boots - short or long?

kusha

Official Photographer
Feb 17, 2008
Renfrewshire
Hi

Have recently started back riding a 20+ year gap. For my first couple of lessons I borrowed some gear from a friend. She lent me her boots and half chaps. I learnt to ride with long boots (does anyone remember Dunlops & Stylos?) so this was new for me. I have to say I much prefer the boots and chaps and have now bought my own!!

My two daughters are about to start riding next week (age 9 & 10). Does anyone have any advice on which would be better - short or long.:confused:

short boots when you are younger, they will be easier to fit to short calfs, and less likely to nip behind the knee.
maybe chaps aswell if you wanted it to look more like long boots.

Yeah I agree - short boots are probably the most comfortable option unless you can get a pair of really well fitting long boots - trouble is they grow so quickly at that age they won't be in them long anyway!! :D

My daughter had lessons at the age of 4/5 but now she's not really bothered (and we can't afford it) but back then we had jod boots for her which she really liked. I used to have long boots but they gave me constant grief - too tight round the calves and it felt like my ankle was going to dislocate when I tried to pull them off (OH usually gave me a hand at this point!)!!! :eek:

according to all three of my riding instructors, short boots are better as you can supposedly feel the horse better with your legs and chaps :D
I would like to try long boots but my legs are too fat to go in them :eek:
I reccomend short/jod boots with chaps, but make sure your chaps fit properly because if they are to big/small they will pinch/rub your legs which make riding uncomfortable and mountig even harder lol. The first time i wore chaps it took me the best part of 5 minutes to mount,a dn they kept squeaking as they rubbed on the saddle (they still squeak :eek: ) :D

Here's a question : should chaps be the same colour as the boots or does it not really matter? And do they have to match ** jods? :confused:

I used to work at a riding school and i think it depends on the yard they are at and whether they'll be helping out. For real beginners it doesn't make a huge difference to their riding, but you might find if they are jumping off the ponys into puddles and mud or helping out mucking etc, long rubber boots will also do as wellies to save on the short term expense, after all, they might not like it.

If they do like it, you could upgrade them to jod boots and half chaps, either as their riding improves or in the summer months - you get awesome pink ones (if your girls are girly). But i know from experience (still bad for it, aged 31) many short leather boots and chaps have had a shortened lifestyle due to mucking out and wading through dubs!

The brighter the better - save the boring stuff for shows!

Fi x

Last edited:
I have long rubber boots for rainy days, muckers for the yard work, but I love my short boots with chaps. Mountain Horse make the best - they are expensive but worth every penny! Get my chaps from Ebay around £10 for Shires chaps and also my Jods.

according to all three of my riding instructors, short boots are better as you can supposedly feel the horse better with your legs and chaps

I agree short boots for kids, general riding, working in the yard etc.

But I disagree about feeling the horse better through them. What happens is that you have several layers of fabric between you and the horse, especially at ankle level. So for some people that might give more contact area than if their legs just hang naturally.

But you get most feel of the horse by riding bareback, and soft leather long dressage boots (the expensive sort) give the same feel of having your leg right close against the horse. They leave your ankle supple and your leg soft. I didnt get proper long boots till I had been riding five years and felt I deserved them.
Now I would never go to a dressage lesson without them.

short boots for my girly

she has wellies for the yard (and muckers but we do own our own pony so we could justify the expense as she is on the yard nearly every day!)

I had short boots & chaps for riding

I have muckers and Muck boots for the yard

If I was only riding, I'd go for short boots & chaps

For her, I'd still go for joddy boots (ie short boots) and then a £2 pair of wellies for her to muck out with

i thought the poster/thread starter was asking about the best boots for children?
not what it is best to ride in :confused:

for young children who are still growing i would use short boots as they are comfier and less likely to be too long or short in the calf.
also less likely to nip when getting on or in rising trot
and cheaper when you are likely to grow out of them in a matter of weeks anyway :D

Sorry. If it was just about children I got it wrong. Short boots every time. But the three RIs quoted by midnightmare looked as if it applied to everyone.

sorry i just re-read my post- i sound awful :eek:
i wasnt been nasty or anything just checking that people realised it was for children rather than an adult :eek:

new riders

Hey, I know this is not the way to post but i found this site a few days ago and have stacks of questions/ advice needed but cant work out for the life of me how to start a new thread! I know probably REALLY obvious but HELP

I have both.

Im aiming to get some new long boots soon and relegate my current one to my 'day boots' not 'show boots'. I want made to measure tho as I have long skinny legs and big feet.

Edited to add - to beging i would get short boots and chaps - i cant ride without chaps.

Last edited:
Most of the younger kids i see riding wear wellies! and so do i now! my RI agreed with me they're actually more comfy to ride in and they have a heel so theres no problems!

I had a £280 pair of long boots, wore them for many years but never liked them!

Managed to sell them at a good price, thank god, and have replaced them with lovely leather show gaiters .... **HAPPY**

newrider.com