Difference between cub saddle and pony pad?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
My little girl has ridden a couple of shetland ponies before now and shes always ridden in a cub saddle (she's only 2.5). We've just started riding a new shetland and when I asked his owner if she had a cub saddle we could use, she said "oh no - I don't believe in them. If they're going to learn to ride they should do it properly". I don't particularly mind what she rides in as long as it has a little handle at the front so she's not pulling on the pony's mouth, but I just wondered what she meant? Having seen the pony pad briefly, I can't see how it's going to be any more 'proper'?

Can anyone enlighten me? I'm obviously being thick?!:eek:

No that sounds right to me and is what I thought. But how is using the pony pad the "proper" way to learn to ride? Is it because it has less of a shaped seat so they have to learn to balance better from day 1?

Well you'll need balance eitherway! I suppose the cub saddle gives a bit more support at the back and front, but they both have stirrups..

..she's talking tosh IMO!

I don't often disagreee with Frances and Wally but I have the opposite view, I hate cub saddles and would rather use pony pads.

Daughter rode in one for over two years as a tot showing at county level, jumping etc and has a classical sticky seat now.

I have to admit that if my daughter is riding joy in the paddock as opposed to out on a lead rein 'hack' then she only gets my Best Friend Pad.

No doubt about it that riding bareback helps no end with balance and position and just using a pad is the next best thing but give a strap to grab for. :)

Riding bareback is one thing. IMO I didn't get my 'seat' until I started riding bareback. I was 15.

I wouldn't put a 2 and a half year old tot in a pony pad! They need some support back and front IMO.

Never used a cub saddle, my daughter always rode in 'big girls 'saddle from the age of 5.
Must add though that her pony has got back problems and muscle wasteage due to a cub saddle that was used on her b4 we got her

So has ours! Maybe you can help me. My daughters pony has been out of work since July with a bad back caused by muscle wasteage due to the cub saddle! We have the ok to ride again now following months of rehbilitation long reining etc but she is riding in a numnah and circingle as we have no saddle and no saddle anywhere seems to fit the pony. He has a very short back but flat back too and is now a much better shape than when we got him but I am struggling! No cub saddle or synthetic fits, they all either stick up a mile, press on his withers or just plain wobble around. I thought I had struck gold when I gound a 13.5 inch seat synthetic treeless but when I read the small pring, the saddle is still 17 inches long its just it has a 13.5 inch seat! I am desperate but have not got the money for a 600 pound made to measure!!!

I don't often disagreee with Frances and Wally but I have the opposite view, I hate cub saddles and would rather use pony pads.

Daughter rode in one for over two years as a tot showing at county level, jumping etc and has a classical sticky seat now.

There is a thought, I have considered a pony pad, at least she can have her stirrups back. The pony is definatelt happier bareback and Nats position is a treat now. I thought I wouldnt be able to show in one though, so is a pony pad ok for showing in?

I am not sure if I am the best person to ask, however after going through endless second hand saddles, I would recommend getting a saddler out to check and advice you on whats best.
We ended up buying a new almost custom made mleather saddle, BUT saddler said the thorowgood we was using was the best fit we had b4 we ordered the new leather saddle.

I have witnessed so many kids slide off sideways with those wretched pony pads.

I am not a fan of the Cub and Colt saddle as they don't do much to help little legs get around a fat pony they encourage the wrong position. If the panels are not put on with care the kids can go squint. We only used them for the tiny tots going for a pony ride.

99.9% of the time we go for the pony club saddle.

eml, you have an enlightened approach to teaching and pay attention to the effect the rider has on the pony. Your daughter would not have been allowed to slap about on the pony. I jest not when I say you can HEAR the kids doing rising trot in those pads, The poor pony has to endure hours of slap, slap, slap, of bottom on his poor un protected back.

A good rider with a pad is preferable to a cub saddle any day.

If you get one of the better shaped pony pads covered in leather then you will be able to show in it, I would rather that than a cub! I saw one the other day that looked very smart, didn't look at the make unfortunately but you could phone the saddlery if you get stuck.

Echo what Wally said you do need to make sure the child rides correctly but we still use ours for working with the odd tiny pony that comes in for schooling, particularly if they have been having saddle issues

Hmm interesting - thanks everyone. Gievn that she is only 2.5 so really has little balance, and that we will literally just be going for a tiny walk round the paddock, I wonder how well they'll both cope with the pony pad? I have a feeling she'll be flopping about all over the place although there shouldn't be any of the slap slapping coz it'll be years before we get anywhere near rising trot!!

newrider.com