Cheap 7.5t or trailer?

pepsimaxrock

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
What do you think?

I have been thinking about this for awhile and whilst I need my own transport next year Im torn between getting a (shared) 7.5t lorry with a (v good) friend or a newish traileron my own..

I can easily pull trailer and pony with my car. But after accident bit nervous. Friends horse is much too big to go In Trailer and is nit a good loader.

We could probs pay for a v cheap 7.5 t or I could buy a decent trailer and leave friend behind hmmm

Not interested in 3.5 t at all

Thanks for your responses and I so agree. I know a lorry would be so much better, its just I can afford a new or nearly new trailer and only, even with a share, a v v cheap 7.5t.

Its just whether a cheap 7.5t will be ok, compared to a new trailer.

A.x

Depends how cheap you mean..there are some reliable boxes suitable for localish use around for about £4000....One we sold 10 years ago for that is still in daily use by our neighbour!!

Bear in mind if sharing it you will both need licences (or Grandfather rights!), the lorry will need tax and insurance and to be maintained and tested every year. It works for us economically as instead of running a 4x4 Discovery we now run a small cheap car ...not sure how you will deal with this if sharing?

Yes, can be true. Although, I had an 82 Cargo and it stood on the drive for months in between being started and driven. It always went first go and didn't cost me more than the price of a marker lamp bulb in three MoTs! I tried to sell it and nobody wanted it so I had to scrap it in the end. Others that were never used more than once a month were a Dodge Commando and a Roadrunner. All never cost me anything to put through their MoTs. I've got an 03 truck now and I reckon it costs me £200 every time I need to start it. Something goes wrong or breaks whenever I use the bloomin thing.

Cheap boxes can cost a fortune to run. They hate standing idle.

Cheap boxes can cost a fortune to run. They hate standing idle.

exactly my fear. summer use is likely to be weekly, winter use probably monthly.

And budget, probs max 9k... But may well end up with the trailer.

Regarding licences - I think, as a 1974:eek::eek::eek: test passer I have grandfather rights but my friend passed after 97 - she was well into adulthood before learning to drive. What sort of licence would she need?

Yep, insurance, servicing, tests will all be built into budget, we will probably stash an amount monthly to cover it.

Thanks for all your help and any more info v v welcome.

A. x

Oh and cars - friend has a company car - lovely new bm 4x4; i bought a fairly dated but seemingly reliable xtrail last year which will pull the trailer. If we get a lorry i will still run the xtrail but when it comes to change cars will go for something smaller, little vw probs.

I am hoping that if we stick enough each into an account to manage the lorry we will be ok.

but big issue currently - we have got to get friends horse to load!! she is a former grade b showjumper so has been all over the place, but has been onsite for a v long time and has refused to get onto a lorry or trailer recently!!.

thanks for all replies, will keep you posted. pleased to hear any more views though.

A. x

I regularly hire a box (3.5t) brand new fleet and love them, why are u so opposed to them ( out of interest)

I find the fuel economy awesome! And the boxes nippy and comfortable,

I agree though if I was purchasing I would like a 7.5t for extra space etc, but I couldn't really warrant the cost for what I use it for so I just hire.

Good luck in your search and I hope u find a gooden !! I'm very jealous lol !

Hi my first concern over a 3.5t is that the payload is often tiny so no bigger than a trailer. It is unlikely to carry my friends 17hh 700kg horse and my pony together. Add people water tack and there is a problem. I wouldn't consider this combination in a trailer.
They are often higher sided and at least as unstable as a trailer. They usually are side loading which I don't want as having overturned a trailer on to its side I would not want the horses escape route blocked.
They seem expensive in comparison as anyone can drive them.
Maybe all these points can be countered and I probs have only looked at the negatives but I would not be able to share a 3.5t so can't afford it. My choices are therefore cheap 7.5t or trailer.
Thanks for your good wishes though x

Yes that is a concern. And we are v good friends. I'd like it to stay that way too.

We had good friends move in as lodgers into our first home. Things didn't work out.

My personal prefference is to be as self sufficient as possible, especially where £9,000 is concerned. :redface:

Ahh that's true about the weight with horses that big !, But I do find them safer then towing I did alot of runs up and down the country as far as Scotland and certainly felt more secure than if I had a trailer. Your accident towing sounds horrendous can understand your nerves :(
Given that I would probabley go for the 7.5t having the 17hh!
Plus you can't beat having Somewhere proper to sit, and cook bacon buttys.... And your own loo !!!

Valid point about sharing costs as friends, there's 2 at my yard however that have this set up and have done for years so it can be done with no issues, it wouldn't worry me either doing with a good friend whom I trusted.. But a good point to highlight defo.

newrider.com