Coronavirus

A lot of states are on the uptick agsin here.
Spring break idiots caused mayhem in Miami causing curfews. Sadly the stupidity doesn't stay there they all run rampant no masks no distance
PARTY ON... then... Come back.

I heard that people travelling out of this country don't need a negative test but to come back home they have to test negative..vaccinated or not..

Now there are fake vaccination cards being sold.

I really wonder if we will ever be back to normal.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
Been awhile since I've felt the need to post in this thread, but new variant on the horizon bringing back face masks in shops (working in retail I'm so happy about this!) things are starting to feel uncertain and worrying again.

There is covid in my grandmas care home currently and it's so scary, they are all jabbed and had their boosters but I'm still so worried for her and means I can't see her for the foreseeable again.

How is covid still impacting you or are things more back to normal now where you are?

I still wear a face mask when i go shopping. Its been shocking how many havent been.

Im still limiting where i go.
My work has obviously been wrecked by covid but im hanging in there and accepting whats left for now. I was actually texted last night by an old client whos friend needs help. I have space and financially i really need to take it.
Im very carefully to keep my distance from people when in there homes. I also still use my hand sanitiser. Im surprised how many dont carry any on them.

There are always going to be new variants. It is not going to go away and I think people need to get the facts for themselves and be sensible for their own circumstances. I don’t think more lockdowns will work as the rates will always increase when things open up again. I am more worried about the other health issues people are facing where treatment has stopped and death rates are rising. I would be interested to find out those death rates. For example suicide rates are up due to mental health services being cut even more. Mum has been waiting for 2 years for knee replacements etc.

We do need to be sensible but we also need to take responsibility for ourselves rather than wait for the government to tell us what to do.

It isn't on the horizon, it is here in Essex.

Let's just hope it turns out to be no more of a problem than the delta variant. Infections have been high for the last few months but hospitalisations and deaths have been going steadily down. As long as that continues I really don't worry about infection rates.

As for masks, I see so many people in shops wearing face sheilds which do nothing to filter breath and badly adjusted masks that I wonder whether it really makes much of a difference - I just go when the shop is quiet so I can keep a distance and spend as little time as possible in there.

And yes, I am double vaccinated plus booster!

Last edited:
Atm i will carry on wearing my mask, going to shops when it is quiet (which I do anyway and it is only the chemist, tescos and feed store) and I get my booster on Tuesday if it will mean that I can get mental health support.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I am still getting over covid as are my 2 kids and husband. It’s more real for me at the moment than it has been at any time. I’m still so tired and it lingers on. I’m double jabbed and it’s scary to think how bad covid was with the vaccines so god knows how it would have been without.

• Sad
I had my booster booked for tomorrow, but just cancelled - I've got the worst cold, (tested negative for covid) - but can't face feeling any more ill than I already do. Wearing my face mask still in shops (Never stopped), sanitizing etc.

• Sad
I gave up wearing a face mask in shops a month or so ago, simply because no one else was, and wearing one has never protected you, just others and they obviously didn’t care.
I’m still testing twice a week (we’re required to for Search and Rescue). Life does go on but I didn’t have a massively covid risky routine before it hit so it’s pretty easy.
I would be interested to find out those death rates. For example suicide rates are up due to mental health services being cut even more.
I’ve noticed the increase in suicidal people (we do a lot of looking for suicidal people with SAR) but I haven’t seen anything to say it’s because there is less support, most people indicate to us it’s because of increased stress from covid, eg financial stress, isolation etc. And most have had support from mental health services.

• Sad
I have had both jabs and the third one, ditto OH and my mum. I still wear a facemask in any retail outlet and to honest avoid crowded situations etc. No reaction to third jab apart from sore arm

I still wear a mask at work but am one of the few that do, it's my choice like it is theirs to not wear one. A couple of customers have specifically waited to use my till or talk to me on shop floor because I was wearing a mask and they felt vunerable so that's made it worth while for me to be honest.

How is covid still impacting you or are things more back to normal now where you are?
Life isnt normal at all. We remain locked down except for outside exercise and going to the yard once a week where no one wears masks. All our food is delivered and shopping done on line. So we have lost our pleasures of going to the theatre and foreign travel.
We have started to go to lunch with friends or invite friends here who have now been vaccinated and boosted. Socially distanced.
It is our choice. Some friends have been abroad but we have not.

What has gone is the worry. Thanks to vaccination.
What has changed is the nervousness of delivery men. They now do keep their distance.

And our family are all still uncertain whether or not to meet at Christmas and New Year. We have 2 grandchildren still at school. Both keen on sports so still meeting teams outside school. We have 2 at uni and one AWOL in Germany.

I wear a mask and no matter where I go.
I don't see that changing for me in the near future.
I try to go places when they are quiet and much less crowded.
Some stores here workers are required to wear masks some are not.
A few stores say masks are mandatory for shoppers... not that many..
Some say masks RECOMMENDED.
honesty why even bother with that sign..
Not that I'm at that many places but I have noticed many more people with masks.
Passing by restraunts etc they seem to be jam packed everywhere like NOTHING IS GOING ON. LINES UPON LINES TO GET
IN NO MASKS IN SIGHT.
I only get take out.
We have instituted no fly from certain African countries starting Monday.

So what do we think will happen at Christmas? I fear that there'll be another last minute lockdown like last year, the whole thing feels like deja vu with the only real difference being the name of the variant.

Reactions: Jessey
Its been getting out of control again before this new variant.

There have been lots of big spikes and schools have been shut down back to
Distance learning for a week or 2 at a time.

No one wants to be careful anymore.

Schools are supposed to be masked indoors..

This is really a little beyond creepy...
A huge homecoming dance showed the principal and all the kids...NOT A MASK IN SIGHT.

THAT CAUSED A HUGE SPIKE ..most if not all were vaccinated so they..all think
PARTY ON life as normal footloose and carefree..
The school had to shut and go to remote learning..
The principal was removed for ignoring masks...WERE REQUIRED.
The parents were against the school in favor of the principal.
He wasn't reinstated.
Hmmm he dropped dead of a heart attack
yesterday.

Caution seems to have totally been thrown out the window.

I'm not letting up being cautious and I have no problem telling someone to back off out of my space.

They look at you like your insane
Its ALL DONE .. with an
I'm VAX so I can do ANYTHING I WANT
attitude.

This might not be a popular view but I don’t agree with masks in schools. Kids don’t wear them properly anyway, are always touching their faces and taking them on and off. They are distressing for kids to wear and cause real problems in communication. Covid can’t be stopped, it is a nasty virus that is here to stay. The only way to avoid it is to self isolate and keep away from everyone. Masks may make people feel protected but in my opinion they do more harm than good.

Reactions: carthorse
I see people in stores that are unmasked....
Licking their finger to open a plastic bag to put the tomatoes in.
Then going over touching some other
Veges etc. etc. The same thing with the next plastic bag.
Its disgusting.
Wearing masks stops a lot of that.

Lol you would be very popular over here
Thinking kids should not wear them in schools.

There are signs in lots of yards.
Unmask our children.

I think they should but I don't have kids to have to try to get them to wear them..
And properly.

So what do we think will happen at Christmas? I fear that there'll be another last minute lockdown like last year, the whole thing feels like deja vu with the only real difference being the name of the variant.
I have that Deja Vu feeling too, I'd hazard a bet though that they won't cancel Christmas again, but the chaos will begin right after.

newrider.com