Chanter again :(

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
I start chanter on two danilion a day a while ago and have kept a close eye on him this week I kept the boys on over night for two nights and he hardly touched his hay. I went to turn out and couldn’t due to the snow drifts blocking the field so kept them in that day.

He didn’t eat much all day again. The same the next night they went back out yesterday.

In today for cuddles and groom and he has started holding one back leg up and it shakes not violently but shakes.

He was holding his weight and looked great but today he looked like he has dropped off.

I know he will not do another winter I know this but I also want to do the right thing by him.

So the question is do I up the danilion to see him through the next few weeks then drop off and let him enjoy summer or make a call now. This is so hard he is such a character but his welfare is more important to me than anything.

Oh hun, I don’t have an answer just sending lots of hugs x
You know him best and you know you will do your best by him no matter when you decide the time is right.

Dont know what to suggest other than ul make the right decision by him, u know him best. (((Hugs)))

Oh it is one of the hardest decisions to make, my heart goes out to you. You will know when the time is right and if you have doubts then it probably isn't the time to let him go. As the others have said you know him best and will do what's right when the time is right.

Reactions: Prjsmk
Its so hard, I agree that you will know when the time comes.

If it helps, if it were me, based on what you have said here I think I would see how he is once he can get out again now it's warming up, standing in and extreme cold can be so tough on arthritis. If in a few days he's not easier then perhaps a conversation with your vet is in order, they are normally very good in this situation and they know him so will be better placed to give you an opinion. It's terrible when they get to that age, I remember doing it with phoenix and my then vet was brilliant.

OBC I feel for you right now. If Kia wasn’t bouncing out of his stable to go out or happily moving around whilst out and not eating I know what I would be doing and it’s heart breaking. I’m tearing up just writing this because I know it would be the right decision by Kia.

If he is in pain and not eating then I think he’s telling you something. Massive hugs to you and your old boy. They have massive pieces of you after so long don’t they xx

Sorry to hear this. My vet said if you have to use more than 2 bute a day long term then you would have to consider what's in the best interest. I was advised I could use up to 4 a day but only short term as it will effect the liver and kidneys.
It has been extremely cold so it is perhaps not the best week to make a decision. If he stops eating then obviously the system will close down. Can you offer anything alternative to hay. Also could you do some hedgerow picking and add some ivy into the hay net. Not ivy berries as they are poisonous. Ivy is a good medicine and can encourage them to start eating.

So sorry OBC. I know you'll make the right call when the time comes. You'll just know. Huge hugs to you. X

Its so hard, I agree that you will know when the time comes.

If it helps, if it were me, based on what you have said here I think I would see how he is once he can get out again now it's warming up, standing in and extreme cold can be so tough on arthritis. If in a few days he's not easier then perhaps a conversation with your vet is in order, they are normally very good in this situation and they know him so will be better placed to give you an opinion. It's terrible when they get to that age, I remember doing it with phoenix and my then vet was brilliant.

This, and if I was thinking of having to make a decision about his future then I wouldn't have any qualms about upping his danilon for a few days either, to put it bluntly whatever you decide you aren't worrying about possible consequences in 5 years time so use it now to buy you both some breathing space. If 3 danilon a day & back to his normal time out doesn't show an improvement then I think I'd feel that was my decision made for me.

(((Hugs))), it's never easy but I think it's even worse when there isn't a clear cut decision x

It’s been a difficult weather situation which has forced him to be stuck inside and not moving. He’s bound to be stiff and unhappy. I’d see how things are over the next few days.
Please try not to beat yourself up over this. No one else can judge what decision you take and when.

I would give it a few weeks to see if he picks up when spring arrives, which it will at some point! The weather has been so bitterly cold and I'm not surprised he is struggling at the moment. It is such a hard position for you to be in.

So sorry to read this, it must be really difficult for you. Big hugs for Chanter, I know you'll do the right thing by him. I hope he feels better tomorrow x

If he was mine ( bearing in mind only you really know how bad he really is ) I would up the pain meds short term to see if he is any better on them. I would prefer to have my last memories in Spring, seeing him out in the field , grazing with the sun on his back.

I know that this is not possible in a lot of cases and I certainly wouldn’t try to prolong a life if he was suffering badly, but if you can get him through to Spring an pain meds, he may perk up with the better weather anyway, so you could give him one last Summer.

So sorry you’re having to make this decision.

Reactions: carthorse
They went back out last night and he is eating hay again he is happier out then in. I was watching him this morning and he is still struggling on that one leg.

I am going to up his meds as @carthorse said there really is no long term here. He is 28 this year and I will not put him through another winter. I will try and keep him comfy till the spring at least then make a call. That said only if the upped meds make a difference if they don't then I will not prolong it a day more than needed.

Thank you all for your kind words.

the weather will improve now and its not like we are coming into winter, we are coming into spring so fingers crossed he can have a lovely summer with the sun on his back and some lovely grass x

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Sorry to read this, I'd have no worries upping the pain meds to get him through a few days but like you've said if they don't help rethink. I'm sure whatever you do will be the right thing. Sending hugs to you both, I know I will be facing this with my old boy possibly this year and I can't think about it without getting upset.

I've nothing to add to what others have said but I'm thinking of you too. Of course you'll do the best thing for him but it must be so hard x

newrider.com