Bum high at 7......will he grow out of it??

Photo of a photo
But this was Lucy in the winter between 6 & 7 -- she's standing on straight, flat ground! Honest!
Image8.jpg

Compared to this summer (aged 9 and a bit)
lucy2_001.jpg

Wow Soot-she has really evened out! She looks like she is stood on a slope in that first pic :D

There is a slight slant on the picture, but nothing like her bumhighness ;). That winter it was decided that she had "finished growing" ...
There are some slower maturing breeds, but I think a lot of it is luck of the draw - so hopefully for you, your boy will even out ;).

It's possible he'll level out though the odds aren't in your favour. Jim's an ID & he only came right up at the front when he was 8 but IDs do tend to be late developers.

Zeb is bum high and I hope he will even out but I'm not hedging my bets. He was sold as being 8yrs although there is the possibility he is more like 6.

So jumpers bump makes them more short striding but how does being bum high affect a adult horse? I assume it makes it harder for them to work off their forehand? Can it cause back problems?

Here's a (terrible) pic of Zeb

EBAY1014.jpg

Goose rumped is not the same thing as a jumpers bump ..or so i thought...
A jumpers bump is formed when there is a strain or tearing of ligiments around the sacro-illiac joint. Either from over use, or sometimes caused by a fall. Not something a horse is born with like a goose rump.

I'm with jumpingislife on this one. Jumper's bump is aquired (often while jumping or hunting, hence the name) due to injury.

Goose rump is an unrelated conformational fault.

I'm not honestly aware of any really serious problems goose rump can cause to be honest. It's commonly seen in draft horses and some coloured cobby types. It's vaguely seen in some circles as an advantage (sports such as barrel racing for example where the horse needs to be able to get his back end right underneath him) and isn't an issue for draft types that work.

Shortening of strides might occur and cosmetically it might be seen as a fault but it's not as big an issue as say a long back and weak loin from a work point of view.

Jumper's bump is different - it's caused by an injury and can be painful. I'd rather a goose rump over a jumper's bump because of the implications the latter has from an injury point of view.

Oops, just realised I answered the wrong question! Sorry lf!

Bum high means a horse will find it harder to raise the back and lift weight off the forehand. It often gives a kind of downhill conformation which can mean the horse is heavy in front and won't find it as easy to shift weight back onto the quarters as a horse who is more level. Again, it's sometimes seen in draft types who are basically built to lean forewards into a collar and pull.

Mine's was croup high when we bought her 41/2 years ago, and she still is at 8, for her it's a conformation thing, and I very much doubt she'll change.

Just have to say WOW to Soot; how white is Lucy!! She's glow-in-the-dark clean, very impressed!

Goose rumped is not the same thing as a jumpers bump ..or so i thought...
A jumpers bump is formed when there is a strain or tearing of ligiments around the sacro-illiac joint. Either from over use, or sometimes caused by a fall. Not something a horse is born with like a goose rump.

Sorry if I wasn't clear :eek:... some people call it a jumpers bump .. which, as you've pointed out is incorrect.. although there is a random belief that a goose rump makes a good jumper :confused:

Oops, just realised I answered the wrong question! Sorry lf!

Bum high means a horse will find it harder to raise the back and lift weight off the forehand. It often gives a kind of downhill conformation which can mean the horse is heavy in front and won't find it as easy to shift weight back onto the quarters as a horse who is more level. Again, it's sometimes seen in draft types who are basically built to lean forewards into a collar and pull.

Probably explains why he finds it easy to run off:p although we're getting there on that one. It is handy to know though as I can now anticipate he might find working from behind/off his forehand harder then some when we start coming back into work properly.

Sorry to have hi jacked OP's thread:eek:

Bum ho....bum high...it doesn't affect them that much in fact there could be an advantage with the muscle for jumping. If you are worried, why don't you tie a pair of bricks to his front feet to bring him up on the front more?;)

newrider.com