Body Protectors... (Rodney Powell, Champion Cobra)

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
I used to have a Champion Cobra BP and I loved it because it was really comfortable to wear and very adjustable so you could get it just right. Now I sold it when Stevie went lame as I figured my XC days were over as Rocky wasn't XC fit (or rather his legs weren't) and Alfie didn't jump. Anyway a year on and Alfie is over his fear of jumping and is, in fact, loving it. However he's still frightened of coloured fillers (bad SJ accident in the past - possibly overfaced etc. Not sure but he was put into York sales for a reason!). So I'm going to try XC schooling because I think he'll enjoy it. He LOVES jumping now, and will jump any height of gappy upright or spread, but put a filler within 100 yards and he's in pieces. Major improvement from when he came - he wouldn't even trot past a jump or a pole on the ground, he was terrified.
Anyway, rambling over :) I need a new body protector and I am exploring the ones that are out there. I want one that zips up the front :)

What do you think of Rodney Powell ones? They're not as expensive as the Cobras and look to be good but are they like riding in cardboard? Answers on a postcard :D

Last edited:
I like the look of the new ones that are more flexible, forgotten the name sorry.

They are really lightweight, it makes my reiver feel like a piece of cardboard.

I have a rodney powell one and love it! They do two types now, I have the slightly older one which is rather stiff until you've worn it a few times, the memory foam is heat sensitive so once you've warmed it up with your body heat it molds to you and I forget I've got it on! They do have a newer one now that is a lot more flexible I've tried one on and that is mega comfy, I'll be investing in one when mine is due for a renewal!

I love Rodney Powall too for their complete range of sizing and if nothing off the shelf fits they'll make to measure for not much extra

I have a Rodney Powell its great! I've had it about 4 years - must admit, it does take a bit of getting used to, but once its on (wear it to tack up in then it doesn't feel too alien) it is really quite comfy.

newrider.com