daisy rein and grass rein

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Can you explain the difference of the daisy rein and grass rein. Which would be suitable in helping to prevent horse putting head down to munch.

I thought grass reins run from bit to d rings , one either side( as a child my ponies were made from brown nylon thin dog leads), and daisy reins run from top of headpiece down the mane and split in a y shape and fasten to both d reins. x

Reactions: Jessey and joosie
For my first pony we used dog leads as grass reins on used to put his head down and munch then put a huge buck in, it did work when they were used. Obviously they cant be too tight though, just tight enough to stop them sticking their nose out and pulling their neck down as they try to pull the reins out of little hands to munch grass. Basically it's like having a second pair of fixed reins. You can't jump in them though so only used for flatwork. x

Thanks, so I dont have to specifically go and buy one. I could experiment first. Have read up a bit and it seems that if horse pulls head down to hard he can pull the D rings out of saddle. Not sure I want that.
Anyone had any luck with a nose net/grazing muzzle.

I dont have a problem, but Ive got some children riding my lad and he keeps putting his head down. Ive told them that they are letting him get away with it, but I guess they are just not strong enough to stop him. As they have only been riding a couple of months, they are having there riding experience hampered.

Thanks, so I dont have to specifically go and buy one. I could experiment first. Have read up a bit and it seems that if horse pulls head down to hard he can pull the D rings out of saddle. Not sure I want that.

I highly doubt they would pull hard enough to pull the D rings out with grass reins, bearing in mind the other end is attached directly to the bit!
I wouldn't bother buying grass reins, I just used to use baling twine.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
I agree, I'd use twine first and if in the future you want something a bit smarter for shows ect then go down the cheap brown or black dog lead route( you would have to measure the length you need) also coloured grip reins are great for teaching kids where to hold the reins too. I use grazing muzzles on our fell but they rub so alternate a few makes so she has no consistent pressure points. x

Just checked grass and daisy reins are different.
Grass rein does attach to bit and feeds up towards either side of poll then goes down either side of neck. The daisy rein is a single strap running down top line of neck, splitting into two to attach to d ring. I wondered which is the more effective. Or third option, would side reins be just as effective?
This is grass rein. http://www.lyndashorsewear.co.uk/grass-reins-webbing-c2x9265374
This is a daisy rein http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shires-Leather-Daisy-Reins/dp/B0085OQHHS

Reactions: Cortrasna
Totally different things!

Grass reins stop ponies being able to reach the grass when ridden we fashion ours our of bale twine but I am sure you can have smart ones made. They go from to D ring to bit to browband over poll through otherside of browband, through other side of bit and back to other D ring.

A daisy rein goes up the ponies crest and was origionally thought of as an antibuckng device

Reactions: Cortrasna
Your not supposed to ride in side reins and I wouldn't allow a novice to attempt to, side reins fasten to the girth straps so totally different to grass reins. x

Use the fall down on your saddle rather than D's The fall downs are on a split pin that goes right through the tree and are designed to take a bit of strain, D rings are just attached by staples or tacks into the tree through a bit of leather, Not really up to much punishment and pulled out easily.

newrider.com