Campaign for Safer Roads for Horse Riders

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
BBC Breakfast are going to be covering this shortly (as in 'coming up later in the program' this morning) - I might have set off for work by the time they get round to it, but good to see it's being covered on national tv.

In our area very sadly a horse was recently killed on the roads. The rider came off and the horse bolted and hit a car. The driver of the car was very lucky to survive, but it was not their fault really. They were going a bit fast for the bend but the horse came from nowhere.

We do however have alot of drivers round here that pass far too quickly and far too fast! It's been an accident waiting to happen for years as we have a blind bend to negotiate.

We have busy roads to ride on to get to bridle ways and it has taken years and years to convince the council to even spend some money on some signs to warn drivers. Since the horses death we now have a new corral style road crossing and they have added new signs and made improvements to the bridleway.

They still refuse to cut back the shrubbery on the blind bend however and I'm not quite sure why.

One of the ladies on my yard has started a local campaign to get riders wearing more hi viz which is a great idea too. We always go out decked out like Christmas trees but not everyone around here does. The other night it was almost dark and I met 2 horses on the road bot wearing any hiviz (TBH it was dark enough they should of had lights). I felt like shouting at them about how stupid their actions were. Of course I didn't but it's very frustrating all this work is being put in to keep them safe but they choose not to wear hi viz at dusk.

I really hope that drivers will think twice about whizzing past horses too close now, just look at that devastating accident recently resulting in the death of a wonderful funeral carriage horse. All down to a little impatience...

I wear hi viz and I can think of three riders who don't round here.
In fact I refuse to ride out with anyone who doesn't.
These are the people who let us down. It's 50/50 cars slow a bit AND we make easy for them to see us, say thank you.
Today I lost count of how many cars I said thanks to. But I have noticed on one Road generally riders don't give a fig even for a bus!

I believe Prince Charles has written to the owner who lost their funeral horse. But I haven't heard if anyone has been charged.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
I never realised motorbikes could skid so easily! Someone commented about horse manure on the road causing accidents because of this.

I never realised motorbikes could skid so easily! Someone commented about horse manure on the road causing accidents because of this.
I don't follow that logic. They are in the middle of a lane/ centre of a road, we are in the gutter, so no where near them.
What about farm animals moving from place to place, tractor and trailers driving about leaving mud. Roadworks, building work, or just simply slowing down.

I don't follow that logic. They are in the middle of a lane/ centre of a road, we are in the gutter, so no where near them.
What about farm animals moving from place to place, tractor and trailers driving about leaving mud. Roadworks, building work, or just simply slowing down.

No me neither! Not like you trot on into the middle and make sure the horse poos right there.......

Not being a horse rider I see it from both sides. Cars should slow down but there's riders in my village who trot up the road two abreast with no thought to others. Half the time they don't even accknolage car driver when they slow down to pass them but if a car goes a bit close or fast they soon start giving the finger or shouting abuse at the car. Both party's have a part to play in making roads safe.
I learn as a kid how dangerous a horse can be. I rode last one on a motor bike admittedly too fast & the horse went mad nearly throwing it's rider & kicking me. I learnt from that too slow down.
Everyone in the country should keep the roads safe.

I could have slapped some woman today. I was hacking out and on the way back which involves a little road work. There was me and my pony, my friend on her horse and my 12 year old daughter walking and this stupid woman flew up behind us and then sped past us. I shouted SLOW DOWN to her and was sworn at for my trouble. Nice.

@SeeingSpots get a camera. I had a few reasons for wanting one, traffic wasn't on that list. But since getting it and watching footage back, I think you ####! Idiot for passing there!

I turned in from a major to a minor road, I then noticed a car had indicated to turn in just after. I waited and we both thanked each other.
Along comes another car the other way. This pulls into a passing bay to let the car go I just had. I was about to trot her on, but it pulls out to squeeze by me.

I just don't understand the mentality in some drivers. That said, I do understand @Stu perspective as I have met some right ignorant riders on my travels and I'm a rider myself! No high vis and not even light clothing either, no manners and no courtesy to traffic.

The horse poo and bikes is something they teach you to be aware of on your cbt here. (My cbt was interesting as a horse rider and moped rider!) Alot of the smaller country lanes are narrow and cars can be just as ignorant to bike riders as they are horses. I got pushed into the camber more times than I care to remember on my moped by ignorant cars drivers especially on the country lanes and been a horsey area you would be hard pushed not to see horse poo on your travels. This area is popular with bikes in the summer season and the Think Bike signs get but up around the roads. There are idiot bike riders too mind just as there are car drivers,lorry drivers and horse riders. There needs to be respect and understanding on all sides from everyone and a speed limit change on country bendy roads imo.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
Our roads near the yard are National (60mph) limit but nobody listens. That said, there are LOTS of blind, tight S bends which require you to slow down considerably otherwise you risk coming off the road. This happened to a woman only a month or two ago and her car ended up in the ditch. We are also fortunate to be able to hear and see (through the hedges) vehicles most of the time.

newrider.com