Diary of a nervous new owner

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
OK, after all the support you lot have given me, I can't very well ignore all of your requests for a diary to track our adventures, so here we go! I'm also hoping it will be good to look back on to see how far we've come.

Day 2 -

Bella and Millie's owner went down first thing and said that Bella was seriously not happy - charging around, and squealing and being the grumpy mare she always is when there's a new horse in town. She does this awful thing of squealing, and striking out with a front foot and back foot at the same time. It's very unnerving! Her owner thought that maybe she'd calm down if Millie went back in with her, and it seemed to do the trick. Meanwhile, Tango couldn't care less! He was totally fine with being on his own - and the other horses are in the next door field now. I have electrified the fence as I don't want Bella getting too close though! :hot:

I have driven past the field a number of times just to make sure everything was ok and EVERY time I have, Tango has been head down, quite happy! :happy:

I was due to meet my friend (Bella's owner) up there at 5.30pm tonight and she was going to take him out for a little hack. The RS had assured me I could get on him yesterday and he would have been fine, and I'm also aware that he has already done a lot less work this week than he usually does so didn't want to leave it too long.

I got there a bit early as it was threatening to rain so I (bravely) got him in by myself. I don't know if you remember but my last loan horse, Hetty, would not walk 10 steps away from the paddock because she couldn't bear to be parted from Bella and the walk to the stables with her was horrendous with her spinning in front of me every step of the way. That has taken it's toll and I am now worried about just bringing him in from the field to the stable. BUT he was fine! I walked straight up to him and caught him and he walked nicely all the way. He was a bit wide eyed but he'd never been there so understandable. Anyway - I did it!

I tied him up outside the stable and started grooming him and then my friend arrived and I was glad as he was not hugely settled. Nothing major but swinging about a bit, chewing the lead rope, a bit worried. Gave him a quick groom but had to get a move on as the black cloud was looking more threatening.

My friend rode him and I walked with her. This is the same friend who came to try him for me on my second viewing. Ideally we would have ridden Bella out with us - I could have ridden her. But there was no way she would have behaved herself the way she is at the moment. We wouldn't even have been able to tie her up safely to tack up. So we decided to try him alone. Now he has not done a lot of hacking alone in the last 4 years - if at all. So didn't know what to expect. My friend said he was faster walking out - but at least he did walk out, I was quite prepared for a refusal. After all, he doesn't know who we are, he hasn't made friends with the other horses, he didn't know where we were going and he had no other horse to hold his hand and tell him it was ok.

Anyway, long story short (ha this is already long!!) he was great. He walked fast the whole way round. I certainly had a workout! So that's not great as I liked him slow, but maybe it was nervous/excited energy? When she trotted him though, his lovely slow but long stiding trot was still there. I breathed a sigh of relief - that's more like it. I think he napped about 3 times in the hour we were out. No spinning or trying to turn round, just a few steps backwards probably to just see "what happens if I....?" The first 2 my friend managed to kick him on after a few seconds. After that I gave her a whip and the next time he did it, she gave him a tap and he went straight off.

We were mainly on grass tracks - my worry area - and she said he never tried to tank off. In trot she shortened her reins as if she was going to canter but he didn't speed up or anticipate. She did some sitting trot on the grass tracks and he didn't anticipate a canter. On the last open stretch of grass fairly close to home she asked him to canter. She lost a stirrup and had a squeal (its involuntary!) and he didn't react. He does trot on for quite a while after a canter almost like he can't stop but she said it feels like he is trying to stop but just can't slow down quick enough. But that he's not strong with it and you can tell that he's trying to stop!

Once back at the stables I groomed him all over and he seemed much calmer. I put him back and poo picked. Wow that horse can poo! He had twice as much in his field as Bella and Millie put together!

So all in all, a good ride. Will do something else with him Friday. May just ride in the field and then I could do a bit. Maybe. Am not rushing myself and my friend said she loves riding him so she's happy to ride him to keep him going. Stupid I know as he's my horse, who I have dreamed of for so long, but if I could skip these settling in weeks I would!

He sounds like he's very well behaved. I think most horses would be a bit "fast" on their first time out in a new area but just focus on all the good points - he didn't do anything naughty.

Of course, I do have a major criticism LWTB .... where are the PHOTOS????

So pleased he is so chilled out in the field. He sounds like he was a really good boy on the hack, if the worst he did was walk a little fast and have a look around I would be thrilled.
Really looking forward to keeping up with your diary:biggrin:

I think he sounds like a superstar. Walk, trot and canter on his first hack in a new place, with new people, and not a hoof out of place! That is a seriously good boy.

Phoooooooootoooooooos....

What a good boy!!!! I think it's fair for him to be a little quicker on his first hack as he was probably a little excited/nervous.....just think, if that's the extent of what he does in new and exciting surroundings, you've got a good un!

A couple of points that your post has had me thinking:
1. Stop looking for problems
2. If you convince yourself that these problems are going to occur, they will.
3. RELAX

Do you have ‘Perfect Confidence’ by Kelly Marks? If not, get it, work though the exercises and change the way you think about it. I'd really recommend doing some NLP to change the way you perceive the situation, glass half full type stuff!

Personally, these days, I think of the butterflies in my tummy as excitement, not nerves (for example!)

First step, change the name of your diary... “Diary of an excited new owner” :D

LWTB what a fabulous post! You have found a real saint of a horse (maybe he is related to Cortrasna's Dolly?! :giggle:) and if all he did on his first hack in 4 year on new territory is nap 3 times and have a fast walk, I'd definitely say you have a keeper!!

He sounds like a total babe :inlove:

I am really looking foward to following this diary. a good bit of bed time reading.

i think you need to relax.... easyer said than done i know, & stop waiting for him to do something naughty because by the dounds of it he is not going to. :smile:

Sounds as if he is a saint, as well as a stunner. You are a very lucky lady, not that I'm remotely jealous of course. :biggrin:

Thanks guys!! I will try and relax but after 32 years of being a pessimist, old habits die hard! I have done numerous NLP things and am doing a work related one day thing next week but will be avidly listening to see what bits I can pinch for riding!!

I went up by myself last night and caught him and gave him a quick brush. There was nowhere in his field to tie him up to safely so I just held his lead rope and let him eat while I groomed. I hope that's ok?! He just ate away and ignored me while I brushed :smile:

Tonight I'm going up alone again and I will bring him out of his field and tie him up and do the same.

I went up by myself last night and caught him and gave him a quick brush. There was nowhere in his field to tie him up to safely so I just held his lead rope and let him eat while I groomed. I hope that's ok?! He just ate away and ignored me while I brushed :smile:

Tonight I'm going up alone again and I will bring him out of his field and tie him up and do the same.

This sounds more positive already :D he sounds like a super chap.

Day 4

OK well I didn't quite do exactly as I'd planned because the Shetland was roaming around (due to escaping / being let out last night) and there wasn't anywhere I could put her out of the way.

But I did do as much as I could. I went up by myself. I caught him - first time (he was really hard to catch for Bellas owner this morning but maybe he was wound up after all the shennanigans) which was a relief. I walked him round his field, asking him to stop and start with voice aids.

Then I made somewhere to tie him up to and gave him a good groom. Really gave him a good going over. He was very good and settled down really well after a while and seemed to really enjoy it. The only time I felt a bit nervous was when doing his feet. He kept moving away and with the back ones he picked them up really high and kind of out to the side a bit which made me think he was going to kick. He did it both sides - not sure what that was about??

Then I turned him back out. I put him in the next field down where there is a bit more grass, but just after I'd unclipped his leadrope I saw that the bottom gate wasn't shut. Typically he went straight in to the even longer grass - doh! I went in after him but he wasn't having any of it and refused to be caught then! I didn't try too hard as its a big field and little chance of me catching him so I left him to it. I think I'll be ok catching him tomorrow.

Oh and I took some piccies expescially for you...

IMG00175-20110728-1902.jpg

IMG00176-20110728-1902.jpg

IMG00180-20110728-1925.jpg

Oh beautiful boy. See, you caught him fine! He looks in stunning condition, shiny as a conker.

Mattie our loan horse picks his feet up at the back that way - really high, and out to the side. It gave me the willies to start with but I'm used to it now. Our physio says he is just more comfortable that way, who knows why?

Oh that's great to hear Jane - that makes me feel better. And the more I do it and see he's not trying to kick me the happier I'll get. It's all about building trust - for him and me!

My friend's horse does the up and out with the legs, then he'll relax and the leg comes down to the usual place. Never kicked.
He has windgalls not sure if that's relevant, but i guess all horses balance in their own way.

My friend's horse does the up and out with the legs, then he'll relax and the leg comes down to the usual place. Never kicked.
He has windgalls not sure if that's relevant, but i guess all horses balance in their own way.

Oh Tango has windgalls too! I forgot about that as the vet said it wasn't important and was just due to his age. I totally forgot about that in the excitement of him passing the vetting that I have totally forgotten to look them up! I wonder if it is related?

newrider.com