Cooler Rugs

Crunchie&Kim

Crunchie&Kim
Aug 31, 2007
Bath, England
Hi All,

My NF X TB is getting his winter coat and is getting sweaty on his neck/chest and under his girth by not doing a lot a lot work.

Summary: he lives out all year round. Not currently rugged although he will be when the temperature drops. We have no stables.

My concern is ince he is rugged I ride him in the winter, bring him in, he is sweaty and I cant turn him out for hours with his rug on because I need to wait for him to dry.

My question is, how good realyl are cooling rugs and if i were to buy one and put him on him in the yard, how long would it take for him to be cooled down enough before his light weight can be put back on???

Other option would be to clip (just a bib) but then I really will have to rug and probably with more than a light weight!

Any advise would be greatly received!

I always turn Joy straight out after work. I do tend to walk her for the last 10 to give her a chance to cool down a bit then it is straight out with her. She can walk around to keep warm if she needs to and after all, that is exactly what you do at the end of exercise :)

The only time I would bother with a cooler rug is if she has to be tied up or stabled after getting hot and sweaty.

If you are really stuck, and want to avoid clipping Turn out with the cooler underneath, and remove later on x I think in the long run will be easier for you if you just have a small clip, especially as the hoss gets hairyer!

i was going to sugest that ^^ earlier but thats when i got the call about the chain harrow vs jr incident!

was also going to say that those coolmasta rugs and the thermatex ones are supposed to be very good. its worth a look on equestrian clearance warehouse to see whats on offer ;)

A good 'wicking' cooler is fab. Remember he won't sweat that much when clipped. Usually 20 or 30 minutes in a cooler is plenty and you may not need that. Just make sure that your turnout is breathable.

newrider.com