curb bit for shying, bolting, bucking? *big horse*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridergal

Oct 1, 2008
Looking for advice from trainers/riders who ride big 18hh horses only pls.:)

I ride a huge, wellbuilt 18hh horse. He is well trained. walks trots canters, flying changes, all beautifully. But one problem: when he shies, I come off balance, he bolts and as I stop him, bucks. No big deal - on a smaller horse - that's happened to me many times. But this honkin horse is so big and powerful that I can't get the head up and when he shies, I'm a goner (a Big step sideways).

I have been riding for many many years. Thoroughbreds, arabians, appys, quarter horses, mixes ...etc. Both western & english. But this one stumps me:

Advice?

I thought a curb bit had an action which would lower the horse's head :confused:
If this is so, it probably won't help you much when bucking ...

I would suggest rather than changing the bit that you need to work on desensitizing him from the monster and gaining his trust and respect throuhg groundwork....reducing the shies and the bolts.

The curb chain will lower the head so will be ineffective during a buck. Its not about hauling the head up, its about riding a horse through a buck to stop it..;)

Ridergal no bit is going to solve this problem, it's up to the rider to deal with it.

Firstly you need to keep him sufficiently focused on you & his work that he hasn't the time to look for things to shy at. Yes, there may still be the odd thing that genuinely startles him but he shouldn't be shying on a regular basis.

Secondly you need to work on your seat & balance so that you aren't thrown off balance if he does shy. If you can keep your position secure you should find he's less likely to run away with you (I wouldn't be surprised to find you're accidently asking him to go when you're thrown off balance) & if he does you'll be able to stop him quicker. Hopefully if he doesn't get away from you & you don't have to fight to pull him up then the bucking will solve itself.

Before you ask I do own & ride a big, very powerful & rather sharp horse so I do appreciate the problem you have. I really do believe it's up to the rider though, the horse can't alter what he is so we have to learn to cope.

No cos he's broken. We all know the one you really ride is only 16.3 :rolleyes:

i can't even argue with that. except to say maybe dyl is 16.2 without shoes.

however, using the formula number of days owned divided by number of rides times height squared to the power of 2 brackets 16.3 x 18.1 close brackets, i can. and I win, so i am qualified...

carthorse - apparently that extra inch makes a huge difference :cool:

Come on then Roofs, if you're qualified as you insist you are, you may give us your answer to the OP's question & get this fred back on topic ;)

oh lordy i don't know, my 18.1hh horse is perfect!

maybe hit it with a raw egg on the end of a carrot stick whilst you're barefoot with no trees near the horse, a criollo in the background with no bits and a pig oil and sulphur cocktail available?

My spooker and shyer is only a 16.1 wellbuilt warmblood so I probably have no advice to give, but she doesn't play up and run off in her bitless bridle because she's not getting jabbed in the mouth when she spooks.

ok, so because i ride a 13.3 icelandic, any advice from me is obviously useless to you. Smaller horses dont bolt and they certainly dont buck.

Shame they scare themselves when they fart :p:p:p

I used to ride a 17.2hh hoss - am I qualified?

If so, ride in a snaffle and school for manners :p

are you all forgetting the obvious :rolleyes:

Its not the mouth there's a problem with so why use a curb bit? its the feet if you having a bolting problem, I suggest standing the horse in buckets of wet concrete till they set, then taking it out for a quick ride, I bet it doesn't bolt then :)

honestly some people can't see the wood for trees :rolleyes:

Have you had its back, feet, saddle, eyes, ears and nose checked? :cool:

Forget the concrete, just ride on very soft ground. When it tries to rear/buck its feet will just sink into the ground and hey presto no buck :D

see now we're thinking correctly :D

I like your style Noel ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com