Diary of Nic - The Nervy Novice

that is a very good point eml makes! When I was first doing some little tests that involved cantering my RI always had me go last so that my trusty steed had seen the others and knew what he was meant to do despite my rather ropey instructions. Cheating really - but it worked!

Horses are herd animals so tend to follow each other, ours watch and often copy the horse in front and cantering is therefore much easier than when you are on your own in the school as the horse picks up on the fact that others have cantered so even if our aids are a bit confusing they know what you mean!

I hadn't thought of this! I'm so used to my private lessons where on some horses it's such hard work to get a canter in the first place, that I don't get enough time to work on the canter itself. Hopefully this will make things a bit easier.

Leaving for my 1st group class in 20 minutes!! 1st time riding in a group. 1st time riding outdoors. 40mph winds & sleet outside[emoji33]

And I'm a complete nervous wreck!!![emoji15] [emoji15] But I ain't chickening out!

Posting now in the hope that I'll be following it with a much more positive post in a couple of hours! (with a glass of wine in my hand)

Wine is poured!! I loved it!!

Such a different experience with a new RI!

I was scared as hell at first as I was on a HUGE horse, Dakota, who I'd never ridden before. But the RI spent time making sure I could control her before doing anything else.

She told me she was "all head" which I didn't understand and that I would see what she meant. My God!! I had to seriously pull on the reins with all my strength to get her to stop...and that was in walk! But I barely had to use my legs with her, she responded to the slightest movement which was great. She also responds to voice cues, the RI had to whisper "canter" in case she took off! Super fast in trot though, she flew round the school. I was riding upfront and kept ending up at the end because she was so much faster than the others. I was tense at first but then really enjoyed being on a horse that's so responsive. And I got used to the speed after 10 mins of trotting. Also learned half halts, which my usual RI has never mentioned. I had to use them the whole time to stop her charging off

The RI then swapped me onto my favourite horse Hector as she said she didn't want me to try a canter on such a fast horse until I felt ready.

He usually canters like a dream, not tonight!!! He was having none of it. And when I tapped him with the crop, he had a bit of a bucking tantrum. It actually made me laugh as he's usually so docile.

The RI asked what I was thinking & I said I wished I'd been braver & stayed on Dakota. She talked me through my nerves & said she can see I'll need a bit of a push to get me to do things I'm afraid of & that now she's got to know me she'll start doing that. It felt like she just had my personality figured out

I really liked her & I trust her. Apparently my hips are good & my control is good but there are 2 things holding me back - my confidence...and my bloody heels not going down.

She guessed correctly that I wear heels all the time, so my homework is stretching exercises and flat shoes for a week

So glad I did it. Another wee hurdle out of the way

Thank you! Unfortunately my class is cancelled tonight :( I was so looking forward to it too (despite still being nervy) and to wearing my brand new riding gloves:p (had a bit of a horsey shoppig spree at the weekend)
But I still have my private lesson on Saturday, I'm determined to get a bloomin good canter then no matter what! :D

Reactions: Jessey
Another really enjoyable lesson on Saturday! I had a different instructor and he was fantastic. I felt like I got so much out of the 30 minutes. I was on a horse I’ve never been on before, I was supposed to ride her a few weeks ago but my RI changed horses because she said she was too fast for me, so I was a bit nervous about what was coming. But she was amazing. Very, very fast and strong – she used to pull carts apparently – her trot was faster than I’ve ever experienced, but what a lovely canter!

The RI also gave me some reassurance about my problems getting my heels down, he just said he didn’t worry about it too much when people were learning to ride because it comes with time. He watched me ride and said the reason my feet weren’t in the right position was because I’m tensing up and gripping with my knees.

He seems to think that the more I ride, the more I’ll relax and that it’ll all come together. Here’s hoping!
I’m desperate to sort my feet out as they always slip around so much in the stirrups in canter that I feel like I’m going to lose one.

I got loads of cantering in though, which was great, longest canter yet. My usual RI tends to spend a while with me in rising trot and I only get to canter in the last 10 minutes of my lesson, but I spent the whole lesson cantering this time.

It really helped that the RI ran around the school the whole time so he was beside me giving me pointers. My own RI usually stands at the top end and leaves me to get on with it.

He kept reminding me to keep my hands forward which really helped, as I’ve a habit of pulling on the reins when I start cantering. The best tip he gave me was not to look straight ahead at the wall when I’m approaching a corner and to turn my head and look where I’m going instead. That really helped as I sometimes get a bit panicked when I see a wall coming towards me in canter. Need to remember both!

The RI who takes my Tuesday night class is in hospital so he’s taking the class instead and I’m really looking forward to it.

Sounds great, I'll be honest it sounds like you are ready to move on from your normal Saturday instructor, it sounds like you have outgrown her already and these others are taking you into the next level :)

Sounds great, I'll be honest it sounds like you are ready to move on from your normal Saturday instructor, it sounds like you have outgrown her already and these others are taking you into the next level :)
Thanks Jessie. I think you're right. I was on such a high on Saturday after my lesson. Although it's probably the hardest I've ever worked in a lesson. Im still literally aching all over!
TBH, I'd love to be able to change my private lessons to work with the RI I had on Saturday but I'm not sure when he teaches as he was only filling in. I may ask him on Tuesday night at my group lesson. It's a bit awkward though as my niece has her lesson right before mine and she loves our current RI. She's much better with kids I think.

I def. think you should ask him or your normal Tuesday night RI, and it should be fine even if your niece has her lesson with current one still, some people just out grow or suit different instructors better, it not a personal question of their skills just growth and different learning habits. Has your niece tried a different RI to see how they compare for her?

Has your niece tried a different RI to see how they compare for her?

She had a lesson with the RI who normally takes my Tuesday night group class and liked her but she prefers our current RI. She missed her lesson on Saturday and when I told her I'd had a new instructor for mine, who I really liked and thought I might change to, her answer was "Oh no Aunty Nic, I don't want A BOY to teach me!":D

I HAD MY FIRST FALL!:eek:

I had my second group lesson on Tuesday, I was on Sapphire, the same horse I rode on Saturday.
The lesson went very well, although handling her speed meant I was a bit wobbly at times. Still having major problems with my feet in canter, one of them slipped so far forward it was only stopped from going through the stirrup by the heel.

I’ve decided I’m going to ask for my stirrups to be put up a bit higher than normal at my next lesson to see if it helps. My RI is always reluctant to do that but my feet are making me feel really unsafe while I’m trying to learn canter and I’m nervy enough without worrying about coming off with a foot stuck in a stirrup.
I even managed a canter on her without holding on to the saddle, the first I’ve ever attempted that on such a fast horse.

Both times I’ve ridden her, she’s kept tripping over her front feet, on Saturday I managed it fine and was reassured because the RI says she always rights herself and never falls.
Unfortunately, right at the end of my lesson on Tuesday I was in a fast trot with her and she completely lost her footing and went down onto her front knees.

I did a sideways somersault over her head and landed on my back. Thankfully, after a brief jelly legged moment, I got out of the way and avoided her falling on me!

I surprised myself with how calm I was about it, although because the lesson was done, I didn’t get back on. I suspect I was in shock though, as the nerves are hitting me now.:oops:

I spent last night in bed feeling very anxious about my lesson coming up on Saturday. I did end up asking myself why I was putting myself at such risk by taking up something so dangerous, but I love it so much.

I know I need to just get back on. I don’t think I’d want to get on Sapphire again though, I’d be a wreck worrying about it happening again.
I just hope I have a nice easy lesson on Saturday and hopefully regain some of my confidence!:confused:

You will be fine. Don't stress, you are paying, so ask to ride a different horse. These things happen! I haven't come off for a while but I fell off loads when I first started riding again after having my daughter, and was generally fine about getting on again. I fell off cantering without stirrups, jumping (several times). Thinking about it, the idea of coming off in a nice soft school doesn't bother me too much, it's when you come off out hacking and then have to get straight up and catch your horse that it becomes a real problem!

Reactions: New Rider Nic
Despite being very wary after my fall on Tuesday I just had my best lesson yet today!! I was on my faithful favourite, Hector. He's such a sweetheart. I feel completely safe & at ease with him.

I told my RI about the fall and she asked what I wanted to get out of today's lesson, so I told her I needed to canter as much as possible and that it's the transitions that I find most difficult.

She took it on board and what a workout she gave me, I spent the entire lesson cantering & she kept telling me to bring him back to trot then straight back to canter then back to trot again. Lost count of the amount of transitions. But for the first time ever, I then cantered non stop round & round the school - about 5 or 6 circuits on each rein. No holding saddle or mane, no slipping stirrups, no wobbles.

It was just brilliant!! I am on such a high now!

Had a good chat about the issues I've had with my stirrups - which weren't a problem today. My RI said it just shows that the problem comes from me tensing up & that relaxing & letting my legs drop down on a horse I'm confident on sorted it today. She said time & confidence will fix it.

This lesson was just what I needed after Tuesdays fall. For the first time ever, I thought "I can ride!" :)

Reactions: sophie33 and Jessey
newrider.com