Clothing on hacks?!

Befff*

Jan 7, 2009
It's something that really annoys me, snobby girls on event horses (no offence anyone!) hacking out in blazers and cream jodphurs on a Sunday morning hair french plaited, looking down on me and my (very hairy) gypsy ponies. :mad:

Does anyone else just shove on the closest pair of semi clean jodphurs and a hoodie and hi-viz and go? Or am I dragging the rest of us down?!
:D

xo

EDIT: I was in a severe bad mood when writing this after some inconsderate riders galloped straight past me when Pheobe was obviously having a tantrum and trying to get me off ¬_¬ Moreover, I tried to get dressed up for hacking, and really could not be bothered today ;D

Last edited:
as long as i have on my hat (just splashed out on a new one so it is a bit flash :D) and ridng boots on, i dont care what i wear, in fact, i have several pairs of jods but much prefer to ride in jeans and half chaps....and a hoody, a jacket which is no doubt mud splattered and has horse slobber all over the pocket from dexter trying to figure out if i have food in there! i did even once get on in a rush after catching in a very muddy field and manage to get a line of mud right across draco's bum! there's no point wearing expensive, fancy clobber just to get it muddy, slobbered on etc!
maybe im just jealous my bum doesnt look so good in jods... :eek:

i dont care- if i could go out looking like i've just walked out of the house then i would, i like taking pride in my appearance, i dont get much chance with horses!

unfortunately, it doesnt happen like that- you get slobbered on, splashed in the mud, pour water down your legs, covered in straw and wipe your hands down your jods after making the feeds.

i find the "scruffy" ones more 'snobby' than the well turned out ones, atleast they are polite, well mannered and actually speak to you as you go past!

It's something that really annoys me, snobby girls on event horses (no offence anyone!) hacking out in blazers and cream jodphurs on a Sunday morning hair french plaited, looking down on me and my (very hairy) gypsy ponies. :mad:

Does anyone else just shove on the closest pair of semi clean jodphurs and a hoodie and hi-viz and go? Or am I dragging the rest of us down?!
:D

xo

None of that behaviour round here and we are in very "horsey" country! Practical clothing rules!

Oh god no, you sound like the spitting image of me when I am out riding. My thermal boots caked in mud, usually mud splatters all over me from cantering through the woods and jods with Bertie's slobber on them - he loves to slobber on me bless him, its a sign of affection :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry in the real world of day to day hacking out, looking your best isn't a priority having fun and spending time with your horse definitely is :D

Well, in the winter I tend to hack out looking like the mitchelin man so I doubt I look my best! ;) :D

Er - how do you KNOW that these girls are snobby? How do you KNOW that thy are looking down on you?

Have they told you this?

Or is it just an assumption from the way they dress and do their hair?

i french plait my hair and wear a velvet CO hat- super bitch coming through :p

seriously, common as muck, spades a spade type of person.

i do like to look nice though!
dont like beige jodphurs (so 90's darling) get some banana legs :p
obviously they will have to look down, if your at a lower level in order to make eye contact and polite chit-chat.

Last edited:
i try to look smart when i hack out - cleanish jods, smart boots etc and i make sure my horse is virtually spotless :p but when i hack out with my mum she's on her lil pony who's hairy and 'scruffy' , and i'm up on my showjumper so i have to look down at her :D lol but i don't care what we look like as long as we have fun :D

I wouldn't wear a hacking jacket to hack in but I usually look smart hacking out :eek: I'm not at all snobby though.. I just like to look smart.

Stanny is usually clean and groomed, my tack is always clean (is wiped off every time I ride if sweaty ride or if not sweaty every other use) and in this cold weather he wears a smart exercise sheet. I ride in jodhs (no particular colour - whatever is clean) and usually some sort of complimenting (not matching!) top/body warmer/jacket plus my HiViz (not that HiViz matches anything at all :rolleyes:)

Life's too short - I have little enough time to ride as it is - I'm not going to spend half of it getting me and my horse looking pristine to hack out - we end up covered in mud spatters anyway!

So long as I have my hat, hi-viz jacket and sensible footwear on, that will do for me. Apart from my show jods, i only own one other pair of jods. Tia has the mud knocked off where her tack goes if she has been out beforehand. if I ride first thing she will be relatively clean cos she has a good groom when she comes in at night.

Slightly OT, but how does one french plait their own hair?! I can only just do it when I can see what I am doing!

Can we have a tutorial please?!

Back On Topic ;) I must admit to trying to look a bit nice, as we have a lot of walkers round, and I want them to think me and her look pretty (well her anyway!) as it may detract their attention from the fact we are jogging off in a rather uncontrolled manor...beige jods would never work on me tho, I have some for dressage (if we ever get there) on the condition I bought over trousers to keep them clean until right before we go in the arena :eek:

cant explain, can just do it

got to have good co-ordination, grippy finger that go where you want, when you say :p

practise makes perfect :D

newrider.com