Chest Cough, chinooks ill .... arena surface?

Nookster

Oct 21, 2002
My boy started to display a chesty cough when exercised at the weekend. He never coughs when exercised before so i knew he wasn't right and was concerned.

He was to have his vaccinations on thursday this week, but i called the vet out yesterday instead as i wanted him looked at straight away (hes my baby :eek: ). He has been prescribed antibiotics and a powder(can't remember name) but it is to ease the airways. Vet couldn't conclude why he had the chesty cough. Vet is due back in a week to see how he is, till then no exercise also.

He has no nasel discharge. Hes in great health apart from this cough. Still eating and drinking well. Looks bright and perky.

I assumed it might be from the wood burning chimeny which is near his turn out and the YO has sorted turn out for the week away from this.
This morning though I have heard of other horses and people that are having breathing difficulties. One factor that is the same is an arena that we have all been too and used on a regular occurence. The last time i was there some riders were riding with masks on, i thought it was just their asthma. My partner has refused to come back there as his asthma starts up badly too at the arena, his eyes and noses also run badly.

This I do feel is why chinook has this chesty cough. As no other things have changed in his environment apart from visiting here. I also coming to the conclusion as other horses are having the same problem as well as there riders.

Its a brand new arena and a new surface. Supposedly with the amount of ill horses and complaints they are doing something about it.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem? Chesty Coughs ? Allergic reactions?

Will the cough go in time?

my boy was weazing quite badly and coughing, vet came out and said dust allergy, I was told to try him on ventapaulin if he was still coughing at the end of the week, which he wasnt thankfully.
hes now on a naf resperiaise, rubber matting and no bedding, haylage and has a nose net, just to be on the safe side. He still coughs occasionally tho

ventapaulin - thats the stuff angel! Hes on 2 1/2 scoops twice a day for a week bless him

Hes on shavings and haylage and hay during day. He has never in his 16 yrs had a problem so i hope it is just the arena that hes allergic too but if not we will accomodate my baby with removing any dusty items.

We were told he might have to go to the bush (another word but its seen as rude :eek: ) vet for more scans (throat) if it doesn't clear

Last edited:
We had to get the vet out for Red last December for a chesty cough and shortness of breath etc. He was prescribed a weeks dose of ventapulmin and it worked the trick. If this does do the trick, then I highly recommend you buy some ventilate supplement! Its used in the same way as the powder, it's two scoops a day, and works just the same it just doesn't need to be prescribed :) xx

hi, some of the horses on my yard, including mine get a few coughs occasionally whilst we ride and/or in the stable - it clears up within a week and its over. if it hasn't gone by then, then we call the vets out (some vets have the habit of giving you stuff you don't need just encase i.e when lame you get bute and if your horse is still lame then you get a further inspection and if your lucky and explanation)

so i wouldnt worry, it sounds like you caught it straight away and acted fast so with that i'm sure he'll be fine!!;)

Our indoor is very dusty, and it can make me and the horses cough (and they get nasty runny black snot cause of where the dust goes in their noses) we just damp the surface regularly and only use it when we really have to :eek:

I feel like an over paranoid mum! :eek:

Its thursday and the coughs still here started on sunday and got antibitotics monday night in his dinner. Am i being silly an expecting it to shift quicker than it should?

I guess its not as long and deep coughs anymore. But he still has one. I guess also he only does it when say he had a drink or his dinner? maybe getting a tickle? and making him cough? :eek:

He is perky and happy though and eating well

Is the YO aware of the other people on the yard having the same problems? If people were wearing masks in the arena then really something should be sorted out.
Is the surface just dusty as it's new? How long has it been down?

Are you able to try cutting out his hay and just feeding haylage instead for a few days? Expensive I know! My horse started coughing when he came in for the winter, and I tried loads of things - he was on dust-free bedding anyway - the haylage was the only thing that seemed to do the trick. I know of a few horses that have had to go on to haylage this winter - don't know if it was a bad year for hay last year, or if I just had really bad luck with hay suppliers!!

we have haylage and have been keeping him on this the past week with grass but sadly no change

The areana owners know. They haven't answered any of my querys though......
I was told they were either watering the surface down or changing it but can't confirm what they are doing:confused:

newrider.com