Couple of pelham questions

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
Bee is ridden in this bit >>> http://www.tds-saddlers.com/productdetails.asp?PCLinkID=1883

At the risk of sounding like a proper novice (my old pony was always ridden in a snaffle) - how does this bit work? How does the curb chain work? Does it work better tighter or looser? Is there a rule about it?

What about the mouth piece? Would that not encourage a horse to lean on it?

What about roundings? Bee has this bit but in roundings - I was always under the impression the intention is for double reins to allow you to control the pressure exerted by the curb and snaffle separately?

Thanks in advance - hope i don't sound like too much of a numpty!

The pelham has to be used with two reins, If you use roundings there is a risk the curb chain will be in use permanently and damage the jaw. The idea is you get to choose which rein you use.

The curb chain must lie in the curb groove, behind the knobble in the chin and only come into play when the curb rein is used. You can check byputting your finger between the chin and the chain. Even better try iton your own shin. Do the chain up behind your knee and pull on the bottom rein rings. You'll get an idea of the power the bottom rein in the wrong hands has.

Basically , the tighter the chain the more severe the bit. Some horses hate a chain but go sweetly in a leather or elastic curb.

I have always thought that the tighter the curb chain, the more severe bit. However someone told me that the tigher the curb chain, the less severe it is. I was told that the curb chain stopped the bit being pulled back too far and exerting too much poll pressure. If the curb chain was looser, more pressure could be put on the bit because you could physically pull back further resulting in greater poll pressure.

I have no idea if that is correct or not. I always ride my horse in a snaffle!

I don't like roundings, like Wally said the point of the curb is to only be used if it's needed and having roundings no matter how careful you are will mean the curb is always 'on' if you see what I mean.

Wally is spot on.

I do see a use for a pelham I use to hunt my Arab in one but she was schooled in a snaffle. excellent did if kit if used correctly and in the right hands.

I like pelhams on some horses.

The curb needs to be chosen carefully and range from elastic to chain, the only real way to try is to experiment. What ever curb is chosen it needs to fit in the curb groove and only come into action when the tension on the bottom rein moves the bit to a 45% angle. Please also use a lip strap to keep the curb in place, I have seen too many accidents happen without these!

If you really feel the need to use 'roundings' you may be better served by a Kimblewick which has a similar action with one rein or even split reins which means you have only one in your hand but can adjust the relative influence of curb and snaffle to suit the horse/occasion.

My worry with the rubber mouthpiece is that it suits very few horses, being too bulky for many, and I agree may encourage some leaning. These days pelhams are available in as many of not more mouthpieces than snaffles.

Why has someone chosen this particular bit...often people see it as a mild alternative because the mouthpiece is chunky but this really depends on the shape of your horses mouth??

MaryPoppins I think you are possibly thinking about the action of the popular Myler backstrap which has the effect you describe.

Last edited:
When I was 12 I was lent an Exmoor pony called Beauty who was ridden in a rubber pelham. Her owner was a very experienced lady who broke in several of the big horses that the yard I was on bred, and always rode Beauty with two reins. As I was young, she put roundings on for me, and I had Beauty for over a year and did cross country on her, the mini Exmoor Golden Horseshoe ride, jump classes and everyday hacking.

Whilst it would certainly be infinitely better to ride with two reins, Beauty did not return to her owner with a dreadful mouth and huge problems at all - and I was very young. Whilst I am not disputing other posters much more extensive experience, if the bit suits her and you have sympathetic hands (or these days what is classed as ineffectual hands), I think it better to use what the horse is happy with, rather than change it all - or even better, learn to use two reins - I tried a couple of weeks ago on my Neue Schule Verbindend with universal sides. Hacking out on the roads was no problem, although I did find it tricky waving at people, having got my reins right!!

To be honest, it isn't rocket science using two reins, and if you leave the curb alone unless you need it, I am sure by the time you have ridden for a week you will have the hang of it.

newrider.com