bit problem???

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
Peds has started snatching at the reins when ridden. I don't ride on a particularly short or tight rein and he will snatch until let out to the buckle and there is no contact on his mouth at all (and as he's a spooky bugger I can't ride him like that!! Plus it's not practical )

He had his teeth done two weeks ago, vet said he had some sharp edges and that I should get him done again in 6 months and get him sedated so they can have a really good go at them (He was being a bit of a wally which he isn't normally but vet assured me that he had got all the sharp bits and that he would be comfortable) The snatching has gotten worse since he was rasped. He would normally only do it at the end of a long ride when he was tired and needed to stretch his muscles. Now he does it from word go and even when schooling which he normally never does.

I'm wondering if he's just not comfortable in that bit anymore. (French link full cheek snaffle) Or could it be a saddle issue???

I was planning on getting his saddle checked in the eastern hols which are 4 weeks away but maybe I need to organise that sooner?

Just speaking out loud really but, any thoughts?

See Peds is normally fine on a contact until he gets tired. And out hacking I always give him lots of rests on a long rein and don't ride him into a contact like I do when schooling. I dunno. Think I'm going to get in touch with my saddle fitter, just in case. He's had his saddle for a while now anyway and has lost weight over winter.

If he normally only does it when his muscles get achy after a lot of work I'd probably go for body work /massage first, if the teeth were sharp hecould have been carrying himself differently and since the rasp changed it and thats making him sorer, or perhaps the vet found an ouchy bit and couldn't quite get enough off it with him being a muppet?

Reactions: Cremola Foam
I have nothing to add, only that I'm in the exact same situation right now! We're thinking it's a bit issue in our case as well- she's been in her full cheek snaffle since she was broken and my RI seems to think it's time for a change, probably to a French link or lozenge of some sort so we're going to try that on Monday. She started snatching and head tossing when schooling because she was tired too and now it's become full weight leaning on the bit whenever she can get away with it! Sorry for hijacking your thread, just glad im not the only one! I'll be following closely to see how you get on, so please keep us updated on how you get on.

Peds has started snatching at the reins when ridden. I don't ride on a particularly short or tight rein and he will snatch until let out to the buckle and there is no contact on his mouth at all (and as he's a spooky bugger I can't ride him like that!! Plus it's not practical )

He had his teeth done two weeks ago, vet said he had some sharp edges and that I should get him done again in 6 months and get him sedated so they can have a really good go at them (He was being a bit of a wally which he isn't normally but vet assured me that he had got all the sharp bits and that he would be comfortable) The snatching has gotten worse since he was rasped. He would normally only do it at the end of a long ride when he was tired and needed to stretch his muscles. Now he does it from word go and even when schooling which he normally never does.

I'm wondering if he's just not comfortable in that bit anymore. (French link full cheek snaffle) Or could it be a saddle issue???

I was planning on getting his saddle checked in the eastern hols which are 4 weeks away but maybe I need to organise that sooner?

Just speaking out loud really but, any thoughts?

Toffee does this when he can't be bothered to work. I give him a kick and ride him through it and he gives up eventually. He only tries it now when the kids ride him lol

That's interesting Kirsty. I started using the full cheek with Peds when I first got him on recomendation from an instructor as we didn't have much steering. He's much better schooled now so perhaps we need a change too. I was thinking a D ring but would really like to get a professional involved as to what bit and mouth piece would be best.

Jessey, yes I'm inclined to agree with you there. He is very itch round his withers and I'm wondering if there is a bit of tenderness there as he really enjoys a good rub! I have a friend with an equissage but will probably get the physio booked in first. Again something that I was due to do in the Easter hols in 4 weeks time but will prob need to bring forward. I'm taking him to an outdoor arena tomorrow so will see how he is there.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com