clicker training

maypole101

Oct 24, 2008
somerset
hello all,
has anyone ever done clicker training with their horse/pony?
as you may know my horse injured me a while ago, so whilst i'm not riding i've started with the old clicker!!!
he knows about touching an object and will chase said object around the stable, but i'm not sure where to go from here?
should i be aiming at something, like loading into a trailer, standing still etc.
or is it ok just to use it to occupy his brain cells for a few minutes a day?
we do have some ( a lot ) of issues so i was wondering if i could use clicker training to help?
please advise, slightly stuck!!!
thanks xx

Hi :)

I use clicker for everything from groundwork to ridden work :)

Next thing to do (if you haven't done it already) is to teach him not to mug. It's probably best to use a bum bag with the treats in for this. Actively encourage him to snuffle for treats, ignore the behaviour, when he stops then click and treat. It shouldn't take long for him to realise that the vending machine doesn't pay out when he's mugging but does when he stands nicely. You can even teach him to 'look away' if you want.

As to what you can teach ... loads of stuff.

You can teach 'tricks' (curtsey, bow, kiss, smile, cross legs), you can teach exercises (carrot stretches, jambette), you can teach him to copy you (you cross legs, he crosses legs), you can teach him to stay, come, back. The only limit is your imagination!

What sort of issues do you have as clicker can be a great benefit in sorting out issues?

thanks for quick reply!
he is very stressy, and also the top horse on a yard of 8, so he's constanely looking around, moving, having to see what " his horses " are up to.
so we have issues with:
standing still,
concentrating on what mother is doing!
loading,
puddles,
just generally being bolshy and rude.
he broke my ribs 3 weeks ago, so i'm trying this clicker training to try and re-build a bond, as i've lost my confidence in him and want to see what a good boy he can be, instead of panicing everytime he squashes me etc.
also i'm a stressy mum, so not sure if we are such a great combo!

I've just started clicker training too - fantastic response so far! My mare was terrified of the horsebox and now I can't lower the ramp without her wanting to go in. They catch on really quick and love the short lessons. Worked with the farrier on Monday too - she only got clicked and rewarded when she lifted her foot and waited until that hoof was done. It got to the point where she was lifting her hoof when the farrier was busy preparing the shoe and not anywhere near her - decided not to click for that as not asked and she soon learned (ie on that one session) that the farrier had to be standing by her leg and asking her to lift it that she go the treat. Her change of willingness was noted on by farrier! I missed a clicker training session yesterday and she went in the huff. Today we worked on lateral work from the ground and she was totally up for it, at liberty.
Try to find a quiet space for your boy to work without the herd.
Work over anchored down tarpolin in place of puddles to start - let him sniff it and stare for as long as he needs but click and treat any slight move towards accepting it.
Bolshyness - don't punish the bolshy but reward the giving you space. Also make sure you make him back up to receive his treat after the click.
Alexandra Kurland books are great - very visual and break everything down, step by step.
Have fun!

newrider.com