calming supplements...

we used to feed a herbal calming supplement and it did take a few weeks to have an effect. We were advised to give it a month to work! I have tried a faster acting calmer for travelling (NAF magic calmer) but that actually made the horse MORE hyper! I'd give it a few weeks and then assess if it's working :)

Global Herbs do Instant Calming sachets they do what they say! Have used them to great effect on more than one occasion. Anything else usually takes a couple of weeks - I have tried various long term ones - mainly for Joe in the past. I think it was a Naff one I used and also Settleeze - not sure how effective they are but then again he could have been worse without!

It's day 5 of Minnie being on her supplement and I got a text from my RI saying she was so much more focused today (could also be that she is finally settling in) but so far so good...

In my experience they go in one end and out the other and nothing happens in between.

In my experience they go in one end and out the other and nothing happens in between.

I tend to agree, I think they have a bigger effect on the rider/handler than the horse. That said, a calmer rider often means a calmer horse so the effect is real (though a dose of dutch courage may be more appropriate & enjoyable :giggle:).

Magnesium has, I believe, been proven to have an effect if the diet is deficient in it - this is often a problem with spring grass.

Some herbs have a mild sedative effect which would also make the horse calmer, valerian is one. Not sure I'd want to use something like that long term though.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
newrider.com