Buying first horse but worried about colour

JazzyBoots

Aug 1, 2022
Hello,

I’m buying my first horse but have been riding for 15 years+. I found the best girl, who has all the buttons and quietness I’m looking for. She is an Andalusian/Appy cross from beautiful parents. She’s white with the leopard spots on her hind end and legs and mottling on face. I really like it! But I’m worried she won’t show well with the pink/black mottling under a very white coat. Should I care?

Last edited:
Are you buying her with showing as your main interest? If so it may be an issue, particularly in non-performance classes, but the fact she isn't a purebred would probably be a bigger one. It won't be an issue at all for things like dressage, show jumping or eventing. Outside the "beauty queen" classes there's a lot of truth in the old saying "a good horse is never a bad colour".

Only you can decide what matters most to you.

Are you buying her with showing as your main interest? If so it may be an issue, particularly in non-performance classes, but the fact she isn't a purebred would probably be a bigger one. It won't be an issue at all for things like dressage, show jumping or eventing. Outside the "beauty queen" classes there's a lot of truth in the old saying "a good horse is never a bad colour".

^^^^Sums it up nicely.

Reactions: JazzyBoots
Showing wouldnt matter to me but a grey with pink skin might. My much loved RS oversize Connie died of Melanoma aged 16. I would none the less buy a grey Connie, if I buy a horse. I was talking about it with OH yesterday.

Showing wouldnt matter to me but a grey with pink skin might. My much loved RS oversize Connie died of Melanoma aged 16. I would none the less buy a grey Connie, if I buy a horse. I was talking about it with OH yesterday.
Oh I’m sorry…are you saying it’s a health risk? Pics below!B767AD9D-08B4-4932-9CF5-1C0E669E9FD7.jpeg79E758C8-4E7A-4EC4-B64F-0C72E6521C5E.jpeg

Thank you! She would be shown in eventing so no worry about being purebred

In eventing colour is completely irrelevant - she could be pink with purple spots and get the same marks.

@Skib and @JazzyBoots melanomas are linked to the greying out gene, not skin colour. So as this mare is part bred Appaloosa and showing that colouring I'd say there's a good chance she was born this colour, isn't greying out and therefore melanoma is no higher a risk than in any other horse. Sun block may be useful on the nose though!

In eventing colour is completely irrelevant - she could be pink with purple spots and get the same marks.

@Skib and @JazzyBoots melanomas are linked to the greying out gene, not skin colour. So as this mare is part bred Appaloosa and showing that colouring I'd say there's a good chance she was born this colour, isn't greying out and therefore melanoma is no higher a risk than in any other horse. Sun block may be useful on the nose though!
Thank you!

Reactions: carthorse
If she's going to event and you like her and like her colour, then go for it! No disadvantage in having an Appy when eventing.

If you are not showing, why does this concern you?

Personally I wouldn't choose a grey because mine live out 24/7 and it's clay ish soil. So they would just look like a light dun all year round.

If you are not showing, why does this concern you?

Personally I wouldn't choose a grey because mine live out 24/7 and it's clay ish soil. So they would just look like a light dun all year round.
It doesn’t! I guess I had a few people comment on her face but I actually really like it. And she frames up beautifully and has had some nice dressage training (she knows more than I do!)

Reactions: carthorse
I think she has a pretty face. The only thing I would worry about is sunburn on the pink bits, but sun cream and a long uvb flymask will sort that out. Good luck with her, she looks lovely.

She's very pretty - my old boy was a grey (pure white from 8 years on), but his skin was black. Only problem I ever had was getting him clean for shows! From the way you talk about her, I think you're hooked - go for it - if you think she's beautiful, she is.

She's very pretty - my old boy was a grey (pure white from 8 years on), but his skin was black. Only problem I ever had was getting him clean for shows! From the way you talk about her, I think you're hooked - go for it - if you think she's beautiful, she is.
You’re right haha I am hooked. She’s so lovely…thank you!

• Love
Reactions: Huggy
It doesn’t! I guess I had a few people comment on her face but I actually really like it. And she frames up beautifully and has had some nice dressage training (she knows more than I do!)
People will always comment regardless of what horse someone buys.
Listen to those who can be pleased for you and say something positive.
Concern yes, negative comments no.

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
The only problem with a different coloured horse out competing is you are noticeable. Which is great when it is all going well and.l not so good when it isn’t 😂

I'm always nervous of using suncream, as most of it is carcinogenic. She does look lovely though and congratulations on your purchase.
I am picking mine (2nd after 30 years of not being with ponies) up tomorrow!

newrider.com