bit advice

xox stace xox

Honey's Golden Surprise
Oct 23, 2006
right my mare has a very fleshy, large tongue. And doesnt appear to be comfortable in the bit i have.

shes currently in an eggbutt snaffle, have also tried a french link which was a little better.

shes had everything checked

so any reccomendations that would sit well in her mouth and give her room

what about something ported, llike a myler low port comfort snaffle ? gives the tongue more room yet still mild.

thanks for the quick reply

are those dressage and showing legal ? as i thought of using one but cant say ive ever seen anyone using them in dressage etc

also thought about trying a 'magic bit' the one with the ported mouthpiece (straight bar)- they any good ?

I would agree that maybe she needs a ported mouthpiece.If not a ported snaffle then maybe a cambridge kimblewick without the curb attached so it acts no differently than a snaffle.

My mare has a big tongue, she like a thin bit. Cottage Craft do a French link with a thin mouthpiece that might be worth a go :)

I agree with iron maiden, thin bits are good for fleshy tongues, i prefer french links to jointed, espec when they have a fleshy tongue or low palate. or what about a waterford?

Last edited:
newrider.com