Cheaper saddles preferably adjustable ideas?

ponylover88

Jul 12, 2004
I've currently got an W/XW barnsby omega GP sat on my 3yo but appreciate as she changes and grows that it's not going to fit forever.

Has anyone got any suggestions for cheap saddles (up to £6-700) which are either adjustable via gullet or saddler (I was contemplating a barnsby I tree before they went bust) which fit similarly to barnsby - flatish back, small withers and A framed shoulders.

Well as you know or maybe not, I am treeless. This came about from a lack of decent saddler in my area. I also back then had a three year old and on trying one he stopped his bucking.
I admit they are not for everyone, but you can get a dressage and more conventional these days well within your budget. As the horse changes shape you tweak the pad which is your flocking. Some do come with fitters.

Treed saddles though I do like the Kent and Masters and if I wanted to try one it would be this one.

I tried a treeless a few years back on Gem and felt very unstable, it was a traditional treeless type, I haven't tried one since. As of next year I plan on attempting jumping small fences and increasing it as she turns 5 with an aim to jumping BE90/ british novice sort of height if she's suitable.

Treeless worries me again from the lack of understanding - they still need fitting really, but trying to find a fitter is nigh on impossible with knowledge of a range. I quite like the look of the flexee dressage saddle but think the GP doesn't look quite as nice quality wise somehow.

I think adjustable is as fraught as fixed treed, but I do know that Poohsmate recommends Saddle Company saddles which are adjustable but on a machine, rather than by a wither gullet system, which I think is probably better as it would adjust the gullet all the way down, rather than just the wither.

Reactions: newforest
The wither gullet only saddles can work in certain cases but it won't alter the back two thirds of your saddle. Your bearing panels may still not be right for the horse.
It won't change the tree shape.
Anyway we are off the scale for the xwide wintec it won't go wide enough at the front. There are cobs and then there is my cob :)

I looooooovvvveeeeee my saddle company. They are injection moulded and can be altered in the back of a van there and then. Can be picked up 2nd hand quite reasonably if you have a good look about

Eta just seen your budget. My brand new top of the range saddle company only cost 800 so you have a pretty decent budget to work with there :)

I quite like the look of the flexee dressage saddle but think the GP doesn't look quite as nice quality wise somehow.

I would hold off a bit on that. The older model with the moveable panels is causing people concerns.
It sinks basically!
The new model has already come out and again that worries me that you need to "bring out another" so soon after launching the first one.
People are shimming/padding the front-a bit like you do for a treeless. Its now being marketed as "not a treed saddle and not to be treated as such" and comes in one size.
The synthetic version is to be discontinued.

Reactions: poohsmate
Another vote for the saddle co, I've had one of mine for 13 years and it's been through multiply horses and shape changes and I still love it. Yes I've had problems of late but that's more to do with my pony, me and the lack of a good fitter around here, I've never had a problem before.

I would hold off a bit on that. The older model with the moveable panels is causing people concerns.
It sinks basically!
The new model has already come out and again that worries me that you need to "bring out another" so soon after launching the first one.
People are shimming/padding the front-a bit like you do for a treeless. Its now being marketed as "not a treed saddle and not to be treated as such" and comes in one size.
The synthetic version is to be discontinued.
Excellent thanks, I will definitely scrap that idea then!

I will look into saddle company saddles, how many times can they be adjusted safely without weakening the tree?

newrider.com