Can an allergic cough turn viral?

Nookster

Oct 21, 2002
Can a cough that i assume came from a reaction from an arena surface. It came after being at a competition. Then went after medicine from vet. 3 weeks no cough. Went back to said arena for a lesson and ten mins in there he started coughing. Away from there again he stopped.

Now my worry is can this cough be passed on and somehow his allergic reation to this surface has now turned viral and been passed around the yard? I ask as another 2 horses have started coughing but have not been exposed to this arena?

No an allergic reaction won't become something contagious.

BUT having a cough means the airways are imflammed and that makes them more suspeptable to allowing infection in.

It depends what meds the horse was on - some treat symptoms, not causes so once they've worn off and back to the trigger, they cough again.

It is possible the hors picked something up at a comp that he wouldn't otherwise have (due to imflammed airways) and passed it on, but it's equally as possible the other horses coughs have nothing to do with it.

His breathing was fine before the comp. Day after he started coughing. I never linked the two until a girl had asthma problems afterbeing there, my OH had breathing/asthma problems and other horses had also. This is why i linked the two. Nothing else had changed.

Cough only appeared when exercised and continued didn't ease away.

he had week antibiotics and ventapalmin(?) Cough went.

Started riding. No cough 2 weeks passed

Went back to said arena with no cough and as said above it started. When he got home i gave him ventapalmin for a couple of days and it has gone again.

Horses that have it - one stabled next to him. The other he has hacked with but not had much contact. This horse is the one that really seems to be coughing.

That info help anymore

My boy hasn't coughed since

The ventipulmen will have helped open up his airways and make the cough seem better and he would have healed himself over the next few days once the irritant had gone. Antibiotics probably had very little to do with it but they make the owners and vet feel better;)

It sounds like a reaction to the dust (I doubt it's allergic, probably more mechanical irritation) and that the other horses are totally unrelated.

newrider.com