Companion ideas

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
It's nearly time to bring Raf home. The stables are ready, the grass (2 acres) isn't exactly lush but it's ok. We're going on our holidays shortly so will be bringing him back after that.

The fly in the ointment is the companion situation. We lost old Jack a little while ago so I need a new friend for Raf.

I was originally thinking of a little older section A or similar that my grandchildren (so far I only have 1 and he's 11 months old!) could be led about on. But then Raf went lame and was diagnosed with bilateral hindlimb PSD. He had both suspensories medicated and I've followed the 6 week rehab plan prescribed by the vet. But as everything I've read about PSD is very negative in my head I had been making plans for the new horse to be a riding horse and Raf to be slowed down/retired.

However yesterday I took him for the 6 week check and although I knew he'd been sound hacking I really expected that when they gave him a good workout on the lunge he'd show some lameness again ... but he didn't! The vet said if she was vetting him she'd pass him as sound and there's not many 16 year old horses she could do that with. She scanned him again and you can clearly see that the inflammation has gone down. Amazing news, I was so happy I could have cried.

But back to the companion issue - I don't want two ridden horses, I love riding my Raf and don't really have any interest in riding another. I don't even really want the work another horse would bring to be totally honest. However realistically I know that Raf can't go on forever, PSD is progressive and he will most likely have to have 6 monthly treatments.

So options are get an oldie for the yet to materialise grandchildren and accept that my riding days are limited (third horse not a realistic option), get a youngster that I will have broken at the yard where I am currently on livery so hopefully ready to take over when Raf retires, or (bit of a curveball) get a couple of goats.

I'm not at all sure about goats, having done a bit of research. I'm liking the idea of a youngster but I'm 59 so not sure if it's a stupid idea to go riding baby horses, plus who knows whether it will be suitable for me when it gets to the riding stage. Also I wouldn't be able to guarantee a home for life because I'm too old.

Also OH announced last night that if new horse was big enough he might like to ride again šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø Which rules out another Arab and I dont want a big bargy baby horse!

Decisions, decisions...

Reactions: Jessey
Itā€™s so hard, you could end up like me with more than you really need! If you get caught short Iā€™d let Hank go out on loan lol

I'd go for the youngster option. probably looking at a 2yo. If the temperament is right, and by the time you're ready to back you'll know, then I wouldn't say a baby is really any worse than an older horse that may have a less than ideal history and it's hardly like you're a novice rider. If you can get someone to do the initial riding away then so much the better, and if it doesn't work for you then you can sell on a nicely started youngster. Ideally the youngster would then ne starting to increase work as Raf was starting to wind down a bit so the timing could work well. What type of youngster depends on whether your OH is really serious about riding a youngster in the future or is just making noises and nothing will come of it, but I will say there's no need for a big baby horse to be bargy - size doesn't mean they can't have manners!

The problem with ponies as companions is that they often don't have the same needs as the horse they're companions to. I don't know if this would be a problem for you but it's something to seriously consider.

It can be as big a deal finding a companion horse as to find a riding horse, lol.

I just went thru this when I lost my precious Joker in February. It left my 28 yr old TWH ā€œthe last man standingā€. I came close to leaving him alone but changed my mind after I saw him standing at the OPEN gate into Jokerā€™s pasture, whinnying for Joker; Rusty could go thru but wouldnā€™t.

I have bought and paid for my own horses for 60+ years ā€” training or finishing almost all of them. I learned that, at 75 and using a cane, I did not need the little 14H cutie at the rescue who just about jerked the handlerā€™s rotator cuff out of her shoulder when we were checking his teeth. Bless his very nervous self, I realized I no longer needed to bring someone elseā€™s problem horse home and fix it. I had driven 5-1/2 hours to the rescue to learn that about myself.

In the end, thru happenstance, I learned of a fairly new horse retirement home right in my own county. They were full and had a waiting list of horses so I contacted them and thatā€™s how I ended up with the 17H Dutch Warmblood who was shipped 2,100 miles to my farm for permanent retirement. 26 yr old Duncan couldnā€™t be anymore perfect. His manners are impeccable, except when handling his leg with the old fractured splint bone.

Duncan has great heart & ethics like all of my Keeper horses have had. My brother stands on the premise that ā€there are no coincidencesā€, that Duncan was waiting to show himself.. So donā€™t be in too big a hurry to find a companion but put the word out as to what you are looking for, generally speaking.

Far as riding horse for OH? Bleh- were it me, that would be at the bottom of the list since it sounds as if OH hasnā€™t ridden in a very long time. I banned DH from riding my horses clear back in 2002 when my now 28 yr old saved his bacon TWICE on two different rides and DH tried to throw Rusty under the bus instead of owning upto his own stupidity. After we retired to where we now live, DH tried to worm his way back in the saddle and I said ā€œno dice. I never want to see a set of reins in your hands because you donā€™t listen and your only horsepower experience is your race car.ā€

I said all that to say, there are a lot of ā€œMature, been there done thatā€ horses who will be needing rehomed with the cost of everything skyrocketing. You are in a position to take one in and give it a forever home.

My hope for you is that the perfect companion horse drops in your lap like Duncan did with me. Duncan is not rideable but I canā€™t ride anymore, anyway, so its a win-win for me.

I love my Tennessee Walkers, but in my case, I was not going to be picky about breed. My only die hard requirement was it had to be a gelding. So I went from nixing a cute little 14H fella at the rescue to accepting a gorgeous 17H Dutch Warmblood who is a retired show jumper with great heart, ethics, intelligence and deserved a soft forever landing for his years of faithful service until he could no longer do his job and became disposable.

Put the word out, sit back, and hopefully you wonā€™t have to wait too long.

P.S. No goats, lollol. My fence neighbor has goats and we quickly decided they need to stay on their own side of the special fencing they have to have to keep them inšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. I adore them but on my 24+ acres, they would not know how to stay out of trouble ā€” or even stay homešŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I am so sorry for the bookšŸ˜ØšŸ˜Ø It wasnā€™t my intent. Thatā€™s what happens when I try to explain something šŸ„“šŸ„“

Last edited:
I would look at putting you and Raf first.
Personally, I wouldn't want a baby youngster again. I would pop to the other end of the scale and go older.
You could loan a companion, but get that companion with both of you in mind. I wouldn't really want something that maybe the grandchild (children) could ride, unless I could, that's something that may or may not happen and even lead reins need some work to stay safe lead reins.

Mine has spring and summer company, if that didn't work out I could get her a little buddy. But it's double the work, and she's not been fussed.

Itā€™s so hard, you could end up like me with more than you really need! If you get caught short Iā€™d let Hank go out on loan lol
Haha thank you. Whilst I would love Hank, who is totally adorable, I think you've posted too much about his antics to tempt me!
I'd go for the youngster option. probably looking at a 2yo. If the temperament is right, and by the time you're ready to back you'll know

The problem with ponies as companions is that they often don't have the same needs as the horse they're companions to. I don't know if this would be a problem for you but it's something to seriously consider.
That makes perfect sense actually. And yes I could sell it I suppose. I'm just a bit unsure because although you kindly say I'm not a novice, my experience has been pretty much limited to one very easy horse. The yard I'm on at the moment offer a breaking service and that's where it would go when the time came. I was thinking Arab but now OH has thrown a spanner in the works I'm wondering about an Iberian baroque type. The reason he gave up riding Jack was because the movement hurt his back so I want a giant Arab really and I thought an Iberian might be the closest match. Needs more thought ...

Good point about the ponies too. I'd hate to have to restrict grazing and muzzle etc, not that we've got a lot of grass yet!

@Lollykay that story about Rusty looking for Joker is heartbreaking šŸ˜¢ I'm glad you found Duncan and I'm inclined to agree with your brother that it was meant to be. I'd actually love my OH to start riding again, he just didn't enjoy it because of his bad back. He's lost weight and got fitter since though so might feel better now. He also loves Raf but didn't feel the same about Jack, I think he just gets on with the Arab personality better, as do I.

You and @newforest seem to be of the same opinion that an oldie would be better, but the trouble is that I don't want to give up riding any time soon. If Raf has to give up being ridden in a couple of years that would be my riding career over, as I'd have two retirees and no room for another. If I had a massive field and loads of money I'd fill it with golden oldies that no-one else wanted and just have the one horse for me! And a lot of poo picking to do šŸ’©

Reactions: Jessey and Lollykay
@Bodshi yes, if you are able to ride DO keep ridingšŸ‘šŸ˜ƒšŸ‘. Thereā€™s a lady on another forum who is close to 80 that not only still rides, but walks out to clear trails after the winteršŸ˜. She also rides English and did very well in some sort of virtual test when Covid19 had the entire world on lockdown.

I have a lot of trauma from old horse & snowmobile ā€œincidentsā€œ, lollol. It has really taken its toll thru the years. I used to re-school horses nobody else would go near, then find them good homes with trail riders. There were times when I really did bite off more than I could chewšŸ¤ÆšŸ¤Æ

Perhaps look for a horse in its early-to-late teens that someone can no longer afford to keep, or the teenager has gone off to college and the parents donā€™t want to keep the horse. That would still give you a horse with ten good years of riding, if itā€™s in good healthšŸ˜ƒ

They are out there - itā€™s the where and the when. OH may even unwittingly know someone who knows someone that can point you in the right direction.
šŸ˜‡šŸ˜‡

Reactions: Bodshi
My first thought is to get another youngish ridden horse, but one that doesn't need to be worked everyday. Having had my world torn apart by the loss of Ben, I would love to 'future proof' this by having two ridden horses so if I lost one I would always have the other. I also think that you need to think realistically about Rafs PSD. I'm so pleased that he trotted up sound now, but realistically you need to think about how long this might be for? At 16, with a progressive diagnosis it is inevitable that lameness is going to start creeping in sooner or later.

Taking on an older horse of around ten won't mean your riding career is over. It hopefully means something uncomplicated you can enjoy.

Having had two babies and done all the work, from a personal point of view, I just know I don't want to put in those years again. Though I would hopefully find those described as straight forward and not opinionated!

If Raf stays paddock sound it doesn't mean he can't set foot outside the field. It's good for the non ridden to still do something from a fitness, metabolic, mental health point of view.
There are plenty of inhand competitions these days to keep both brains active and something to do.

If you get a second as his companion, you need to think how well that role can exchange if you plan on him being the companion at some point.
Can you ride and lead, will one stay behind. If you take on a second, will Raf get upset?

@newforest and @Mary Poppins she doesn't really want one to ride alongside Raf while he's good though, a riding horse is for when he can't do much. Yes PSD is degenerative but with careful management and luck some go on for ages and Raf's scans were very positive and so she'd rather spend time riding him rather than another, something I'm sure we all understand.

@Bodshi I'm in my 50's, though not 59, and last year I took on what I consider to be riskier than a youngster and that was a mature horse that had been messed around and lost trust. The speed and strength that I've lost a bit of is more than made up for with experience, self assurance and patience and I'm sure you'd find the same with a nice youngster.

I can see why it's a fly in the ointment.
It's a difficult choice.
I may stay safe and loan a little suitable pony and see what happens until it does?
Ps I love horse shopping

Last edited:
@newforest I thought I did until I was actually looking for me and then I realised I hated it, really hated it - to say sellers lie is putting it mildly and it became disheartening. Luckily Luka turned up for me, but if he hadn't I was seriously considering going back down the buying a nice 2 or 3 year old route rather than paying a fortune for a riding horse that wasn't really what I wanted.

@newforest I thought I did until I was actually looking for me and then I realised I hated it, really hated it - to say sellers lie is putting it mildly and it became disheartening. Luckily Luka turned up for me, but if he hadn't I was seriously considering going back down the buying a nice 2 or 3 year old route rather than paying a fortune for a riding horse that wasn't really what I wanted.
Maybe I should add that I like looking at the adverts and passing on the info.
Not the actual process.
I looked at five before I got on the one I actually bought.
I won't waste sellers time, but they do annoy me.
I am straight forward. If a horse has an issue, tell me, I will accept it or not.

Thank you all, I'm so pleased that no-one has said I ought to think about giving up at my age!

Yes you're right @carthorse, I don't want two horses to ride. And I am hoping that Raf stays sound enough to ride for a little while longer.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting a 2 or 3 year old. I hear what you're saying @newforest but I wouldn't be doing the starting under saddle myself. Raf was only just 4 and only just broken when I got him, although, unlike feisty Tilley, he was a very kind and easy horse. The biggest 'baby' issue was that I had to micro manage the steering as he was unable to walk in a straight line without direction. That's why I wonder if I should just stick to Arabs (not because of the steering, I mean because they're easy). I actually enquired about one yesterday, she's totally unsuitable and at the other end of the country but I am so drawn to her. Anyway I wanted to know if they had an idea what height she'd make and both parents are under 15 hands so think she will be too small

So I'm looking for a tall and/or sturdy Arab, not bred for showing and not with an extreme dished face, just a little bit of a dish, as nature intended. Or a baroque type Iberian that OH might be able to ride one day. No 4/5 year olds doing dressage to a high standard already, I'm sure that can't be good for their joints.

It seems to be very difficult to find 2/3 year olds, I suppose a breeder will sell at weaning or keep and back themselves.

Oh and did I mention I would really like chestnut or bay? I expect I'll end up with grey though.

Reactions: carthorse
Thank you all, I'm so pleased that no-one has said I ought to think about giving up at my age!

Yes you're right @carthorse, I don't want two horses to ride. And I am hoping that Raf stays sound enough to ride for a little while longer.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting a 2 or 3 year old. I hear what you're saying @newforest but I wouldn't be doing the starting under saddle myself. Raf was only just 4 and only just broken when I got him, although, unlike feisty Tilley, he was a very kind and easy horse. The biggest 'baby' issue was that I had to micro manage the steering as he was unable to walk in a straight line without direction. That's why I wonder if I should just stick to Arabs (not because of the steering, I mean because they're easy). I actually enquired about one yesterday, she's totally unsuitable and at the other end of the country but I am so drawn to her. Anyway I wanted to know if they had an idea what height she'd make and both parents are under 15 hands so think she will be too small

So I'm looking for a tall and/or sturdy Arab, not bred for showing and not with an extreme dished face, just a little bit of a dish, as nature intended. Or a baroque type Iberian that OH might be able to ride one day. No 4/5 year olds doing dressage to a high standard already, I'm sure that can't be good for their joints.

It seems to be very difficult to find 2/3 year olds, I suppose a breeder will sell at weaning or keep and back themselves.

Oh and did I mention I would really like chestnut or bay? I expect I'll end up with grey though.

Thank you @newforest ! OK, to help you refine your search, I'm not keen on the Straight Egyptians, I don't like the head shape and they tend to be very slight. I'm more of a Crabbet person. I know it's hard to tell from pictures but that little mare doesn't look 15.2. I love the chestnut, although they haven't shown his profile or his legs, which seems rather odd to me. I have pondered over his advert and if he had been closer I would definitely enquired about him. Cornwall from Yorkshire would involve an overnight stay, which I'm well up for, but I'd have to be really keen. Also, both those horses have been for sale for a while now and with the horse market being how it is at the moment I'd wonder why they haven't sole, if they're really still for sale.

Well done on the colour though šŸ˜

Reactions: carthorse
Thank you @newforest ! OK, to help you refine your search, I'm not keen on the Straight Egyptians, I don't like the head shape and they tend to be very slight. I'm more of a Crabbet person. I know it's hard to tell from pictures but that little mare doesn't look 15.2. I love the chestnut, although they haven't shown his profile or his legs, which seems rather odd to me. I have pondered over his advert and if he had been closer I would definitely enquired about him. Cornwall from Yorkshire would involve an overnight stay, which I'm well up for, but I'd have to be really keen. Also, both those horses have been for sale for a while now and with the horse market being how it is at the moment I'd wonder why they haven't sole, if they're really still for sale.

Well done on the colour though šŸ˜
Ah Crabbett, yes know that, few around here.
I confess I just picked the colours šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Omg you have excelled yourself here @newforest. I love both Sarah Howard's colts. I thought I liked the chestnut, although I thought he plaited a bit in front, but nothing that worries me. But then I saw the grey and I liked him even more ... why oh why do I like a grey more? Very tempted to enquire further, trying to be realistic, about to go on holiday, probably will be sold before we get back, millions of miles away and both POA which probably means squillions of dollars ... off to Google breeding ...

If you know the type you like and you're looking at youngsters then try contacting breeders directly if you know they produce the type you like. Even if they don't have what you want they may know someone who has.

newrider.com