cant come :banghead:
He has had to cancel till saturday afternoon and I know in the big scheme of things this doesnt really matter but I was so looking forward to another plod out with Julie who works full time and only had this week off.
It will have been almost 2 weeks off after just getting off the ground with our lessons etc.
I should know better than to winge as everything always does turn out for the best, just a bit impatient I suppose, and I am getting rather bored of my attempted lunging :furious:

You cant keep a good Haffie down

Got over to my field today to see field neighbour taking her Haffie out for a ride and was so peeved about my saddle so decided to pop big daughter's treeless on Daisy and have a plod about.
This was my first experience of a treeless saddle and probably my last but it wasn't too bad, had to do girth up as tight as I could from the ground because you cant really reach it once your on, saddle was made of some sort of imitation suede which seemed to 'grab' me and once on realised the stirrups were way too short and it was impossible to change them whilst mounted so off I hoped in my cavalry style and still only just managed to free myslef from this sticky saddle. Any how once adjustments were made hopped back on (just) and had a lovely ride round the field and saddle did feel quite comfy, could feel every movement of Daisy in trot and that felt weird but also good. But the saddle seemed to hold my leg in a different position and the fronts of my thighs/hips were really aching so I got off and did an attempt at lunging again :unsure: wasnt that good.
But just as I was giving up little daughter came down the lane, shes half my weight and fitted in the saddle ok plus she is used to it so she gave Daisy a good workout in the field and then decided to cool her off by walking down the lane and then ended up hacking her out round the whole scary farm.
Daisy didnt put a hoof wrong, Lyd was so chuffed with herself, she is an excellent rider but lacks confidence usually when out hacking and doesnt really do anything solo, but she was well pleased with Daisy, and Im well pleased with Lyd for showing me Daisy is still well behaved Daisy and any problems we may still have - once saddle is fixed - are down to me and my colly wobbles :smile:

Last edited:
Just couldn't wait for tomorrow for the saddler to come so rode Daisy in the treeless saddle again - oooh it hurts my hips and is generally rather uncomfortable but Daisy was a angel :angel:
Trotted on both diagonals fine,even had a little canter, all fine.
I had to do it before saddler comes so now I know for deffo there is nowt wrong with the Daisy pony and its just down to the saddle.

Cheeky :wink: It is funny how we always 'just have to make sure its not this... Or...' Glad she is all ok, and just the bloody saddle. Tomorrow is neary upon us and you will up and trotting again :biggrin: Hope yours hips recover quickly also x

Saddle saga

Saddler came today, bit peeved still, after numerous adjustments, saddle has been put back to how it was before he came last time, which he says is not really any good, she has just lost so much weight and changed shape so much that the saddle I bought last August that was meant to last us 'a lifetime' is not the saddle for Daisy anymore.
So for the time being all I can do is walk her out :unsure:
He has left me with a memory foam pad to lift the front and take the weight of the back.
I need to book him in for a new saddle fitting and he will take my old (new) one back in part ex only problem is Daisy stood there and took a big chunk out of it in front of him so I wont get back what I paid for it - she eats anything!
I am going to get her back checked to rule any underlying problems out but I dont think there is anything else as she is fine in a treeless and was fine before the saddler came out originally.
Looks like my hack out tomorrow will just be a plod - cant say I mind really, I am going to ride where I had my last accident so quite happy to plod away....

Cheeky Daisy for taking a chunk out of it, just a way to let you know she aint happy with it :tongue:

I am a bit confused, sorry. But when he 1st came out and did his first adjustments you said he "had to put a smaller gullet in the front he also had to do some re-flocking as the back of the saddle had started to rub her rump. After he had done this the change in Daisy was amazing, she was just so much more forward going, even daughter commented on her lovely walk and her trot was great on both diagonals, I was well chuffed." Then he stuffed it too much, so took extra out, and now it just doesnt fit at all? :redface: I know nothing about saddles, but seems a bit extreme that you now have to buy a new one when she was going really well it in initially.

Enjoy your plod tomorrow, i sadly quite enjoy bringing Ace back into work as its just a walk before the scary stuff :wink: x x x

Enjoy your plod tomorrow, i sadly quite enjoy bringing Ace back into work as its just a walk before the scary stuff :wink: x x x

Ditto to K8te :smug: I dont mind at all.
You have a point about saddler and new saddle, I am such a whimp and get easily 'talked at', he did think that maybe what she was doing was being cheecky and sort of learnt behaviour, thats another reason for just the walking so she 'forgets' about her funny trot??? (this sounds madder than mad) but Daisy does have a habbit of learning things very quickly so she just may have got in the habbit of being a rocking horse???? does that make sense???

Love it, we both have ponies with a 'funny trot' :bounce::giggle:

What about a second opinion, much cheaper then a new saddle? I just dont understand how she was going so well, and now not due to what he has done?

Anyway, enjoy your plod today, i will be out later on may even take some photos as may get hubby to walk out with me. The sun is shining bit shocked by the frost though! So have a lovely day :biggrin: x

Loving the achy bits

Went out for my hack today with Julie, she was meeting me at mine but was running late so I went in my field first with new saddle pad etc. Daisy started doing her circus horse trick so I thought hey ho we will just have to walk (never mind :biggrin:)
Saw my friend cantering accross the fields to get to me so of Daisy and I went down the spooky lane alone to meet her :biggrin::biggrin: NO problem for Daisy and I now :biggrin::biggrin:
Had planned to go over common and face the bit where I had come off last October but I just would not ride along the road and said I was gonna lead her so friend suggested we go round the farm instead ( little does she know that the scary farm fills me with more dread than the common ) but I didnt want to be a pain in the ar.. so of we tottered round all the scariest bits that I had built up in my mind, but once again I kept my mouth shut cos I didnt want to appear to be a wimp and all was wonderful :biggrin:
Until we got to the river and there were anglers hidden in bushes everywhere with big scary rods that they kept flicking about and friends horse spooks big time and takes off so Daisy sort of did a spook too and a twirl and I STAYED ON - so did my friend :dance:
Daisy was really up for it today, was very forward going, especially on the way home so friend says "well we wont go home yet then, we can go round this field instead", this field happened to be my worst and scariest field and it had a whole herd of deer in it and they flippin wouldnt go away and Daisy sort of trumped round as if she was gonna take off any minute and I kept thinking deep seat, low hands, keep calm and we made it :dance::dance:
What an epic ride :dance::dance: AND to finish, once back in field thought I would just try her in trot and for some strange reason she was ok, no circus pony tricks??
Happy Happy aches and pains from a really great and challenging (for moi) ride.:dance::dance:

This is just amazing :dance::dance: Well done to both of you, sounds like you are both getting there, really really happy for you :dance::biggrin:

Circus pony tricks, not doing them after she had been warmed up, maybe she does need her back checking?Have you had it done recently?

Anyway in a rush but Bloody Well Done :biggrin:

Re vets vist

Good result today - well pleased :biggrin:
Had booked back lady for next week and vet for today to do her teeth, thinking I am gonna check every thing out atm and make sure all is well with the Daisy to get to the bottom of her circus horse impressions.
Had to cancel lesson I had for today due to timing of vet and was talking to YO as RS and she 'suggested' there are an awful lot of 'back people' out there and it would be better to ask vet to check her out first as he was coming anyhow.
So vet comes (and Ive got the top man of the practice arrive :smile:) , run through Daisy's history of weight loss, saddle etc
Vet meets Daisy and comments how her weight is absolutely spot on and well done to me for this achievemnet :biggrin:
Vet checked Daisy over thoroughly and concluded there is nothing wrong with her back at all and advised to cancel back lady - result :biggrin:
Vet also said that my 'bloomin saddler' was one of the best around and that he uses him so that has put my mind at rest too.:biggrin:
Daisy went on to be a complete dope on a rope once the sedative kicked in and the only downer was I was roped in to assist the vet by holding her head up while he did her teeth and she was flippin heavy - didnt do my back much good.
So now I know there is nowt wrong with dear old Daisy, saddler coming again in a couple of weeks, I will start walking her out more and see how it all goes from here......................

Attachments

• dopy daisy.jpg
    dopy daisy.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Solo Hack at last etc

Have had a couple of good sessions in my field since the vet came, Daisy's funny leap into trot is more prominant on the right rein but practically none existant on the left now and I think we are both getting cheesed off with just riding in the field, going round and round, especially with this gorgeous weather and so today.............

Did my first solo hack since last year - so long ago I cant even remember, at least last October :dance::dance::dance:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I am so so so chuffed :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Made my mind up last night that today was going to be the day, with the sun shinning like it has been I just had to get out on Daisy ponio on my own, I think I love plodding, just Daisy and me, more than anything else.
We went to the common, I did not even attempt to ride along the road, I dont think I ever will again, but it was fine just leading Daisy in hand on the roads, the thought of hard ground is still too much for me.
It was so good to be so laid back leading her, we used to go over there a few times a week but its been so long and I could feel Daisy was quite nervous a few times but what was lovely was I could see she actually seemed to relax when I gave her encouragement. I have never noticed this before. Its almost like I have more time for her now and I am not trying to prove anything to myself or anyone else anymore, just enjoying the moment with my very sweet girl.
Once on the common I was fine, no nerves, Wagbo didnt stand a chance, Daisy was her usual angelic self, one little whinny at the begining of the ride then off we went.
Had planned to go on at the first entrance, plod up the sandy track to the next entrance and get off and walk home, but ended up riding around most of the common :biggrin:
She didnt plant or put a hoof wrong. She is an :angel:

One happy Haffie owner here, cant wait to do it all over again

Aww. You are so brave! And she sounds wonderful.

What a bummer about the saddle drama. Saddles make me sad too... so hard to get it perfect. :(

Now to be honest though: I would have expected more pictures for a thread like this! ;)

Pictures

Now to be honest though: I would have expected more pictures for a thread like this! ;)

I will try and upload some now Karin, I dont seem to be able to get them big on here like everyone else!

LindaAd - am going in search of your posts to see what happened with you today x

Daisy....................

First one is our hack yesterday with her shark fin mane blowing in the wind
second one is before she lost all her weight - she is now well over 100kg lighter :happy:
third one is her chillaxing with her field companion Dreamy Cup Cake :angel:

Attachments

• hack.jpg
    hack.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 6
  • phone may 2010 090.jpg
    phone may 2010 090.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 7
  • phone may 2010 133.jpg
    phone may 2010 133.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 7
newrider.com