Chnage of bit for hacking - advice please!

Fabio's Filly!

Oct 30, 2008
Lincolnshire
Hi,

I'm now thinking of a change of bit for hacking as despite persevering with schooling etc, when hacking if he decides he wants to go its quite difficult to stop him! I have gone down the schooling route and also just time to see if he gets better but am now at the conclusion that i will need to change as i need to be in control!!!

At present i ride in a hanging cheek french link baucher, i'll stick with this for schooling as he's fine then. I'm not sure what to try him next for a bit more control? I don't want anything too severe but would appreciate any advice on what people would recommend?

Have posted this in the tack and saddlery section but i know more people are always in the Cafe area so sorry but just want to get more opinions so i can make a decision!

Hi,

I'm now thinking of a change of bit for hacking as despite persevering with schooling etc, when hacking if he decides he wants to go its quite difficult to stop him! I have gone down the schooling route and also just time to see if he gets better but am now at the conclusion that i will need to change as i need to be in control!!!

At present i ride in a hanging cheek%2

Last edited:
Before advising you on what bit to change to, what does your horse actually do when your brakes start to fail as such?

Thanks Ashlea - that sounds ideal!!!! I've been recommended to try a gag but i'm reluctant to as i think its too harsh, especially going from such a soft bit!

Basically he gets his head down so that when i try to stop - i can't!!! He is only 5 still so does try and get away with what he can!!! He's fine in the school though, just gets over excited out hacking, particularly in company. There aren't too many main roads near us but he is so clumsy and when he does 'go', i'm more worried he'll stumble and injure himself rather than run into the road. Either way though i need to have more control!

ok :D

Ive just been reading about where all the different bits fit in the mouth etc to provide different pressure points. The chainmouth sits in the gap between the teeth....but if youve had a thick bit in previously, and the horse has a small gap between his teeth, then the bit wouldnt have been providing pressure on the fleshy bit between the teeth - which is how he might be biting the bit and running (typical if he puts his head down as you described).....but what it does mean, is that the chain may sit in the gap, and you might get an "over-reaction" the first few times you use it because the horse wont be used to feeling any pressure there. It is still much softer than a thin bar bit, or a wire bit, but nevertheless, your horse wont be used to the sensation, so you need to be aware of that! It is supposed to be softer than the straightbar gag bit because the pressure is not always there (if the chain mouth bit is placed low in the mouth), but when it is needed, it is very effective. Otherwise, the bit just falls away in the mouth, and no pressure is there. The "o" ringed chain mouth will be more effective at stopping, but it uses a different motion to the gag, which means that the chain mouth is generally considered softer.

You can increase or decrease the severity of the bit depending on how high or low it is worn. Unlike other bits, I think the chainmouth should be bought slightly wider/bigger than the normal bit used (e.g a 6" chain mouth bit is needed, rather than a 5" straight gag). It doesnt wrinkle the sides of my horses mouth if you want it to be less severe....

ETA - The thicker the chain, the easier it is on the horse because the pressure is spread out more. The thinner the chain, the more severe the pressure is on the horse. The Waterford bit is slightly thinner than the chain mouth....and it also doesnt have as much give in it because the links and the "balls" dont "move" like they do in the chain mouth. Ive been told that the chainmouth is meant to be softer than a gag, but more severe than a straightbar snaffle. Again, severity can be adjusted if the chain mouth is ridden higher in the mouth, and with heavy hands.

Id look for one that was quite thick to begin with (but make sure its not too thick to fit in the fleshy gap between the horses teeth as he will find it easier to bite and run off again). Its worth using bit guards to stop pinching on the sides of the mouth too....

p.s. just seen some made out of bicycle chains....I dont like them - they really are far too severe, and are not allowed in most disciplines!
pps :D
here is an extract I found about the Waterford bit....thought it might be worth you having a read, but bare in mind that the chain mouth is supposed slightly less severe than the waterford...

"Why use a Waterford bit?
10 April, 2007

What is a Waterford?

The Waterford snaffle looks like a line of ball-and-chain link. It usually comes with plain loose snaffle rings although you can also buy Waterfords with full cheeks or gag-type rings.

It is a flexible bit that moulds round the horse's mouth, creating an even pressure. It is moveable in all directions and horses find it difficult to lean or take hold of it, giving the rider good levels of control.

Martyn Welsh, bitting expert at Equiport, adds: "Strong horses seem to accept the Waterford rather than a Pelham or curb-type bit as its action is broken when the horse goes to set its jaw. The bit is very loose in the horse's mouth so they seem to mouth more with this bit."

Who uses it?

Fiona Jonason, who is based with leading eventer Polly Stockton in Cheshire, is currently using a Waterford on her advanced ride Zinzan Tiger. Fiona initially rode Zinzan Tiger in a Waterford when he was a seven-year-old, before switching to a snaffle with a lozenge last year, but has now returned to using a Waterford.

"I did ride Zinzan Tiger in the Waterford last year, but only for schooling at home, as he can get quite strong," explains Fiona. "Through the winter, I've been riding him in a Waterford and because he's been jumping so well in it, I decided to leave it in for competition.

"The Waterford suits him because he's prone to cocking his jaw, but this bit stops him latching on to it."

Anyone else?

Other riders who have been spotted using a Waterford include show jumpers Liz Edgar and Nick Skelton. "

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horse-care-index/1370/115590.html?cid=1370&aid=115590

Last edited:
Ashlea - thanks for the extra info!!! You've convinced me that this is the way to go without ruining his mouth with an overly strong bit. I've just been looking through the Robo's & Shires catalogue but can only find the Waterford bits, not the chain mouth.

Any idea where i could get hold of one? I'm off to Olympia on friday so hopefully sell them there but just incase!!!!

Ashlea - thanks for the extra info!!! You've convinced me that this is the way to go without ruining his mouth with an overly strong bit. I've just been looking through the Robo's & Shires catalogue but can only find the Waterford bits, not the chain mouth.

Any idea where i could get hold of one? I'm off to Olympia on friday so hopefully sell them there but just incase!!!!

I have a brand new unused Waterford bit 5.5", I don't intend to use it if your interested? It cost £14.

Edit - sorry just read your post more carefully and you want a chain one! Oops, silly me.

Personally I would try something like a hanging cheek snaffle first rather than a gag. I wouldn't want to put anything much more than a snaffle on a youngster.

The Waterford did the trick with Spot a) he's not so heavy in the hand and b) it stops him setting his neck and napping. The Waterford isn't realy very harsh as such but can be nasty if you use it in a sawing motion. Would only recommend it though if u have quite steady hands so to avoid any sudden pulling.

Hi,

At present i ride in a hanging cheek%2

Oh no!!!
I tried to edit this yesturedy - to add more info...but somewhere along the line, it looks like I managed to delete ALL of my message!Im such a muppet!
How utterly annoying is that!:mad:

Anywho - I think you read it and got the jist, lol....Im so annoyed at myself for deleting it!

I remeber editing it to add more info...but I cant remember what was already there, so I cant rememeber what I was adding to it! I might have been editing to add that you need steady hands (as someone else has mentioned)....or I might have been showing the difference between the "o"ring chainmouth and the "gag" chainmouth - the "O" ring is obviously the softer one.......but I cant quite remmeber what I was doing.
Grr:rolleyes:

Sorry the pics of the chain mouth "O" ring and the chainmouth "gag" have been deleted.....Im still annoyed at myself for not being careful enough...I cant figure out how I must have done it!:confused:

lol! I actually went on again last night to show my OH the pictures of what you meant and thought i was doing something wrong as they weren't there!!!! I thought you'd deleted it cos you put the new post on!

I think i'll go for the waterford as i can't find the chainmouths anywhere online, unless anyone can suggest where i can get one?
Would be the O ring type i'd be after as don't want to use the gag type on him, think thats too strong.

lol! I actually went on again last night to show my OH the pictures of what you meant and thought i was doing something wrong as they weren't there!!!! I thought you'd deleted it cos you put the new post on!

I think i'll go for the waterford as i can't find the chainmouths anywhere online, unless anyone can suggest where i can get one?
Would be the O ring type i'd be after as don't want to use the gag type on him, think thats too strong.

lol, Im so sorry about that.
The lady who has my gelding on loan bought it....I'll see if I can find out where she got it from...I think she had to have it ordered in though....

TBH, If you have the waterford low, and you are gentle with the old hands, I dont see there being a huuuuge amount of difference between the two. I can post the pics again for you - will find them now :D

hello again! :D
This is one of the ones I posted originally :D
Chainbit.jpg

the one my gelding has is a bit softer still - the "links" are less pronounced, but they are chunkier, making it slightly softer in the mouth.

Will try and remember to where the bit is from next time I see my loaning lady :D

Thanks! I'm off for my last hack in the hanging cheek snaffle tomorrow, and will get a new bit at the weekend, Waterford is definitely the favourite now!

I know its kinda wrong but i'm sort of excited for him to try and go then think 'oh ****, she's back in control'!!!! :D (i'm not a bad mom really!!!!)

Thanks! I'm off for my last hack in the hanging cheek snaffle tomorrow, and will get a new bit at the weekend, Waterford is definitely the favourite now!

I know its kinda wrong but i'm sort of excited for him to try and go then think 'oh ****, she's back in control'!!!! :D (i'm not a bad mom really!!!!)

haha, I know the feeling exactly! I took the rugs off my horses and then spied on them hoping that without the rugs on, theyed get a HUUUGE zap from the fence and stop pushing it down!

They are too clever.

hahaha! I have also done that!!! This summer they kept poking their heads through the post and rail to the other paddock (where the grass was about 1/4 inch longer!) and ended up breaking a couple of slats. So the old leccy fence went back on!!!! No more broken fence after a belt on the nose!!!! He looked at me like it was me that had just done it!!! Was quite funny though. Maybe i am bad after all!! :p

Well! The new bit is bought!!! Unfortunately won't be able to try it out until Boxing Day as i'm at work (and giving him xmas day off!)

Have gone for......Waterford Hanging Cheek version. Didn't know they done these, thought it was just the loose ring or the gag version but came across it at Olympia and thought i'd try it as he's in a hanging cheek at the minute (albeit a french link which is milder!!!). My thoughts were that if he's used to the poll pressure from the hanging cheek, would going to a loose ring waterford be enough of a step up as i'd be dropping the poll pressure, but upping the control in the mouth, so maybe counteracting?? Maybe i'm wrong but i suppose at least it will give me a bit more control. I'm hoping that after using it a few times i'll be able to switch back anyway but will see how i go!!!!

newrider.com