Derby training, a life size plastic cow and a spotty pony

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
Well took the spotty one to school over a grass derby course with a friend and RI.

Cyrus hated and was so scared of this life size plastic cow in the middle of grass arena/derby field.

I did persevere and was more confident than was at xc last week so rode through the silliness, and spookiness, cyrus going up several times on back legs and napping to avoid the cow of doom!!

We did a few different short courses several times and I was knackered after, Cyrus was still full of energy :D

Was glad I did it though and did not give up and freeze insteas of riding.

Luckily Cyrus is a very balanced pony and did not go up too high or go back so could cope with it.

Poor naughty chap maybe he needs therapy :D

Reactions: Rubic
This is a pic of the cow (from when it was in main arena months ago for jump x when spots did not look at it at all :rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Going to try do as much xc/derby stuff with Cyrus as can as he is basically quite green about xc/derby type jumps.

First tiny haybale jump did today was maybe only 5ocm max and he cleared it by another 40-50cm lol.

daisyboswell.jpg

Yeah I was really nervous at first when he went up and last week was so worried about it. But just tried to stay calm and focused. He wasn't hard to sit to when he went up thankfully as he seems quite balanced. So just had to as soon as put front legs back down be really firm and tell him where to go.

The cow was freaky!

Last edited:
newrider.com