DIY Parelli

tinyted2

Aug 25, 2008
After a eye popping :eek: look at the price of Parelli gear, i was just wondering does anyone make their own gear ie halters, ropes, carrot sticks etc.
I'm kinda hoping to purchase some 6-8mm marine braid and make my own.
I like the idea of Parelli, but just not the prices.
:confused:

I agree about the prices to be honest. I got my natural halters for my lads even before I started doing a bit of parelli earlier this year. None of the items I have since bought have been genuine parelli logo items as frankly I think most are a complete rip off. My carrot stick was bought for around £20 ( may have been less) and that included delivery from ebay. My parelli style long lead rope was bought with a halter from a shop that has since closed down for £20 for the two of them brand new. My last rope was bought from ebay for around £11 I think it was?
If you are thinking of making your own halters and you don't have the size guidelines for making them using your own braid/rope then I am sure I have a file saved that tells you how to do them, giving the sizes of the different sections and where the knots go etc. If you are interested pm me your email address and I will dig it out and send it to you.

Caz

my halter is by nunger knots and the rest is secondhand by parelli or still good makes.
make sure if buying cheaper or making yourself it's still good quality. a rope fraying and coming under done when your having nice canter across field is not best time to discover you should've paid bit more.
also if cheap may not have same feel and can be stiff.

one size fits all halters, don't touch with barge pole, they are not, if you tamper and alter the place of the knots, it either falls apart, frays or you don't get the knots right. then it gets chucked in corner and not used.
horses don't have one size head fits all bodies. aim for pony, arab, foal etc designs.

cheap sticks are very light, ideal for kids etc. string pretty much ok whoever makes it.

my lines nunger knots again, good feel.

Have fun trying to make a halter, I purchased mine locally for a fraction of the cost, but then decided to try and make extra ones.

4 hrs later, and lots of frustration, I had a dogs dinner in front of me......:mad:

Well i've had the rope delivered today, so i'm gunna give it ago wish me luck;)
Will keep uo posted, i may be some time :D

You can get them pretty cheap off ebay..

are you a savvy club member??

cuz i think you can get them cheap from the website if you are ..

not sure, but i know they are on the website ( www.parelli.com )

i think its better getting the real thing, cuz the difference in price will be made up in quality..

good luck!

I agree, over the years I have bought cheaper stuff and regretted it. I am still using all my original genuine Parelli gear that I bought in 2003! and it has had a lot of use and on different horses too! If you become a Savvy Club member the equipment is cheaper and very comparable to other makes, plus the dvds you get each month re excellent.

I got a few of my ropes from different places, like NH supply.

I wash my ropes & halter every few months, and the last time with my pad. The ropes that were not from PNH turned the beautiful green color of my pad. That's where I started figuring they treated their ropes! My 12' from them stays softer, and seems to resist mud staining better.

I'm happy with my now green 22', it was worth saving $20 on it. :D

I made rope halters years ago, they are not hard to do once you have the knack, but you really need to know a horse's head to get the knots right. Finding high quality rope was the most difficult part. Hard to remember that the internet in all of it's selling glory has only been around for the last 15 years.

Ok. I'm feeling old now. :eek:

newrider.com