Compagel and adverse effects?

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I’m coming to the conclusion that compagel is not helping the leg and in fact maybe making it not go down. He produced some scab on the inside of the leg, so I stopped using for a couple of days. Vet then saw leg and said to continue to use while fetlock is swollen. So I have avoided the scabby areas as the swollen area is not where the scans are. Last night I washed it all off and didn’t reapply. It is meant to be twice a day. Swelling reduced this morning. I have not applied this morning. Hhhmmmm.

I don't know anything about it or what it's meant to do. If you think it's causing a problem though I'd speak to the vet again, say you're quite sure it's causing a problem and ask if there's any alternative product. It probably isn't a problem with the product but that he has a sensitivity to it - completely unrelated but I couldn't put Sudocreme on Jim because his skin would peel off like bad sunburn, it was simply he was sensitive to an ingredient.

I agree, it’s not an issue with the product just he is sensitive to something in it. This is the second tube. Or something about the massaging it in. He is also on oral anti inflammatories so will just stick with them.

It’s known for commonly causing pretty bad skin irritation, I was given it for Jess when she had an odd swelling but I refused to use it because she’s sensitive to so many things it would no doubt have caused her problems. I think that’s when my vet gave me a DSMO and Steroid topical roll on that they make up in house, it worked very well. I also iced the leg daily.

Leg has been iced twice a day in ice vibe boots for 4 weeks. Vet said pointless to keep doing now as there is no heat. (Unless I wanted too and it made me feel better 😂). The only skin irritation was 3 very small scabs which have resolved now. I still think there is something he is reacting to tho as leg was almost normal this morning. So I know for the future not to use again.

Reactions: Jessey
Compagel worked fantastically well when Ben developed splints on his front legs. It really cooled and soothed the area because the splints were very hot and inflamed. I don’t remember the vet mentioning side effects but perhaps as Ben was never allergic to anything I didn’t listen if he did.

Yep may have sensitive skin. Even i reacted to bio oil. But then if you read some of the internet reviews for bio oil, you might not want to use it.

It dosnt suit me either but the vet suggested it. So rather than checking first I bought a big bottle.

newrider.com