Caymen stuck in fence...fire service rescue!

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
I got a call from a fellow livery at 11.30 this morning to say that Caymen was stuck in the fence. I was getting dressed as I was on the phone (I work nights) and they were saying they didnt have anything to cut the fence with. There was two liveries there and keeping him calm.

I dashed round to my neighbours house to borrow tools and set off for the yard. I called my friend back to say I was on my way and had tools.

I arrived at the field and literally high jumped the fence. Caymen was very calm but pleased to see me. It looked like he just had his leg caught on the fence but in closer inspection, the wire was stuck between his hoof and shoe. He only got shod yesterday and it was on tight but the wire would not budge. My friend started to try to cut the fence but it was not happening.

The fire service appeared at this point and started to cut the fence. After one cut, his leg was able to be on the ground, they then pulled the wire through his shoe as it would not come out the way it went in.

How relieved was I?? He was great and stayed very calm. However, there was a point that he twisted his leg around and nearly fell over.. he could have broken his leg if he went down :frown: I was not there at that point and my friend did not tell me so I didnt worry even more. It was at that point they called the fire service.

So he is on box rest until my farrier comes out tommorow to see him. He walked back to the yard fine but I'm not sure what he will be like when I go back up shortly.

If I was not working tonight, I would be indulging in a very stiff drink after my last yard visit.

And just because we all love photos, here is the man himself, taken after the drama .....

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 59
Poor Caymen .. bless his cottons :(. I have everything crossed that all turns out well ..

I think you should have a stiff drink once you have finished anyway..

Oh blimey heck what a drama!!! Glad to hear he is okay though - especially love the thought of you hurdling over the fence without a second though!

Sending healing vibes for his foot though! x

Flippin eck! Glad everyone is ok, and really hope after a couple of hours rest he is not sore or anything.

I know exactly how you must have felt, I have had 2 of these instances with different horses, big kisses to caymen:happy:

gosh stress, and worst nightmare!!

lucky it was between the shoe and the hoof though because we have had a TB been in on box rest for two months because he cut his pastern deeply by getting his foot caught in stock fencing....lucky Caymen!

(although must admit, am surprised the fire service was called out?)

Blimey - what will they get up to while were not there to watch over them!:frown:

Glad he seems Ok now - but wouldnt be surprised if he feels a little stiff tomorrow - how long had he been caught up do you know?

Glad your friends dealt with it so well - and have to say if I hadnt got the right tools and couldnt get the wire off his hoof and shoe I would have called the Fire service too. :smile:

I knew that horse would be a character! Never a dull moment eh??

Hope Cayment is ok tomorrow, sounds as though he was a really good sensible boy waiting for his mum.

Oh bless, I think it is so lovely when they are pleased to see their own human in times of need.

Tucking in quite nicely from his pic - spec all in all he had a lovely morning for himself - Mum rushing down, liveries all around, fire brigade appearing!

Hope he is absolutely fine and no problems.

Oh Lord, he does find ways to try you, doesn't he?

At least he was calm and easy to handle, what a good boy.

Hope you had several stiff ones and that he is fine tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Jeez! What a fright CMP!

Caymen sounds like he was a star though and very calm and sensible despite the chaos.

And I would have been calling the fire brigade too if I couldn't cut the wire. In fact I would have been calling my mate who's fireman in blind panic telling him to get his arse up to the field!

Nothing like frightening you half to death is there ... sheesh, with Caymens antics, and Joe (Trewsers lad) amongst others, there are going to be a lot of grey haired New Riders soon :giggle:

Glad he`s ok though, and i hope he`s not too sore or bruised over the next couple of days.

Were the firemen dishy ? ? ? Well someone has to ask these questions ... :biggrin: :redcarded:

Hells bells! Says as lot for you and the way you've taught him that he was so cool about the whole thing. Bows' Down...

Hope he's ok tomoz and bloody lucky you've got some together mates to who were there-phew.

Now bricking it as I'm overseas for the next 3 weeks and the YO is "looking after" Benji a:)

Oh my goodness, glad he appears to be OK but agree with whoever else said it that he will probably be a bit stiff at the very least tomorrow.

Fingers crossed apart from that he is Fine xx

newrider.com